Move files from one laptop to another?

Closed Thread
Old 04-24-2021, 11:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,504 Times in 3,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I agree that Google Drive is a good way to store data in the cloud. But, Google Drive only provides 15GB of free storage. If you want more than that, you need to pay for a subscription. You can buy a thumb drive with as much permanent storage as you want, up to 1TB.
It's 15GB of free storage in addition to unlimited free photos. At least, that's the deal if you have an android phone or a google account.
Old 04-24-2021, 12:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
For those who don't know, OneDrive is a very good deal. For $70 per year, you get Microsoft Office on all of your devices and 1TB of cloud storage on OneDrive. You can go to the Microsoft 365 website to sign up.
I get LibreOffice free, and all of the Google products free. Of the 17GB of data I'm allowed, I'm using only 2. I ALSO have a copy of my entire hard drive on a thumb drive, zipped up nice and pretty, as a backup. I ALSO save all files to my thumb drive, which I keep in my desktop computer all the time except when I switch it to my laptop when I travel. I update all new and edited files to google cloud once a week, it takes seconds.

This way I'm covered whether there's internet or not. I have access to everything, all the time.
Old 04-24-2021, 12:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,701 Times in 5,236 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I get LibreOffice free, and all of the Google products free. Of the 17GB of data I'm allowed, I'm using only 2. I ALSO have a copy of my entire hard drive on a thumb drive, zipped up nice and pretty, as a backup. I ALSO save all files to my thumb drive, which I keep in my desktop computer all the time except when I switch it to my laptop when I travel. I update all new and edited files to google cloud once a week, it takes seconds.

This way I'm covered whether there's internet or not. I have access to everything, all the time.
There are lots of options. I actually use about 500GB of space on OneDrive, most of which is for uncompressed music files. I also like the fact that anything I create on any device is automatically copied to OneDrive and immediately accessible anywhere. Unfortunately, a lot of people do not take advantage of any back up options and they sometimes lose valuable data.
Old 04-24-2021, 08:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
There are lots of options. I actually use about 500GB of space on OneDrive, most of which is for uncompressed music files. I also like the fact that anything I create on any device is automatically copied to OneDrive and immediately accessible anywhere. Unfortunately, a lot of people do not take advantage of any back up options and they sometimes lose valuable data.
I'm a founding member of the Department of Redundancy Department. Old-style computer tech, back in the days of component machines, before laptops were a thing.
DIP switches for life, baby.
Old 04-24-2021, 09:13 PM
Veteran member

On the Google Play store there is a "Send anywhere" app. By putting this app on both laptops (or PC, smartphone) you can select which file/photos/video/document/spreadsheets/etc you want transferred from 1 device to the other device. Once you select the files you want to send, your given a code. On the device you want to receive the files you then open "Send anywhere" and put in that code and indicate you want to receive the files. The files are then transferred from one device to the other. There is a ad you may have to watch prior to the xfer which at one point was a bit much (free version). I believe they have minimized the ads. You don't have to buy a flash drive and can test it out with the free version.
Closed Thread

Tags
files, laptop, directories, method, maintain

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.