Keys not working & how to write, save, print documents without word ?

Closed Thread
Old 02-15-2021, 07:05 AM

Most of the people answering your question seem to be confused! You said that your “c”, “x”, and “z” keys on your laptop keyboard do not work. People seem to be thinking that your Word software “Activation” key does not work.

One answer referred you to a link about repairing your keyboard, which is what you need to do.

However, there is a cheaper and easier solution to your problem. Simply plug in a USB keyboard, and use the USB keyboard for typing, not the built in laptop keyboard. The Microsoft type USB keyboards cost about $15 to $40. If you have a Mac laptop, you need a Matias brand Quiet Pro keyboard, which costs about $150.

Everyone who owns a laptop should also own a USB keyboard. It is far easier to type on a USB keyboard than an internal laptop keyboard. Another benefit to using a USB keyboard is that it will extend the lifetime of the internal laptop keyboard, since a lot of the wear and tear of the internal laptop keyboard will be shifted to the USB keyboard, which is much easier and cheaper to replace.

For me, typing on a laptop keyboard is a royal pain verses typing on a USB keyboard. Try the USB keyboard solution.
Old 02-15-2021, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
For word processing, spreadsheets, databases, and presentation software, I'd suggest OpenOffice or LibreOffice. OpenOffice is a product of Apache. LibreOffice is an offshoot of OpenOffice, produced by the Document Foundation.

Both are open source, free (though you can donate if you'd like, you don't get anything extra for the donation), and around 99.7% compatible in every way to Microsoft Office suite. I personally feel LibreOffice has more functionality than MS.
LibreOffice, I use it all the time and have not used MS Office in years.
Old 02-15-2021, 07:24 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
Hope this is a simple one compared to some of the questions I see on this forum ! I have a Lenovo laptop that is about half way (?) through its' useful like. Really don't want to have to buy yet, but a couple keys are no longer working and a real frustrating problem. Little can be typed without letter "c", and letters "z" and "x" don't work. It the cost of taking this to a place like best buy to get these 3 letters working, higher than buying a new laptop ? I am not a gamer, and no longer use for business applications, so can get buy with a $400 or so laptop for social media, email, and looking up things on the web. What to do ? Presently, using a wireless key board with the laptop, but that's a real pain when I want to pack up the lap top and take with ! Also another question, since I only write an occasional traditional letter or document, is there a less expensive alternative than purchasing word yearly, or, do alternative make it impossible to read and print the documents I already have saved on the laptop that are written in Word ? Thanks all......
I have used OpenOffice by Apache for years it’s FREE for Mac/Windows has Text Document, Spreadsheet, Presentation, Templets and more just like MSOffice
openoffice.org/download/
Old 02-15-2021, 07:30 AM

It is uncertain to know the odds of a successful repair, its cost, and its value without having someone knowledgeable actually look at your computer.

If your computer use is mainly writing documents (Microsoft Word), email, and internet browsing, and if low cost is important, then a Chromebook laptop is a good option assuming you have a solid internet connection when you use your computer. Amazon has Chromebook laptops as low as about $225. This path of very low cost likely leads you doing your document writing online using Google’s free cloud suite of office-type of applications including Google Docs. You can save your documents in the cloud with Google for no cost. With this path, cost and maintenance are very low. Again, you need a good internet connection.

If you need more features and convenience, or if low cost is not very important, you have very many options.
Old 02-15-2021, 07:41 AM
Veteran member

If it were me I would definitely take it to UbreakIFix in Southern Trace and probably for no charge (that's been my experience several times) they will look at it and give you an opinion. A couple of times they have even fixed simple things for us on computers or phones and not charged us.

Measure your wealth not by the things that you have, but by the things you have for which you wouldn't take money.
The world needs dreamers; the world needs 'do'-ers. But most of all, the world needs dreamers who are do-ers.
Old 02-15-2021, 07:44 AM
Veteran member

It sounds like you are a good candidate for a Chromebook. With a Chromebook you never have to worry about getting a virus, your documents and spreadsheets are backed up to the cloud with every keystroke . You Google Docs and Calc, which are compatible with Word and Excel. I've been using one for over 10 years. Then I converted my old laptop to Linux Mint, just in case I need something that the Chromebook won't do.
Old 02-15-2021, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
Most of the people answering your question seem to be confused! You said that your “c”, “x”, and “z” keys on your laptop keyboard do not work. People seem to be thinking that your Word software “Activation” key does not work.

One answer referred you to a link about repairing your keyboard, which is what you need to do.

However, there is a cheaper and easier solution to your problem. Simply plug in a USB keyboard, and use the USB keyboard for typing, not the built in laptop keyboard. The Microsoft type USB keyboards cost about $15 to $40. If you have a Mac laptop, you need a Matias brand Quiet Pro keyboard, which costs about $150.

Everyone who owns a laptop should also own a USB keyboard. It is far easier to type on a USB keyboard than an internal laptop keyboard. Another benefit to using a USB keyboard is that it will extend the lifetime of the internal laptop keyboard, since a lot of the wear and tear of the internal laptop keyboard will be shifted to the USB keyboard, which is much easier and cheaper to replace.

For me, typing on a laptop keyboard is a royal pain verses typing on a USB keyboard. Try the USB keyboard solution.
On your issue about carrying the laptop and wireless keyboard, simply use a backpack that can fit the keyboard and laptop.

