Magic Jack Hookup

Closed Thread
Old 07-09-2020, 10:45 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,084 Times in 367 Posts
Default Magic Jack Hookup

I have just canceled my Century Link Phone and ported my number to Magic Jack. I have also changed my internet to Comcast from Century Link.

I purchased a Comcast compatible Modem/Router nd installed it in my living room without thinking about Magic Jack. When Century Link ported my landline telephone number, I then installed MagicJack. My central phone control unit was installed on kitchen counter, and I followed instructions to install this unit next to Magic Jack . This meant that I had to move it to the Living room. Took a satellite phone into kitchen. Every thing works but we are so used to the central control unit greeting us with blinking light if any messages in the kitchen. Yes, I could move the Modem/Router to the kitchen and connect Magic Jack there but then have wire clutter on counter.

Everything is wireless except for the master phone base. Seems that the Magic Jack connection forces the phone base to be next to Modem Router.

I am sure there must be a simple solution but my brain is not seeing it. Any help appreciated.
Old 07-10-2020, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
I have just canceled my Century Link Phone and ported my number to Magic Jack. I have also changed my internet to Comcast from Century Link.

I purchased a Comcast compatible Modem/Router nd installed it in my living room without thinking about Magic Jack. When Century Link ported my landline telephone number, I then installed MagicJack. My central phone control unit was installed on kitchen counter, and I followed instructions to install this unit next to Magic Jack . This meant that I had to move it to the Living room. Took a satellite phone into kitchen. Every thing works but we are so used to the central control unit greeting us with blinking light if any messages in the kitchen. Yes, I could move the Modem/Router to the kitchen and connect Magic Jack there but then have wire clutter on counter.

Everything is wireless except for the master phone base. Seems that the Magic Jack connection forces the phone base to be next to Modem Router.

I am sure there must be a simple solution but my brain is not seeing it. Any help appreciated.
I have a set up similar to you and it works well.

I have my own cable modem and a separate wifi router in the guest bedroom. The magic jack is located there and the ether-net end of it is connected to the router and the phone cord end is plugged into the telephone wall jack in the bedroom. In the kitchen we have the wireless phone/answer machine base station plugged into the phone outlet. The phone signal should back feed through out the house and the base station could be in any room with a phone outlet.

I use this setup up north with Spectrum and in TV with Comcast.
Old 08-07-2020, 09:28 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphy View Post
I have a set up similar to you and it works well.

I have my own cable modem and a separate wifi router in the guest bedroom. The magic jack is located there and the ether-net end of it is connected to the router and the phone cord end is plugged into the telephone wall jack in the bedroom. In the kitchen we have the wireless phone/answer machine base station plugged into the phone outlet. The phone signal should back feed through out the house and the base station could be in any room with a phone outlet.

I use this setup up north with Spectrum and in TV with Comcast.
Finally got my Magic Jack working. Had problem with land lines not getting through. Thanks for the above reply. Concern that Magic Jack instructions advise against using house phone line due to an active current even if service no longer provided.
Old 08-07-2020, 11:00 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts
Default Phone wiring

You should disconnect phone wiring into home at telephone connection outside of home insulate the two wires.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
Finally got my Magic Jack working. Had problem with land lines not getting through. Thanks for the above reply. Concern that Magic Jack instructions advise against using house phone line due to an active current even if service no longer provided.
Old 08-11-2020, 03:06 PM
Gold member

Thanks to SMurphy and Dana 123 for their advice regarding Magic Jack setup. Up and running using house wiring.
Closed Thread

Tags
magic, jack, phone, kitchen, unit

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.