Keys not working & how to write, save, print documents without word ?

Closed Thread
Old 02-15-2021, 08:54 AM
Gold member

I use Open Office by Apache Software, a freeware program that's easy to download and use. It has a word program as well as a decent spreadsheet program and a presentation program too (thankfully I'm fully retired and don't need that!) It is compatible with MS Word, so you can use it with docs or spreadsheets previously created on Word.
Old 02-15-2021, 08:56 AM

A Chromebook is exactly what you need
Old 02-15-2021, 09:00 AM
Default ... Already does this ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
Most of the people answering your question seem to be confused! You said that your “c”, “x”, and “z” keys on your laptop keyboard do not work. People seem to be thinking that your Word software “Activation” key does not work.

One answer referred you to a link about repairing your keyboard, which is what you need to do.

However, there is a cheaper and easier solution to your problem. Simply plug in a USB keyboard, and use the USB keyboard for typing, not the built in laptop keyboard. The Microsoft type USB keyboards cost about $15 to $40. If you have a Mac laptop, you need a Matias brand Quiet Pro keyboard, which costs about $150.

Everyone who owns a laptop should also own a USB keyboard. It is far easier to type on a USB keyboard than an internal laptop keyboard. Another benefit to using a USB keyboard is that it will extend the lifetime of the internal laptop keyboard, since a lot of the wear and tear of the internal laptop keyboard will be shifted to the USB keyboard, which is much easier and cheaper to replace.

For me, typing on a laptop keyboard is a royal pain verses typing on a USB keyboard. Try the USB keyboard solution.
You must have missed the part where the OP states he already uses a wireless keyboard. Doesn't need another keyboard method.
His issue is when going mobile he does not want the bulkiness of an external keyboard.
Repairing the existing keyboard is what OP desires.

Last edited by RoadToad; 02-15-2021 at 09:06 AM.
Old 02-15-2021, 10:09 AM
Default Definitely

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
There are several free software programs that will produce MS Word compatible documents. I would suggest downloading WPS Office. It's free.
I use it. It's similar and works fine.
Old 02-15-2021, 10:11 AM
Default Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1ceasar View Post
And if your keys don't seem to be working depending on the type of physical construction if it's not a rubber membrane you can get a can of air cleaner and spray underneath it's possibly dust
Try this first before paying to fix.
Old 02-15-2021, 10:24 AM

Would a folding keyboard work?
Top 10 Best Bluetooth Foldable Keyboards in 2021 Reviews | Guide
Old 02-15-2021, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalina36 View Post
I purchased a new HP laptop 14" screen on Amazon approx $310.00. I purchased Microsoft Office for $99.00 a year. Not happy with the new Office. Excel has changed so much from my older version I don't find it user friendly anymore.
Google docs and sheets are ready to use, compatible with MS Office and free. If you use gmail, you already have it available!
Old 02-15-2021, 12:08 PM
Default Keyboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
Hope this is a simple one compared to some of the questions I see on this forum ! I have a Lenovo laptop that is about half way (?) through its' useful like. Really don't want to have to buy yet, but a couple keys are no longer working and a real frustrating problem. Little can be typed without letter "c", and letters "z" and "x" don't work. It the cost of taking this to a place like best buy to get these 3 letters working, higher than buying a new laptop ? I am not a gamer, and no longer use for business applications, so can get buy with a $400 or so laptop for social media, email, and looking up things on the web. What to do ? Presently, using a wireless key board with the laptop, but that's a real pain when I want to pack up the lap top and take with ! Also another question, since I only write an occasional traditional letter or document, is there a less expensive alternative than purchasing word yearly, or, do alternative make it impossible to read and print the documents I already have saved on the laptop that are written in Word ? Thanks all......
your keyboard sounds like you got some liquid on it, new keyboard should cost between 20 and 50 dollars, about 75 dollars to install, Libre Office is free clone of Microsoft Office and will read and write all Office documents, spreadsheets, etc. Good luck.
Old 02-15-2021, 12:10 PM
Default Sticky Keys

