Need advice on desktop vs all in one

Closed Thread
Old 12-04-2018, 09:00 PM
Default Need advice on desktop vs all in one

Have a friend that wants a computer to do email, web browsing, basic stuff. No game playing or anything like that. He wanted to keep the cost around $400 or so.

He wanted me to advise him if an All in One would be better than the traditional desktop. I really have not seen too many All in Ones, so I have a hard time with advise on this one.

Any suggestions?
Old 12-04-2018, 09:25 PM

I use a chrome book for the basic stuff. $200.00
Old 12-04-2018, 09:30 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirknor View Post
I use a chrome book for the basic stuff. $200.00
Plus one I have an Acer Chrome Book it’s probably all they need. Plenty of choices and you can get a nice Chrombook for about $250.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:46 PM

They know how to use Windows, not sure if Chromebook works the same. I think they may be unsure of that one...
Old 12-04-2018, 09:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Chromebook is the answer or you could almost but half an Apple! I'd go for half of the Apple. You're a good friend good luck.

I have an HP laptop that works fine but is sorta slow. $150 takes it away! PM me if you like!
Old 12-04-2018, 09:54 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oot View Post
They know how to use Windows, not sure if Chromebook works the same. I think they may be unsure of that one...
Basically a Chromebook works thru Google’s Chrome Browser so an internet connection is a must. It’s simple to use and if they are familiar with Windows the Chromebook will be an easy transition. They are trouble free computers no subject to viruses either. They have a special feature called “Powerwash”. Even if the computer were to run badly and in my 2 years with one it hasn’t, the Powerwash feature restores the Chromebook back to it’s out of the box condition. They also boot up very fast once I turn mine on and log in all of 15 seconds have passed by.

One more thing the CB is not a desktop style computer. It’s a laptop style so it is all in one.

Here’s a link to the CB I have, it looks very much like a $1000 Apple Mac Book Air.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Acer-Spar...38&athena=true

Last edited by B-flat; 12-04-2018 at 10:06 PM.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,416 Times in 5,107 Posts

I'm not sure $400 is enough for a good Windows computer today. I bought a Lenova Windows laptop about 3 years ago for around $200. Today, that computer is pretty much worthless. It is way too slow. Sams Club has an HP Windows 10 desktop with a 32 inch monitor and wireless mouse for about $1,000. If I needed a desktop, that is what I would buy. But, if you only have $400 to spend, then I would get a Chromebook. I would definitely stay away from an all in one computer. Not a good value and never has been.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Yes you can get a decent low-end computer for under $400, and it won't be a laptop, it'll be a desktop or an AIO (since your question wasn't about laptops or chrome, it was about desktops vs. AIO).

Staples is having a sale on their HP AIO with a 22" diag monitor. It's the low-end, not even a Pavilion. But if all they're doing with it is browsing, e-mail, facebook games, social media stuff, they won't need anything more powerful. It's $350 and comes with Windows 10.

If they already have a functioning monitor and want a better quality (but still lower end) desktop, they'd do fine with an HP Slimline, which comes with Intel iCore 5 from one or two generations ago (which means it works fine, and much better than anything they had in 2010 - technology has improved vastly from then). The Slimline is on sale for $389 but again - that doesn't come with a monitor. You'd need to add another $100 for a decent 22" monitor but if their old one still works it'll be fine with a new computer.

I have a 27" monitor - and it's pretty daunting, if you are sitting close to it (as in, using it mostly for computing). These bigger monitors are more useful for streaming videos and watching movies. Eye strain from being close to BIG stuff is real, y'all.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:22 PM

I guess I go look at a chromebook tomorrow and get an education on newer technology. My friends live in the cold north, so if I suggest for them to get a chromebook, I better learn quick. I only know about your typical Windows systems.

Grew up running those big old IBM computers that took up a room and had round reel tapes and punch cards to run your programs.......oh the good old days...
Old 12-04-2018, 10:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,416 Times in 5,107 Posts

I do almost everything on a 10 inch Samsung Android tablet. I use a desktop for preparing taxes and for very complicated tasks. You may want to consider a tablet instead of a laptop.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:21 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Have a friend that wants a computer to do email, web browsing, basic stuff. No game playing or anything like that. He wanted to keep the cost around $400 or so.

He wanted me to advise him if an All in One would be better than the traditional desktop. I really have not seen too many All in Ones, so I have a hard time with advise on this one.

Any suggestions?
You can do everything a computer can do and more on a newer Smart phone. I have a Galaxy Note 8 and it is much much better than any computer.. it fits in my pocket...

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
Old 12-05-2018, 06:59 AM
Sage

Your friend may wish to take a look at iPads. They start at about $300 new and there are 4 different screen sizes available. I would avoid anything used that is more than 2 years old. If he truly wants an all-in-one, an iMac is another option but he won’t get one for $400 since they start at about $1000. However, you do get what you pay for.

Quote:

Any suggestions?

Last edited by biker1; 12-05-2018 at 07:10 AM.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:06 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
I guess I go look at a chromebook tomorrow and get an education on newer technology. My friends live in the cold north, so if I suggest for them to get a chromebook, I better learn quick. I only know about your typical Windows systems.

Grew up running those big old IBM computers that took up a room and had round reel tapes and punch cards to run your programs.......oh the good old days...
I've been using a chromebook for about 10 years. I've used Apple II, and all version of Microsoft (DOS included), If you've used the chrome browser you can use a chromebook. BTW, you can get a chromebox if you already have a monitor and keyboard.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:18 AM
Gold member

I have a Dell all in one and would never go back to a laptop or tower type. It's just awesome.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:35 AM
Gold member

go to dealnews.com and you can find plenty of desktop pcs for $300
Closed Thread

Tags
advise, wanted, desktop, traditional, suggestions

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.