Need advice on desktop vs all in one

Closed Thread
Old 12-09-2018, 09:16 PM
Soaring Eagle member

There are numerous different brands of Chromeboxes available. They are small systems, about like a Mac mini or NUC in size, that require an external keyboard, monitor, and mouse. If the monitor has a VESA mount then some Chromeboxes can be mounted on the back of the monitor. Simply do a google search on Chromebox. This was already mentioned in post #13.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
The only reason for my opinion is that the OP apparently wants to continue using the obsolete Windows 7 software and an external monitor and keyboard. As far as I know, you cannot buy a Chromebook tower, only a stand alone laptop. But, if you want to plug in external components to a laptop, then the Chromebook would work. It just doesn't make sense to me to do that, but it will work. Most people who buy a laptop, use it as a laptop because it has a built in screen and keyboard. They don't plug in external components. Personally, I don't like Windows 10 either, and I still use a desktop with Windows 7. It works fine, even if it is obsolete. But, I also have a laptop for portability.

Last edited by tuccillo; 12-09-2018 at 09:40 PM.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,414 Times in 5,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
There are numerous different brands of Chromeboxes available. They are small systems, about like a Mac mini or NUC in size, that require an external keyboard, monitor, and mouse. If the monitor has a VESA mount then some Chromeboxes can be mounted on the back of the monitor. Simply do a google search on Chromebox. This was already mentioned in post #13.
I looked them up and I agree that a Chromebox would fit the bill without paying for a laptop screen and keyboard that you would not use. They are priced between $200 and $300. You can also buy a refurbished Windows 7 tower for less than $100 on Amazon that would have a better processor and more features than the Chromebox. So, I guess it really depends on whether you want to switch to the Chrome system or stay with Windows.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:08 PM
Soaring Eagle member

The OP said the system was needed for web browsing, e-mail, and basic stuff. Chrome systems have a lightweight OS and don't require a lot of processing power and the stated needs are also minimal so having a better processor doesn't matter. However, you can buy Chromeboxes with contemporary Intel I7 processors as well as less powerful Celerons and even ARM. I am not sure what additional features you are referring to that the OP's friend needs. They are also immune to viruses.

Quote:
I looked them up and I agree that a Chromebox would fit the bill without paying for a laptop screen and keyboard that you would not use. They are priced between $200 and $300. You can also buy a refurbished Windows 7 tower for less than $100 on Amazon that would have a better processor and more features than the Chromebox. So, I guess it really depends on whether you want to switch to the Chrome system or stay with Windows.

Last edited by tuccillo; 12-09-2018 at 11:34 PM.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:56 PM
Sage

The additional features I was thinking about were additional usb input ports, micro and mini card reader ports, a dvd/cd read and record drive, built-in internal hard drive storage of 500 to 1000 gb, and the Windows Media Center and Media Player software, which are some of the best media software programs for music I have ever used. Many people have complained that one reason they don't like Windows 10 is that Microsoft eliminated the Media Center software from the Windows 10 software package.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:29 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I have seen Chromeboxes with 4 USB ports. In the unlikely event that you need more then you can buy a low-cost USB hub. Various card readers are also available, if not already present in the box, as are DVD drives. Chrome is basically cloud-centric when it comes to storage; a lot of stuff you store in the cloud. Someone with basic needs, such as the OP's friend, is unlikely to require large amounts of local storage. If more local storage is needed, however, a larger SSD can be installed or a USB drive added. Software wise you essentially get the whole google suite as well as the ability to run Android apps. I doubt a basic user will want for anything software wise. Since there is no OS to install or upgrade and viruses and malware are non-existent, it isn't clear to me why anyone with basic needs would bother with a Windows system.

Quote:
The additional features I was thinking about were additional usb input ports, micro and mini card reader ports, a dvd/cd read and record drive, built-in internal hard drive storage of 500 to 1000 gb, and the Windows Media Center and Media Player software, which are some of the best media software programs for music I have ever used. Many people have complained that one reason they don't like Windows 10 is that Microsoft eliminated the Media Center software from the Windows 10 software package.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:01 AM
Sage

I really don't have a problem with Chromeboxes or Chromebooks. They are great. But, I have found that a lot of average, non-computer people still feel uncomfortable with cloud storage and don't understand it.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 12-10-2018 at 06:13 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:20 AM
Sage

Any opinions on the latest iPad Pros?

(Yeah....I know they're expensive. )
Old 12-10-2018, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oot View Post
I guess I go look at a chromebook tomorrow and get an education on newer technology. My friends live in the cold north, so if I suggest for them to get a chromebook, I better learn quick. I only know about your typical Windows systems.

Grew up running those big old IBM computers that took up a room and had round reel tapes and punch cards to run your programs.......oh the good old days...
I was a tape librarian for 10 years and did lots of keypunching...oh the good old days is right
Old 12-28-2018, 08:26 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Warm laptop on your knees seems a good choice for those who live in the cold north
Anyway, as an experienced PC user, I can say that mastering Chromebook is easy and transition from Windows-interface should be fine. But a tablet is a viable option too.
Old 12-28-2018, 10:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

I have a Lenovo all-in-one computer with a wireless mouse and keyboard. Here's a blurb that describes them:

"All-in-one PCs are a great middle ground for those seeking a home computer — they take up less room than*traditional towers, and offer more screen space than most*laptops. These unique PCs pack their components, ports and monitors into a single unit, allowing you to easily prop one onto your desk, plug in and get to work (or play)."

Add a wireless printer and you have an uncluttered workspace.

The Villages Florida

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Closed Thread

Tags
advise, wanted, desktop, traditional, suggestions

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.