Looking to replace phone jacks with ethernet connections

Closed Thread
Old 01-18-2018, 12:46 PM
Default Looking to replace phone jacks with ethernet connections

Hi there, can you recommend a service to help change out the phone jacks with ethernet jacks in a few outlets in my home?

thanks!

Bob Blong
Old 01-18-2018, 01:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,671 Times in 5,225 Posts

I don't think you can just replace the jacks without rewiring the house with ethernet cable. But, why would you want to do it anyway? Do you not have a wifi internet service through a modem?
Old 01-18-2018, 01:24 PM

If you're in the Village of Dunedin, your house is probably already wired with ethernet jacks.

Look in the white Leviton box in your garage where the irrigation controller is. If you see a few blue colored "Cat5" cables wired in there already, then the jacks throughout your house are likely already ethernet. They're just waiting to be connected to something.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:30 PM
Sage

If his house is like mine (built in 2014), he probably has a combination of both RJ-11 and RJ-45 jacks in the rooms, all connected back to the low-voltage panel with cat5e cable. I would guess that an electrician could swap out the RJ-11s for RJ-45s and make sure all 8 (or 4) wires are connected. I am curious as to what the OP is trying to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoSteveO View Post
If you're in the Village of Dunedin, your house is probably already wired with ethernet jacks.

Look in the white Leviton box in your garage where the irrigation controller is. If you see a few blue colored "Cat5" cables wired in there already, then the jacks throughout your house are likely already ethernet. They're just waiting to be connected to something.

Last edited by biker1; 01-18-2018 at 03:50 PM.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,911 Times in 2,445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
If his house is like mine (built in 2014), he probably has a combination of both RJ-11 and RJ-45 jacks in the rooms, all connected back to the low-voltage panel with cat5e cable. I would guess that an electrician could swap out the RJ-11s for RJ-45s and make sure all 8 (or 4) wires are connected. I am curious as to what the OP is trying to do.
he's probably wanting to relocate his computer in room that's not wired for Ethernet. which I would like to do But afraid my house it too old which only has land line tele and coaxial (built in 2013)?
Old 01-29-2018, 07:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,671 Times in 5,225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
he's probably wanting to relocate his computer in room that's not wired for Ethernet. which I would like to do But afraid my house it too old which only has land line tele and coaxial (built in 2013)?
I'm not sure I understand. If you have a coaxial outlet, you plug it into a modem and then you connect an ethernet cable from the modem to the computer. The modem sends a wifi signal throughout the house to whatever other devices you want to receive the internet. What am I missing?
Old 01-29-2018, 09:01 PM
Sage

The "land line tele" is probably cat5 or cat5e cable and can be used for an ethernet connection with the correct jacks and wires connected. They are, however, all probably home runs back to your low voltage panel. You could put a switch in your low voltage panel if you are trying to have ethernet connections in several rooms. Depends on what you are trying to do. The OP never explained what his requirements were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Old 01-30-2018, 10:01 AM

WiFi at times slows down causing stoppage on my Smart TV’s when playing 4k etc. I actually would like to send out an ethernet data transmission from my router/modem to other room outlets to avoid signal losses and busy WiFi due to multiple devices.

Bob Blong
Old 02-01-2018, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensacolaBob View Post
WiFi at times slows down causing stoppage on my Smart TV’s when playing 4k etc. I actually would like to send out an ethernet data transmission from my router/modem to other room outlets to avoid signal losses and busy WiFi due to multiple devices.
Perhaps look into one of the new "mesh" wifi solutions. I've had good luck with eero. Google also has a solution.
--
Bob C
Old 02-02-2018, 06:55 AM

Do a internet speed test on your TV. 4k is a lot of data to stream. Could be that the cpu in the TV can't handle the data. Try putting the router next to the TV and hard wire the TV before changing the outlets.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:37 AM

I’ll give that a go 1st. Thanks

Bob Blong
Old 02-02-2018, 07:38 AM

I will investigate the new mesh networks. I had tried repeaters in the past, but they lost even more speed. Thanks

Bob Blong
Old 02-02-2018, 09:24 AM

Quote:
I will investigate the new mesh networks. I had tried repeaters in the past, but they lost even more speed. Thanks
Yep, a repeater halves the speed since it has to use half the bandwidth for sending the signal onwards. Thats what mesh was designed to fix. The eero kit I got has a base station that replaced my router and 2 so-called "beacons", which plug directly into a spare electrical outlet around your home. Compared to a traditional router, it is expensive ($399 for the pack, although you can find discounts), but probably cheaper than running ethernet wires through the walls. If you go this way, get it from someplace you can return it easily if it doesn't work out (e.g. Best Buy, or perhaps Amazon).

The similar "Google Wifi" product is cheaper. $129 per unit. They claim that 2 units should suffice for a 1500-3000 square foot home and 3 for a 3000-4500 square foot home.

Most of the traditional router manufacturers (Linksys, Netgear, etc.) are starting to get into the mesh game as well.
--
Bob C
Old 02-02-2018, 09:32 AM

Is you WiFi secured? Maybe your WiFi is busy because other people are getting free internet from you. When you connect to your modem with a laptop via WiFi, it should be labelled as 'Secure', otherwise anyone can connect. If it is not secure, get your ISP to fix it. Be aware that after it is made secure, you will have to re-connect all of your devices using a key or pass phrase. Hope this helps to reduce the possibilities for 'busy'.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:57 AM
Sage

A 4K stream will require something like 20 megabits/sec.

Quote:
Closed Thread

Tags
jacks, ethernet, phone, home, change

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.