Looking for Router Recommendation

Closed Thread
Old 08-01-2021, 04:09 PM
Default Router Recommendation

We resisted going to Xfinity as long as we could but OTA doesn't work in our location and we were only interested in local channels. Decided to minimize cost for bandwidth and equipment that would still enable us to watch and record live tv using a pre-owned Tivo Bolt and also support streaming via Roku. Signed up with Xfinity for their minimum Internet and TV Bundle ignoring all of the advice that we needed megabytes of bandwidth. We purchased a relatively inexpensive Arris SBG10 modem/wi fi router that is rated up to 300 mbs and Xfinity is supplying 50 mbs (per on line speed check). We are using 4 computers, 2 Rokus, Amazon Echo, 2 Amazon Fire tablets, 2 Ipads, 2 smartphones, Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu, Disney+ and when grandkids are here multiple video game devices. This has been our configuration for over a year and a half with no problem (knock on wood).
Old 08-03-2021, 07:12 AM
Veteran member

Nothing wrong with netgear or linksys routers, the router that I didn't like as much was an ASUS, I did corporate networks over 30 years ago.
Wired networks are the best, and creating a network using multiple routers all connected with cat 5 or better is the best setup.
If you are buying a router today, I would go with 1 that has at least 802.11AC at a minimum and preferably 802.11AX and wifi 6. Have somebody terminate or pull cables from where your ISP router/modem is to areas in your house that lacks coverage or needs a network switch for equipment that needs network access and doesn't have wifi, and place a router in these locations, then setup a bridge network.
Or just buy 1 of the better mesh network packages with 2 or 3 devices.
Closed Thread

Tags
router, install, don’t, easy, tablets

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.