If you don’t like that answer, then get your keyboard repaired, or buy a new laptop. Then next time, use the USB or wireless keyboard to extend the life of your repaired laptop keyboard or extend the life of your internal laptop keyboard of your replaced laptop.

If your Windows laptop is about 5 years old, it’s about time to replace the laptop anyway. If it’s a Mac laptop, you don’t need to replace it for about 10 years.

It’s unbelievable that people don’t seem to understand that your problem is a laptop hardware issue, not the Word software issue! However, I missed the part where you said that you were using a wireless keyboard to get around your broken internal laptop keyboard problem.

So, if you don’t want to spend the money to have your laptop keyboard repaired, or replace your laptop, then simply buy a nap sack or gym bag large enough to fit both the laptop and wireless keyboard, and stop complaining!
Old 02-15-2021, 07:56 AM

I agree it may be easiest to buy a new laptop - I just got a new HP over Christmas. As for Word, Google Microsoft office and see what comes up. I got the Office Suite for a one time buy of $49 for the 3rd time. Great way to go!
Old 02-15-2021, 08:07 AM
Default Purchase a remote keyboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
Hope this is a simple one compared to some of the questions I see on this forum ! I have a Lenovo laptop that is about half way (?) through its' useful like. Really don't want to have to buy yet, but a couple keys are no longer working and a real frustrating problem. Little can be typed without letter "c", and letters "z" and "x" don't work. It the cost of taking this to a place like best buy to get these 3 letters working, higher than buying a new laptop ? I am not a gamer, and no longer use for business applications, so can get buy with a $400 or so laptop for social media, email, and looking up things on the web. What to do ? Presently, using a wireless key board with the laptop, but that's a real pain when I want to pack up the lap top and take with ! Also another question, since I only write an occasional traditional letter or document, is there a less expensive alternative than purchasing word yearly, or, do alternative make it impossible to read and print the documents I already have saved on the laptop that are written in Word ? Thanks all......
Easiest way to help is to purchase a remote keyboard, some are wired others are Bluetooth, either way it would pass your current keyboard and use the remote unit. They are inexpensive, just make sure your laptop has a port available to use it.
Old 02-15-2021, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
I think some foiks have success in trying to clean out dust and stuff from their keyboard to get keys working but I can't say I've had much luck with that. And taking it into a computer repair place on an older pc is probably not cost effective.

My situation seems a lot like yours. while I ended up with an inexpensive on-sale 14" HP laptop (about $300), I seriously looked at Chromebooks which don't have much of a hard drive and so a bit less expensive. There are also used/remanufactured computers as an option.

Instead of Word and Excel, consider using Google's Docs and Sheets, and you store your file in a Google G-drive instead of a hard drive. They're free and almost identical in functionality.

You may get some better advice from tech-types, I'm just a run-of-the-mill user, but that's how I worked it out. Good luck, it's all a pain.
I have a computer but spouse has an old Chromebook since all he does are emails and games. I would consider a referb mac. No need to pay for word programs, just a little work to get familiar with Apple os. I'll never go back, even tho I get a little annoyed with their updates. It's still better.
Old 02-15-2021, 08:13 AM

Google has free applications similar to Excel, Word, and PowerPoint. All you need is a Gmail email account. They open Word documents. Maybe consider a Chromebook for about $200.
Old 02-15-2021, 08:25 AM

Regarding your request for suggestions on an alternative to Microsoft Office, try Libre Office. It is essentially a clone of MS Office and it is open software so it is free. As others have suggested, Open Office is also an alternative but at least for me, I found Open Office to be unstable. It would crash and I would lose updates/edits. I've been using Libre Office for years with no issues ; Home | LibreOffice - Free Office Suite - Based on OpenOffice - Compatible with Microsoft

Regarding fixing your broken keyboard, personally, I would just update and replace with a new one but another alternative to replacing is to check Market of Marion. They sell fully loaded refurbished laptops cheap and they will help you transfer from old to replaced laptop.
Old 02-15-2021, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1ceasar View Post
Lastly there were many laptops for between $100 and $200 today brand new you can check them out at Walmart office Depot Staples and Best buy. Or you can buy a one or two year old laptop at walmart.com or eBay. As long as you don't need them for games over the internet or you're doing video editing they should be fine. If I were you I'd look for one that still has Windows seven as many people don't like Windows 10
While that may seem
Like a good idea, the problem
Is that. windows 7 is no longer supported and many newer programs will not run under Windows 7.
Old 02-15-2021, 08:29 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post

Why would anyone add a USB keyboard when they can add a bluetooth or wireless keyboard? Same functionality and no cable.

BTW - The poster mentioned they already have a bluetooth keyboard, but wants to get the keyboard on the laptop repaired, if possible.
Old 02-15-2021, 08:33 AM

I would advise against taking it to Best Buy. I had a cracked screen and took it there to get an estimate. They would have to send it in and have it looked at before giving me an estimate to fix that. Cost for that was over $100 and it would take a couple weeks. I bought a new screen for $50 and replaced it myself. Lots of great videos on YouTube on how to work on laptops. It really does depend on your PC as to how hard it is to work on. Also, my broken one was a backup laptop so if I really broke it, it would not be a big loss.
Closed Thread

Tags
laptop, buy, working, word, longer

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.