Looking at buying a New IPhone

Closed Thread
Old 07-02-2018, 11:20 AM
Sage
Default Looking at buying a New IPhone

I'm in the market for a new phone. I will be changing over from AT&T to Verizon for reception reasons.

I currently have an 6 plus and a hubby has a 5.

What would you recommend I get for a new phone. I use my phone a lot as I have over 6000 photos on ICloud backup and use Instagram extensively as well as other social media.

I was thinking of another Iphone 6 plus with the maximum memory to cuts costs but am open to suggestions. Hubby needs an upgrade but not a larger phone. Only interested in Iphones no Androids.
Old 07-02-2018, 11:22 AM
Sage

Verizon may still have their 2 for 1 deal on iPhone 8 and iPhone X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
I'm in the market for a new phone. I will be changing over from AT&T to Verizon for reception reasons.

I currently have an 6 plus and a hubby has a 5.

What would you recommend I get for a new phone. I use my phone a lot as I have over 6000 photos on ICloud backup and use Instagram extensively as well as other social media.

I was thinking of another Iphone 6 plus with the maximum memory to cuts costs but am open to suggestions. Hubby needs an upgrade but not a larger phone. Only interested in Iphones no Androids.
Old 07-02-2018, 12:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

I did the two for one on the IPhone 8 Plus on either Mother’s or Fathers Day? So far so great. You have a big head start already owning an IPhone. Even though it is painful I would never go back to Android.

We had to get a Newtwork Extender which is a snap to install because the 8 Plus’s wouldn’t work in the house.

The X which is the one I was going to buy was to flimsy for me. Good luck. Very nice helpful people at the 441 store.
Old 07-02-2018, 01:20 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

Hubby should get an SE it’s the same size as the 5
Old 07-02-2018, 07:03 PM
Location: New Hampshire, now Heathrow on Lake Deaton Preserve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
I did the two for one on the IPhone 8 Plus on either Mother’s or Fathers Day? So far so great. You have a big head start already owning an IPhone. Even though it is painful I would never go back to Android.

We had to get a Newtwork Extender which is a snap to install because the 8 Plus’s wouldn’t work in the house.

The X which is the one I was going to buy was to flimsy for me. Good luck. Very nice helpful people at the 441 store.
In what way was it "flimsy?" You found the 8+ not flimsy? What is the difference?
Old 07-02-2018, 07:41 PM
Platinum member

I have an 8+. Traded in my 6+ at Apple and received $125. I don't know what other phones have the portrait setting for photos, but the 8+ does and my niece thought it was important.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:59 PM

I have an iPhone 8 with 256G memory - works excellent, lots of storage capability, really fast and reliable. I would, however, be prepared if you go up to an 8 - no headphone jack, so you either have to have an adapter (that plugs into the charging port) or wireless headphones. I imagine, in the next few years, they will all go that route.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikearoni View Post
In what way was it "flimsy?" You found the 8+ not flimsy? What is the difference?
I think I would be waffeling screens because it felt dainty to me. Probably a great phone but not a good fit because I seem to drop my phones a lot.

I bought a OTTER BOX for the 8+ and believe the case was so thick that it may have interfered with the internal antenna and cased part of the reception problem in our house. The Network Extender is given for free during the first 14 trial days by Verizon because that’s when you really are in the drivers seat. They will do anything to not get a phone returned. Once I got the Extender set then I switched to Apple Tech Support to tidey up some small issues. The Apple support is Absolutely Awesome compared to any other company. Good Luck.

Last edited by Nucky; 07-02-2018 at 10:33 PM.
Old 07-03-2018, 01:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 865 Posts

Watch for the next model to be announced in September.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 07-03-2018, 01:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

IMHO, Apple has (to their credit) established a cult that far surpasses...any supposed technological superiority.

Particularly for the price premium.

Maybe second only to Tesla investors.

Having been talked into an iPhone 6 (Plus) a few years ago, at an outrageous price...I've since went back to Android.

It does everything (and more)...than I'll never need.

I'm with this guy.

Apple Cult

Quote:
It takes, though, an intellectual to put a deeper stamp of authority on Apple's cult status. Hosannas, therefore, to Atlas Obscura, which probed the views of NYU professor Erica Robles-Anderson.

Robles-Anderson is a cultural historian who, when examining a Manhattan Apple store, declared, "It's a cult. Right? It's so obviously a cult."
Old 10-12-2018, 08:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

The iphone 8 is the best deal.

I just got the iphone X a couple of weeks ago....hand me down from kids who need the latest....

I went from the 6 to the 8. Much much faster and than the 6.

I would not spend the difference in money they are asking for an iphone X when the 8is as good as it is.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:00 AM
Sage

If the camera matters to you, the iPhone 8+ camera is super. Better than I thought possible in a phone camera.i just returned from Yellowstone and rarely took my Nikon out of its bag.
Old 10-12-2018, 06:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 865 Posts

Wife and I just upgraded from 5s to Xse (Verizon). Faster processor, far superior camera (if that's important to you), second antenna which has improved communications. It's all about what's important to you....most of our generation don't come close to using the capabilities of the phones which is why going backward in technology for price is attractive.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Closed Thread

Tags
phone, hubby, iphone, social, maximum

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.