Lost files

Closed Thread
Old 05-30-2018, 10:32 AM
Default Lost files

I had Microsoft assist with some Microsoft issues about 2 months ago. I recently noticed some of my files are missing: primarily pix and music files. I just contacted Microsoft and they were unable to help. Is there anyone with who can help me locate the files or give me suggestions as to what I can do?
Old 05-30-2018, 10:36 AM

First thing I would do is a search to see if they were just moved, or the folder was renamed.
Depending on your OS, click on the Magnifying glass and search for .jpg and .mp3
Old 05-30-2018, 10:55 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucksCpl215 View Post
First thing I would do is a search to see if they were just moved, or the folder was renamed.
Depending on your OS, click on the Magnifying glass and search for .jpg and .mp3
Yep. that the easiest. Probably a shortcut to their location was removed. Just make sure you are in File Manager in your username.

HIGHLY unlikely that Microsoft fooled around with your personal files. (Previous MS elevated support contractor / help desk)
Old 05-30-2018, 12:16 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I think some free software for pictures will ask you if you want it to search your computer and gather all the pictures. Might try looking for software that will do this. Music could be the same. Try iTunes and see if it will gather all your music. I have not done this so just a guess.
Old 05-30-2018, 02:59 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
I think some free software for pictures will ask you if you want it to search your computer and gather all the pictures. Might try looking for software that will do this. Music could be the same. Try iTunes and see if it will gather all your music. I have not done this so just a guess.
NEVER EVER install free software without knowing exactly what you are doing.
Old 05-30-2018, 04:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

If you can't fix it yourself, I highly recommend these folks.

Fast, knowledgeable, reasonably priced and friendly.

Computer Corner | Leesburg, FL | Computer Repair | Computer Sales | IT
Old 05-30-2018, 05:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,599 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSkol View Post
NEVER EVER install free software without knowing exactly what you are doing.
You don't need any software to search for files on your computer. Go to the file explorer and do a search, such as *.jpg, which will find all jpg files.
Old 05-31-2018, 05:14 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I can't add anything to the above re finding the "lost" files but...

...please, EVERYONE, make back-ups of your important files. TODAY!

Large capacity USB "dongles" are so cheap that you no longer need to burn the files onto a CD or DVD, which some people found confusing.
Old 05-31-2018, 06:15 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paqdkq View Post
I had Microsoft assist with some Microsoft issues about 2 months ago. I recently noticed some of my files are missing: primarily pix and music files. I just contacted Microsoft and they were unable to help. Is there anyone with who can help me locate the files or give me suggestions as to what I can do?
Hopefully, you did not respond to a telephone call claiming to be from Microsoft Support. Those people are not Microsoft, Windows, etc., but are just trying to gain access to your computer.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 05-31-2018, 06:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
What version of windows?
Old 05-31-2018, 07:11 AM
Veteran member

Gee, ALL my pictures and music is automatically backed up to the cloud, I've never lost anything since using a Chromebook! In fact I got a new chromebook and all I had to do was just sign in, everything was still there.
Old 06-04-2018, 01:07 PM

I tried that using the file names of those I knew were missing. Would it be possible for me to back-up my PC then reset to an earlier date. Hopefully I'd fine those missing files and save them to a thumb drive. Then use my back-up to return to the current configuration then copy the pics to my PC?
Old 06-04-2018, 02:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

Quote:
I tried that using the file names of those I knew were missing. Would it be possible for me to back-up my PC then reset to an earlier date. Hopefully I'd fine those missing files and save them to a thumb drive. Then use my back-up to return to the current configuration then copy the pics to my PC?
The restore function ONLY works on SYSTEM files, so IMHO, no, doing a restore will not get the files back. If you had setup the windows backup, then you would have a chance of restoring the files.
If you type in "finding lost files windows 10" in Google, there are several options that come up, hopefully one of these will help.

Tags
files, microsoft, assist, unable, locate

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.