Junk Email - Spam, Unsubscribe, or Both?

Closed Thread
Old 02-05-2023, 08:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,670 Times in 5,225 Posts
Default Junk Email - Spam, Unsubscribe, or Both?

When I start to get a large number of spam emails, I have used the spam button and the unsubscribe button. Some people will say to not use the unsubscribe option, because it can have the opposite effect. But, sometimes, it allows you to unsubscribe from multiple senders, and it seems to have some effect. I cannot determine which option is better. Also, is the spam button supposed to prevent future emails from that sender, or does that depend on the email provider? I still use AOL, but I know I am out-of-date.
Old 02-05-2023, 09:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
When I start to get a large number of spam emails, I have used the spam button and the unsubscribe button. Some people will say to not use the unsubscribe option, because it can have the opposite effect. But, sometimes, it allows you to unsubscribe from multiple senders, and it seems to have some effect. I cannot determine which option is better. Also, is the spam button supposed to prevent future emails from that sender, or does that depend on the email provider? I still use AOL, but I know I am out-of-date.
Every time you use the unsubscribe button, you send a ping back to the sender acknowledging that you are an actual person who can be reached. Spam senders, bots, and AI programs all love that, it means they can send you more. It also teaches the AI programs the patterns of the ones you reject, so they can become more intelligent and try different types of e-mails that you haven't rejected (yet). That means eventually they'll hit on one that you open.

The only things you should do with spam e-mail:

1. move to spam box/mark as spam
2. use "delete all" or "empty" to empty the spam box once a month
3. if you suspect one of them is actually malicious and appears to be from a legitimate company, forward it to that company's web security department (most people won't do this step but it's an option).

That's it. Don't open them, don't read them, don't respond to them, don't ask your mail service to send them a message to unsubscribe.
Old 02-05-2023, 09:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,387 Times in 2,065 Posts

Quote:
What the Spam and Unsubscribe buttons do are functions of your mail tool. The most likely explanation is Spam moves the message to the Spam (or Junk) folder while Unsubscribe sends a message back to the sender to take you off their list.

I avoid Unsubscribe. I assume that most of the Spam mail I receive are from people trying to rip me off and therefore I have no expectation they would honor an unsubscribe request. On the contrary, I would expect that any response from me would instead put me on a list of live humans they might be able to scam in the future.

I use the Spam button and let the mail go to the Spam folder. This doesn't stop future messages but it automatically moves them out of the way. I look at the folder occasionally to make sure their is nothing in there that I would have liked to see; if I find something then I tell the tool that this particular message is not Spam. My system is configured to delete anything in that folder that is more than 30 days old so it never grows larger than a couple hundred messages.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 02-05-2023, 09:35 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,178 Times in 759 Posts

Just send it to spam and be done with it.
Old 02-05-2023, 10:23 AM

I hit the block sender box and I’m done with it until the next person sends the same email.
Old 02-05-2023, 10:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,670 Times in 5,225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioshooter View Post
I hit the block sender box and I’m done with it until the next person sends the same email.
I don't think I have a block sender box.
Old 02-05-2023, 10:46 AM
Soaring Eagle member

For senders I subscribed to I use the unsubscribed button. Delete all the others.
Old 02-05-2023, 12:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
For senders I subscribed to I use the unsubscribed button. Delete all the others.
Bad idea to click on links to unsubscribe even from senders you subscribe to. Instead, go to their website, log into your account there, and find the mail preferences options in your account. Unsubscribe from there.

Otherwise you could be clicking on a link of a phishing scammer who is spoofing (pretending to be) the company you subscribe to.
Old 02-05-2023, 01:04 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Just mark it as spam. Never to see your inbox again
Old 02-05-2023, 03:45 PM

I primarily use gmail. I use unsubsribe only for websites that i am thoroughly familiar with and have an account.

Gmail has the ability to easily design your own filters to block any email. You can block by email domain, specific words or phrases in either subject, sender or email content. With these filters you can auto move messages to any folder or auto delete. It is very easy to create/edit filters.

I prefer create my own filters instead of “send to spam”. “Send to spam” has the effect of google sometimes calling mail spam when it is not. The filters you create are not subject to googles interpretation and do not falsely move something to spam when it is not. To create/edit email filters you must log into gmail with your browser

I rarely get spam in my inbox now.
Old 02-05-2023, 05:38 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,769 Times in 3,637 Posts

In General, do not click on anything within an email.

Once you click, you are downloading........downloading a new link, a file, a virus, etc.

Block if you can.
Old 02-05-2023, 08:14 PM

Quote:
i put a spam email in junk mail. it allowed the sender to take over my email address. It took my friend nearly 2 hours to get it back.
Old 02-05-2023, 09:17 PM

The wrong sender can use the unsubscribe to spread your email even farther and wider. I will only unsubscribe if I recognize the outfit.
Another issue is email unsubscribes force you to use script they supply to remove you. Do you trust them ?
All unsubscribes should be required to be simple html code and nothing nefarious.
Old 02-06-2023, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Usually when something has been ordered online, the vendor will continue to send emails, in which case you can Unsubscribe. However, if it’s obviously junk e-mail, then with AOL it’s best to send to Spam only. That way AOL knows to stop sending that vendor ever again and the vendor has no idea if you’re an active e-mail or not.
Old 02-06-2023, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babubhat View Post
Just mark it as spam. Never to see your inbox again
Be careful about what you mark as spam. Your marking something as spam can affect others. Your marking goes back to the mail servers and teaches their spam filters. Once past a certain threshold, the mail server considers mail from that sender as spam and relegates it to the spam folders of other subscribers who use that mail service.

Ah, you say, that's good. Yes, ... for real spam. But what if it is something that someone else actually wants to see, such as the receipts that confirm automatic bill payment, or notices from the USPS about today's arrivals? Those too go to spam once enough people "just mark it as spam."

I want to see when my money is being spent, but too often find those receipts in the spam folder because someone either doesn't know the difference between legitimate mail and spam or finds it easier to "just mark it as spam."

If it is mail from a legitimate sender, that you don't want but might be useful to someone else, the polite thing to do is unsubscribe.

Tags
spam, unsubscribe, button, effect, email

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.