Quote:
Hope this is a simple one compared to some of the questions I see on this forum ! I have a Lenovo laptop that is about half way (?) through its' useful like. Really don't want to have to buy yet, but a couple keys are no longer working and a real frustrating problem. Little can be typed without letter "c", and letters "z" and "x" don't work. It the cost of taking this to a place like best buy to get these 3 letters working, higher than buying a new laptop ? I am not a gamer, and no longer use for business applications, so can get buy with a $400 or so laptop for social media, email, and looking up things on the web. What to do ? Presently, using a wireless key board with the laptop, but that's a real pain when I want to pack up the lap top and take with ! Also another question, since I only write an occasional traditional letter or document, is there a less expensive alternative than purchasing word yearly, or, do alternative make it impossible to read and print the documents I already have saved on the laptop that are written in Word ? Thanks all......
I suggest MMD Computer in Lady Lake- just south of CR 466 on US 441. Much better, IMO, than big box retailers. A new keyboard will probably run about $200.

They can also offer some viable options if you decide to replace your existing machine. In my experience MMD knows their stuff and is not out to take advantage of those of us who are not tech savvy.
Old 02-15-2021, 12:27 PM
Default Lenovo

Open Office is available at Ninite.com.
Lenovo makes bad products. My m720 lasted a few weeks. It was replaced last month by a m900 which also crashed --for the same reason, bad SSDs.
Old 02-17-2021, 05:29 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Just get a real computer keyboard and plug it in via USB.
Old 02-17-2021, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadToad View Post
You must have missed the part where the OP states he already uses a wireless keyboard. Doesn't need another keyboard method.
His issue is when going mobile he does not want the bulkiness of an external keyboard.
Repairing the existing keyboard is what OP desires.
Yes, I missed that part where the OP said that they had a wireless keyboard, when I first read the post. Since the OP solved the problem with the internal laptop keyboard, then the only decision is to live with the internal keyboard not working, and simply get a backpack or gym bag that will fit both the laptop and the external keyboard. Or, get the keyboard fixed on a laptop that is already at "end of life". Or, replaced the laptop with a new laptop.

The OP didn't mention if the laptop is a Windows laptop or a Mac laptop. If it's a Windows laptop, then now could be the opportunity to switch to a Mac laptop, and be free of all the headaches and security risks that are associated with the Windows laptops. It costs a lot more for the Mac laptop, but the Mac laptop is much better. It's like driving a Lexus or a Yugo. If the OP can afford it, I recommend the Mac laptop, which will be good for about 10 years, before it has to be replaced. Another thing to consider is your quality of life. If you can afford the better Mac laptop, why not buy it, instead of saving the extra money for the nursing home to gobble up, or the grandkids to waste on things like sports cars, that will get them into trouble.
Old 02-18-2021, 07:52 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,754 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
I think some foiks have success in trying to clean out dust and stuff from their keyboard to get keys working but I can't say I've had much luck with that. And taking it into a computer repair place on an older pc is probably not cost effective.

My situation seems a lot like yours. while I ended up with an inexpensive on-sale 14" HP laptop (about $300), I seriously looked at Chromebooks which don't have much of a hard drive and so a bit less expensive. There are also used/remanufactured computers as an option.

Instead of Word and Excel, consider using Google's Docs and Sheets, and you store your file in a Google G-drive instead of a hard drive. They're free and almost identical in functionality.

You may get some better advice from tech-types, I'm just a run-of-the-mill user, but that's how I worked it out. Good luck, it's all a pain.
Thank you so much, yes, sounds similar to my situation. Not familiar with Google G drive so definitely will begin a little research on that tonight ! Again, thanks..... Know Chicago well, originally from Peoria !~ Kids live in Marina Towers now....
Closed Thread

Tags
laptop, buy, working, word, longer

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.