Migrating to Windows 10

Closed Thread
Old 12-22-2019, 04:40 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Migrating to Windows 10

Previous posts have addressed this, but I thought I'd start a new thread to relate my own experience.

I have been an ardent fan of XP but had made the move to Vista without too much trouble. On one computer I was even running 7 but when I did the free upgrade to 10 I couldn't find anything so rolled back to 7. Now that support for 7 is being dropped by Microsoft it means it won't be long before third party programs such as browsers will cease to do so too, as they have done for Vista, so it seems a good time to bite the bullet and try to become comfortable with Windows 10.

Installing the new operating system is straightforward (if you think you've paid Microsoft enough over the years you can find it on eBay, along with licence numbers). Download the free program OpenShell and you can get back the look and feel of 7 or Vista.

I ditched the inadequate mail program - Mail - that comes with 10 and downloaded Windows Mail Live. This is very similar to Windows Mail that I was using, and makes the importing of your old e-mails a breeze.

I also decided it was time to move from an old version of Office so I downloaded the free program OpenOffice which is very similar to Excel and Word, with no problems opening their files (although if you've done some really clever stuff in your spreadsheet...)

So it took all weekend but I now have everything up and running and looking much like the Vista and 7 I am used to.
Old 12-22-2019, 05:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,609 Times in 5,195 Posts

I recently purchased a new HP I7 9700 Windows 10 computer from Amazon for 900 dollars and I just set it up today. I used this Youtube video as a basic guide.

Windows 10 (Beginners Guide) - YouTube

Within an hour or so, I was back in business doing everything on it that I did on my old Windows 7 computer. The desktop looks just like Windows 7, and the video says to ignore the Windows 10 "tiles". This is probably the best advice you can get from the video. Also, the Windows Edge browser didn't seem to work as well as Internet Explorer, so I have been using Internet Explorer instead, which was already installed on Windows 10. I may switch to Edge later. So, for me, switching from Windows 7 to Windows 10 was no big deal, and will probably result in a better system in the long run.

Also, I installed my Turbotax disc on my old Windows 7 computer before disconnecting it, so I would have a backup. If you use Turbotax, you can buy the 2019 disc, and install it on a Windows 7 computer, and then install it again on a Windows 10 computer. Turbotax allows you to install the software on up to 5 computers. The reason I switched to Windows 10 is because I didn't want my financial information to be on an unsupported and unsecured computer.
Old 12-22-2019, 05:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,883 Times in 2,429 Posts
Talking

Well, you better get with the program!!! LOL 😝 10 is pain till you get us to to it. I hate that you can’t easily excess settings on desktop system and seems like they always change how hotmail looks. Even if you get 10 it changes about ever year or so. At least getting better with Microsoft antivirus protection. Older systems are harder to protect.

Which brings up another vulnerable if you’re desktop computer 💻 if over 4 years old. Older systems are easier to hack. Like car batteries I get new one every 4 or 5 years. Apple 🍎/MAC systems have little problems or maintenance, most done automatically through upgrades.

If you get caught by fishing by clicking on site or by alert pops up ( hackers hiding behind fake notices by amazon or bank ect... saying you got hacked and call this number.) ( don’t). google that number and 9999 out of 1000 it’s says it’s scam) on apple system the first thing they are going to do is steer you to desktop computer where they can trick you into taking control of you’re computer. They will plant Trojan that will trigger when you enter you passwords, bank accounts, Amazon account, eBay, and anything they can steal money from. Most online programs don’t detect them and only computer service may be able to scan the computer and find it but, not always.

Just think I sure there window’s 11 coming soon?????
Old 12-22-2019, 05:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,883 Times in 2,429 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I recently purchased a new HP I7 9700 Windows 10 computer from Amazon for 900 dollars and I just set it up today. I used this Youtube video as a basic guide.

Windows 10 (Beginners Guide) - YouTube

Within an hour or so, I was back in business doing everything on it that I did on my old Windows 7 computer. The desktop looks just like Windows 7, and the video says to ignore the Windows 10 "tiles". This is probably the best advice you can get from the video. Also, the Windows Edge browser didn't seem to work as well as Internet Explorer, so I have been using Internet Explorer instead, which was already installed on Windows 10. I may switch to Edge later. So, for me, switching from Windows 7 to Windows 10 was no big deal, and will probably result in a better system in the long run.

Also, I installed my Turbotax disc on my old Windows 7 computer before disconnecting it, so I would have a backup. If you use Turbotax, you can buy the 2019 disc, and install it on a Windows 7 computer, and then install it again on a Windows 10 computer. Turbotax allows you to install the software on up to 5 computers. The reason I switched to Windows 10 is because I didn't want my financial information to be on an unsupported and unsecured computer.
I used iPad most time, but I just brought HP all-in-one which eliminates the tower. Only has keyboard, mouse, and monitor with hard drive and dvd port in it. Really like it.
Old 12-22-2019, 07:45 PM
Gold member

After using 7 on a 10 yr old laptop it was time to upgrade.
Loaded my saved profiles from Thunderbird and Firefox, transferred data... good to go.
Didn't bother with "classic shell". 10 is very much like 7 as is.
The biggest improvement for me was the new quick SSD drive and double the ram I had.
Old 12-23-2019, 07:02 AM
Soaring Eagle member

All good advice, thank you

Seems like we'll be comfortable with 10 just in time for 11
Closed Thread

Tags
mail, vista, windows, program, free

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.