Move files from one laptop to another?

Closed Thread
Old 04-23-2021, 11:34 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I doubt that many people have two extra ethernet cables, or are even familiar with how to share a folder with a network. But, most people know how to copy files to a thumb drive. No cables needed, and so what if it takes a while for the files to copy. If you already have a cloud drive and are familiar with using it, that may be another option.
The OP asked for an alternative to using a thumb drive. Some of us answered his question. NO need to debate.
Old 04-23-2021, 11:36 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts
Default Transfer files windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdeb View Post
Any suggestions regarding moving a large number of files from an older laptop to newer?

I've considered using a thumb drive but is there a better method?

Is it possible to maintain directories?

Not Apple if that matters.

Thanks much in advance.
Found this on GOOGLE How to Transfer Your Files to Windows 10 - dummies
CONFIDENCE
Old 04-23-2021, 11:43 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsamms View Post
I purchased “PC Mover” by Lap Link when I bought my new laptop but have not used it because I set up “One Drive” to go from one computer the other. That worked for my needs.

Boxed product is opened. Cost $39.99 from Amazon but will sell if you could use it for $20. It is sealed in box. See link for product information.

https://www.amazon.com/Laplink-PCmover-Ultimate-10-Use/dp/B008MR37XK[/IMG]
This.

kathy
Old 04-23-2021, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsamms View Post
I purchased “PC Mover” by Lap Link when I bought my new laptop but have not used it because I set up “One Drive” to go from one computer the other. That worked for my needs.

Boxed product is opened. Cost $39.99 from Amazon but will sell if you could use it for $20. It is sealed in box. See link for product information.

https://www.amazon.com/Laplink-PCmover-Ultimate-10-Use/dp/B008MR37XK[/IMG]
Meant to state that the PC Mover box is UNOPENED! Still sealed in original box. Not used!
Old 04-23-2021, 04:17 PM

I'm beyond impressed with the suggestions. I'm leaning towards using a thumb drive as I have one already and the technology is low level.

Interesting that I worked in high tech for 36 years and hold a patent for Linux testing. Managed software engineering groups worldwide but I'm severely limited with pc technology. Had a pc issue, called IT support... augh...

Yes, started as a software engineer before going over to the 'dark side'. i.e. management.
Old 04-23-2021, 07:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

Save everything to the Cloud, then you can use the files on any device that has internet access. You can download any of those files as needed and save them directly to your hard drive or a thumb drive when you want to, but they'll be there in the Cloud if you just need to "use" them and "put them back."
Old 04-23-2021, 07:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,901 Times in 914 Posts
Default We use drop box and one drive from microsoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Save everything to the Cloud, then you can use the files on any device that has internet access. You can download any of those files as needed and save them directly to your hard drive or a thumb drive when you want to, but they'll be there in the Cloud if you just need to "use" them and "put them back."
Agree, just use a long and different password

tech guy
Old 04-24-2021, 04:45 AM
Default Icloud storage

Use cloud storage to get it wherever you are
Old 04-24-2021, 05:20 AM

You could create a free Dropbox account. You can drag or save files to it and access them from any machine. I use it often to transport files between my work and home pc's.
Old 04-24-2021, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdeb View Post
Any suggestions regarding moving a large number of files from an older laptop to newer?

I've considered using a thumb drive but is there a better method?

Is it possible to maintain directories?

Not Apple if that matters.

Thanks much in advance.
The size of your files may be more important than the number of files. If you have files of a total size larger than your thumb drive capacity, you would need to use the thumb drive several times (i.e., move some of the files to the new computer, delete those files from the thumb, repeat). If you already have a cloud storage account such as OneDrive or Google Drive, that would be somewhat simpler and perhaps more reliable depending on the total size of your files. But if you don't already have a cloud account, I suggest sticking with the thumb drive for simplicity in using what you already have.

Also, if you already have an online backup service such as Carbonite, you might be able to restore files backed up online to your new computer.

And, yes, I believe you will be able to maintain your directory structure from what you described.
Old 04-24-2021, 05:55 AM

You breakwefix on wedegewood..close to Culver's dose a wonderful job...
Old 04-24-2021, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinner1001 View Post
But if you don't already have a cloud account, I suggest sticking with the thumb drive for simplicity in using what you already have.
It takes about 90 seconds to create a "cloud account" if you don't have one.
Go to Google; create an account; that is your credentials for email and cloud storage.
Signin, open "Google Drive"; copy all files into it; go to other computer; signin using same credentialsd; copy files onto new computer.
DONE!

If you already have a Gmail account, then you have Google Drive whether you know it or not.
Google, read, do.....Easy Peasy
Old 04-24-2021, 06:19 AM

Whoa, all this talk about thumb drives and cables and cloud transfer. There's a simple, safe, fast, easy way: use a solid state drive, maybe 2 or 3 terabytes depending on the size of your files - 2 is a lot. Plug it into the USB port, open the folder containing the docs you want to transfer; then open the SSD drive. Copy and paste. SSD drives are fast. Then just leave the docs on the SSD for backup; you'll have plenty of room. You could also save several thousand photos on that drive; great for backup of all things.

Once you've used a SSD you'll not go back to antediluvian flash drives or old fashioned externals that are prone to failure.
Old 04-24-2021, 06:21 AM
Location: Mt. AIRY NC, NORFOLK VA, VA BEACH, VA, FT WAYNE,IN, CINCINNATI, OH, ROSWELL, GA, THE VILLAGES

use idrive, it backs up everything. Have used it for 4 years. have to subscribe but well worth it.
Online Cloud Backup and Storage | IDrive(R)
Old 04-24-2021, 06:32 AM
Veteran member

This is one of the many reasons I use a Chromebook. All my files are on the cloud and I buy as much cloud storage as I want. I never have to worry about getting a virus, if my Chromebook breaks, all I have to do buy a new one and just log on, it all comes back. If I'm writing the "great American Novel" and I'm about to enter the last letter and it breaks, again, I buy a new one and everything is there, right up to the last letter I entered. Anything I can't d on my Chromebook I use a Linux Mint PC. I haven't needed Windows for the past 3 years.
Closed Thread

Tags
files, laptop, directories, method, maintain

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.