MSGs disappear during composition

Closed Thread
Old 01-08-2008, 07:27 PM
Eternal Member
Default MSGs disappear during composition

Firstly, I'm a bit hamfisted.
Secondly, I'm a bit too verbose.

Now the problem. I'll be composing a response full of thoughtful insights and witty repartee when suddenly what I've type disappears from the screen. Looking at the back/forward arrows, nothing is ahead so I've not backed up. The backarrow takes me to the previous screen before I composed and entered my precious thought. Obvious cause is that I'm hitting some key or set of keys, likely with my left hand, that is deleting all that priceless prose. Aggravating the situation is that the keyboard is possibly too high, causing my hands to reach up rather than hover.

Anybody know what I'm hitting to delete? Any shortcut way to retrieve? Generally I just forget about it and go on to something else, after a bit of cursing, but I really hate to deprive this audience of my sage solutions to all problems. Hey, I even had a fix for the Belvedere gate goatrope, but once I typed it, I forgot it. Then it was deleted. What suffers next, world peace or the common cold???
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Old 01-08-2008, 08:05 PM
Sage
Default Re: MSGs disappear during composition

Muncle,

Not sure what key you're hitting to delete the text, but, here's an inelegant way to save your typing.

After you've typed a fair amount of text, use the mouse to highlight all the text then go to the menu and do EDIT-COPY (this puts your text into the comptuer clipboard).

If, somehow, your text gets zapped, just place the cursor in the text window and click on EDIT-PASTE from the menu bar line. This will paste the contents of the clipboard (i.e. the text up until you did EDIT-COPY) back onto the text box.

For a real long message repeat step 1 (Highlight-Edit-Copy) every 5 minutes or so.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:06 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Probably banging the function key with the left hand while hitting something that causes you to go back a page or elsewhere. Here is a real easy way to eliminate the problem. When you want to post something, open a word doc and create all your sage prose in the word doc. You can spell check it, or format it or do any other things capable in word. Then select all, copy, go to where you wish to post, paste, and then post. Never lose anything that way as word creates a temp file while the information will be located and you don't lose anything. When it posts, just close the word doc, don't save and your done.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:06 AM
Eternal Member

Thanx a lot guys. Both excellent suggestions. I've been in this business (ADP) for years and have always been one to preach on the importance of saving your work and doing backup. I, of course, never do backups or periodic saves. 024 ::

Re the unwanted keystroke(s), I figure it has to involve some combination of cntl, alt, shift, space, X and Z ~ and that silly flag key that brings up the Start menu. Gotta get a better computer desk and/or chair.

Thanx again.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:39 AM
Eternal Member

I agree with all of the save and copy stuff but when you are just posting a note it is pretty frustrating to see your note disappear. I mean like where the heck did it go!!

It has happened to me also and is upsetting.

And I know it is not a matter of hitting the wrong key. I think it is somewhere between Spell Check and Post. Or Preview. You do one of those and want to add some info and you cannot get back to the original text and you hit the wrong key and all of a sudden the response is gone. You cannot get back to the original note.

That is when the copy function comes into play.

They should allow you to go back to the original post after Spell Check or Preview. Maybe I do not know the sequence.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:01 AM
Eternal Member

I'm pretty sure that Spell Check creates a new window on top of the one where you're working. After you finish, it pops up with a "Spell Check Complete" window. Hit okay and both the tiny window and the actual spell check window disappear. For the preview, it seems to appear above the block in which you type your msg. After looking at it, I just scroll back down to the work area and either make changes, add, or hit Post. This one had me going for a while. I'd hit Preview and seemingly nothing happened except my screen blinked. Only when I accidentally scrolled up did I see the previewed msg, complete with the silly icons. lovehorse 1rnfl 024 :bow: :hot: crap wav ::

Old 07-08-2008, 06:43 PM

Muncle Same thing has happened to me several times,of course my wife told me I was doing something wrong,that is until it happened to her four times in a row typing the same message. Cannot figure out what is causing this problem :dontknow:
Old 07-08-2008, 07:58 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Dear Mr and Mrs. billy2fish,

Here's another thread on the very same thing. There is some more advice in it. I hope it helps. As you can see, you are not alone in having this happen. It used to happen to me all the time, too. It will get better. Welcome.

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/sm...ic,5131.0.html

Boomer
Old 07-08-2008, 08:47 PM

It would be nice to have a 'save draft' capability, so we can save our thoughts, which I often lose if the page I was working on poofs. Then again, I sometimes lose my train of thought in the middle of a post...

:
Old 07-08-2008, 10:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

Muncle, happens to me often enough too.
I think it is the tab/escape/function key of some kind.

And who ever thinks to back up a writing unless it's a word document of pages and pages?
Old 07-09-2008, 12:33 AM
Eternal Member

Several times lately, I have pressed Post after creating a long and witty reply to find out that it did not take. When I check the post I see that someone else replied about the same time. And - No I did not get the message that someone else replied while you were replying.

I find the best thing to do is do a Ctrl-A and a Ctrl-C to save what I typed and then do the Post. If it did not take, I can then go back to the post and do a reply and a ctrl-V and hit the Post button again.

Seems to save me a load af time.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.