McAfee or Norton?

Closed Thread
Old 10-13-2021, 06:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,512 Times in 3,105 Posts

I let Windows Defender do most of the work, PC Magazine and TechRadar both consider it a solid, well-built security system. Not the best, but better than several of the ones you have to pay for.

I run malwarebytes once in awhile, and ccleaner as well but I don't keep either of them running all the time.

I used to use Kaspersky, but their nag screens were annoying when my subscription was near the expiration date and then Windows Defender actually improved for the first time in 15 years.
Old 10-13-2021, 06:47 PM
Veteran member
Default Best Answer?

I would say neither. Use the Microsoft built in Defender. Currently, I think better than any add-on program. Use that with Malwarebytes free , (that you must run occasionally manually) will adequately protect your PC's OS. Don't forget to also protect your browser with extensions, like an Ad-Blocker, and Ghostery (a privacy filter.)

Linux and chromebooks don't need OS protection but an Ad-Blocker and Ghostery are recommenced for your browser. I also find the the CyberGhost browser extension useful.

(45 years PC repair experience, still using an EeePC 900a netbook from 2008 with Linux Mint)
Closed Thread

Tags
mcafee, laptop, norton, offering, good

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.