My Gmail trash can icon has disappeared so I can’t delete old emails

Closed Thread
Old 09-28-2020, 06:12 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Default My Gmail trash can icon has disappeared so I can’t delete old emails

I admit to not being the best at keeping up with deleting old emails, but every now and then, I try.

The past couple of times I have started to clean house, I get through one page and then the trash can icon disappears. I can empty what is in the trash but when I go back to delete more emails, I can’t.

Also, lately, two unwelcome icons have appeared at the bottom of the screen. One says “meeting” and the other is something else that I never use. Both of these icons are not only useless, they are annoying. They cover up the “reply” button at the bottom of open emails. It takes some doing to get it back so I can reply.

I have 4 email addresses and this is happening on all of them.

I am ready to take a hammer to my iPad. Does anybody know how to get the trash can icon back to stay and how to get rid of the new, useless icons at the bottom of the screen?

Thank you.

Last edited by Boomer; 09-28-2020 at 06:19 AM.
Old 09-28-2020, 06:52 AM
Veteran member

How are you getting your email? Using the Apple Mail app, another app or directly to the Gmail webpage?
Old 09-28-2020, 06:54 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrprez View Post
How are you getting your email? Using the Apple Mail app, another app or directly to the Gmail webpage?
It is from the Gmail app.
Old 09-28-2020, 06:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,463 Times in 3,089 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
I admit to not being the best at keeping up with deleting old emails, but every now and then, I try.

The past couple of times I have started to clean house, I get through one page and then the trash can icon disappears. I can empty what is in the trash but when I go back to delete more emails, I can’t.

Also, lately, two unwelcome icons have appeared at the bottom of the screen. One says “meeting” and the other is something else that I never use. Both of these icons are not only useless, they are annoying. They cover up the “reply” button at the bottom of open emails. It takes some doing to get it back so I can reply.

I am ready to take a hammer to my iPad. Does anybody know how to get the trash can icon back to stay and how to get rid of the new, useless icons at the bottom of the screen?

Thank you.
Meetings is a new platform for Google, an alternative to Zoom and Skype. Very useful for people who work remote.

When you clear out page 1 of your trash page (I assume by clicking "select all" and then pressing the "delete forever" option), it brings you to a black trash page and at the very top of that trash page, the option to "Empty Trash Now" will appear temporarily.

However, it's likely that you already deleted all your trash, and that's why that option disappears after a few seconds.
Old 09-28-2020, 09:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts

Have you tried to power off and then wait 20 seconds and power on again ( just saying )
Old 09-28-2020, 10:45 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:

Thank you.
Method #3 is what I did and deleted over 4,000 emails at one time.

How do I delete all emails on my Gmail account. I have over 3,000, which transferred from yahoo. - Gmail Community

Solution 3:

Click the label for which you'd like to delete emails, such as "Inbox" or "All Mail." If a label isn't visible, click "More."

Click the drop-down arrow next to the top check box, and then select the type of emails you want to delete. The drop-down menu offers the following options: All, None, Read, Unread, Starred and Unstarred. Selecting any option only selects the emails from the existing page. Some options, such as "All," offer a secondary option to select all emails, as described in the first section. Click "Delete" to move the selected emails to the Trash folder.

To immediately delete these emails, click "Trash," select the emails, and then click "Delete Forever."
Old 09-29-2020, 06:13 AM

You can delete individual emails by right clicking on the email. You will see Delete.

Also, on the line of icons above your mail, where you would normally see the Delete button - at the end of list there are 3 dots, 1 above the other. This is More. Click on that and you should see the Delete button there. Drag it to it's proper place.
Old 09-29-2020, 06:33 AM

I use an iPad. About 3 weeks ago, I received an email from Gmail saying that from now on, all TRASH will be deleted in 30 days.
Old 09-29-2020, 06:44 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredJacobs View Post
You can delete individual emails by right clicking on the email. You will see Delete.

Also, on the line of icons above your mail, where you would normally see the Delete button - at the end of list there are 3 dots, 1 above the other. This is More. Click on that and you should see the Delete button there. Drag it to it's proper place.
He’s using an iPad, no such thing as a right click. The way to delete a single email is to slide to the left and tap delete.
Old 09-29-2020, 07:33 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

Thank you.
Did you try rebooting your iPad?
Old 09-29-2020, 07:43 AM

Swipe left, then hit delete
Old 09-29-2020, 08:07 AM

Settings > mail > touch the mail account on the right > touch “account” > advanced on the bottom > “moved discarded mail to deleted mailbox”.
Done.
Close and reopen mail app to see the change. Trash can should be up at the top
Old 09-29-2020, 08:15 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psacc0 View Post
Settings > mail > touch the mail account on the right > touch “account” > advanced on the bottom > “moved discarded mail to deleted mailbox”.
Done.
Close and reopen mail app to see the change. Trash can should be up at the top
The OP is using a Gmail app, not the Apple Mail app.
Old 09-30-2020, 09:56 AM

Boomer from michigan- rolling thunder
Closed Thread

Tags
emails, trash, icon, bottom, icons

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.