Looking at buying a New IPhone

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 07-02-2018, 11:20 AM
Sage

Default Looking at buying a New IPhone

I'm in the market for a new phone. I will be changing over from AT&T to Verizon for reception reasons.

I currently have an 6 plus and a hubby has a 5.

What would you recommend I get for a new phone. I use my phone a lot as I have over 6000 photos on ICloud backup and use Instagram extensively as well as other social media.

I was thinking of another Iphone 6 plus with the maximum memory to cuts costs but am open to suggestions. Hubby needs an upgrade but not a larger phone. Only interested in Iphones no Androids.

Old 07-02-2018, 11:22 AM
Platinum member

Verizon may still have their 2 for 1 deal on iPhone 8 and iPhone X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
I'm in the market for a new phone. I will be changing over from AT&T to Verizon for reception reasons.

I currently have an 6 plus and a hubby has a 5.

What would you recommend I get for a new phone. I use my phone a lot as I have over 6000 photos on ICloud backup and use Instagram extensively as well as other social media.

I was thinking of another Iphone 6 plus with the maximum memory to cuts costs but am open to suggestions. Hubby needs an upgrade but not a larger phone. Only interested in Iphones no Androids.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2018, 12:08 PM
Sage

I did the two for one on the IPhone 8 Plus on either Mother’s or Fathers Day? So far so great. You have a big head start already owning an IPhone. Even though it is painful I would never go back to Android.

We had to get a Newtwork Extender which is a snap to install because the 8 Plus’s wouldn’t work in the house.

The X which is the one I was going to buy was to flimsy for me. Good luck. Very nice helpful people at the 441 store.
Old 07-02-2018, 01:20 PM
Veteran member

Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

Hubby should get an SE it’s the same size as the 5
Old 07-02-2018, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
I did the two for one on the IPhone 8 Plus on either Mother’s or Fathers Day? So far so great. You have a big head start already owning an IPhone. Even though it is painful I would never go back to Android.

We had to get a Newtwork Extender which is a snap to install because the 8 Plus’s wouldn’t work in the house.

The X which is the one I was going to buy was to flimsy for me. Good luck. Very nice helpful people at the 441 store.
In what way was it "flimsy?" You found the 8+ not flimsy? What is the difference?
Old 07-02-2018, 07:41 PM
Gold member

I have an 8+. Traded in my 6+ at Apple and received $125. I don't know what other phones have the portrait setting for photos, but the 8+ does and my niece thought it was important.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:59 PM

I have an iPhone 8 with 256G memory - works excellent, lots of storage capability, really fast and reliable. I would, however, be prepared if you go up to an 8 - no headphone jack, so you either have to have an adapter (that plugs into the charging port) or wireless headphones. I imagine, in the next few years, they will all go that route.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikearoni View Post
In what way was it "flimsy?" You found the 8+ not flimsy? What is the difference?
I think I would be waffeling screens because it felt dainty to me. Probably a great phone but not a good fit because I seem to drop my phones a lot.

I bought a OTTER BOX for the 8+ and believe the case was so thick that it may have interfered with the internal antenna and cased part of the reception problem in our house. The Network Extender is given for free during the first 14 trial days by Verizon because that’s when you really are in the drivers seat. They will do anything to not get a phone returned. Once I got the Extender set then I switched to Apple Tech Support to tidey up some small issues. The Apple support is Absolutely Awesome compared to any other company. Good Luck.

Last edited by Nucky; 07-02-2018 at 10:33 PM.
Old 07-03-2018, 01:07 PM
Sage

Watch for the next model to be announced in September.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 07-03-2018, 01:43 PM
Sage

IMHO, Apple has (to their credit) established a cult that far surpasses...any supposed technological superiority.

Particularly for the price premium.

Maybe second only to Tesla investors.

Having been talked into an iPhone 6 (Plus) a few years ago, at an outrageous price...I've since went back to Android.

It does everything (and more)...than I'll never need.

I'm with this guy.

Apple Cult

Quote:
It takes, though, an intellectual to put a deeper stamp of authority on Apple's cult status. Hosannas, therefore, to Atlas Obscura, which probed the views of NYU professor Erica Robles-Anderson.

Robles-Anderson is a cultural historian who, when examining a Manhattan Apple store, declared, "It's a cult. Right? It's so obviously a cult."

Tags
phone, hubby, iphone, social, maximum