Need advice on desktop vs all in one

Closed Thread
Old 12-05-2018, 10:53 AM
Platinum member

Can you plug a chromebook into a larger monitor?
Old 12-05-2018, 12:05 PM
Sage

Also, can you use a separate keyboard with Chromebook?
Old 12-05-2018, 03:42 PM
Veteran member

If all you're looking to do is email, web browsing, then a tablet makes so much more sense.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:23 AM

The all-in-ones are really nice and save a lot of space. They're especially nice with a touch screen which take a little time to get used to but are a real nice alternative to using a mouse. The biggest issue (for me) is the all-in-1s are built of laptop components which are difficult to find replacements for if any go bad on you. (Standard desktops are *usually* built from interchangeable parts which are easily swapped out).
Old 12-06-2018, 09:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
Also, can you use a separate keyboard with Chromebook?
Mrs. Carla, I'm 99% sure you can use a separate keyboard on a Chromebook. tomwed has done a lot of investigation for us rookies and I ended up buying a $20 keyboard for my Ipad. Who would have ever thunk it? It works perfectly. Just charge it and it hooked up automatically, just great.

Chromebook is fantastic and we miss ours as it was appropriated by another sometime during our move. Easy come easy go. I'm not certain about a monitor but if your Chromebook has the proper receptacle on the side I see no reason why a Monitor couldn't be used. Good Luck.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,028 Times in 2,726 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
Your friend may wish to take a look at iPads. They start at about $300 new and there are 4 different screen sizes available. I would avoid anything used that is more than 2 years old. If he truly wants an all-in-one, an iMac is another option but he won’t get one for $400 since they start at about $1000. However, you do get what you pay for.
You can't go wrong with the basic entry level 9.7 inch ipad for $329. With a good case and taxes will be about $400. I have an 8 year old version that I use multiple times a day and have never had an issue. Apple operating system very stable.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:47 PM
Soaring Eagle member

BestBuy has a sale on now for the 32 GB 9.7" iPad for $269. That is a good deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
You can't go wrong with the basic entry level 9.7 inch ipad for $329. With a good case and taxes will be about $400. I have an 8 year old version that I use multiple times a day and have never had an issue. Apple operating system very stable.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,028 Times in 2,726 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
BestBuy has a sale on now for the 32 GB 9.7" iPad for $269. That is a good deal.
Thanks for pointing out the sale, I just went online to Best Buy and purchased one, $330 total includes 32 GB 9.7" ipad, wifi only, a nice cover, and taxes. Free shipping included, should show up at house Saturday (2 days). The newer version has many improvements over my old ipad, which I paid twice as much for. The battery in my very old ipad is getting tired and does not hold a charge like it used. The old one will become my traveling ipad, which I will not worry about if it gets banged up.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Mrs. Carla, I'm 99% sure you can use a separate keyboard on a Chromebook. tomwed has done a lot of investigation for us rookies and I ended up buying a $20 keyboard for my Ipad. Who would have ever thunk it? It works perfectly. Just charge it and it hooked up automatically, just great.

Chromebook is fantastic and we miss ours as it was appropriated by another sometime during our move. Easy come easy go. I'm not certain about a monitor but if your Chromebook has the proper receptacle on the side I see no reason why a Monitor couldn't be used. Good Luck.
Dear Mr. Nucky,

Thanks for your reply. I've had a Dell All-in-One since January, 2014 and use Windows 10. I love my AIO and like Windows 10, as well. I'm inquiring on behalf of my DH. (1) He refuses to give up his HP 27" monitor (2) He also uses a keyboard. (3) He also refuses to advance from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and says if and when he can't use Windows 7 anymore he'll get a Mac. (Like that will be easier to use?)

I'm wondering about a less drastic move, since he doesn't do real computing, just email, surfing, and playing solitaire. I think a Chromebook might be the solution, IF he can use his 27" monitor and a keyboard.

Would that arrangement work?

Carla B.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:34 PM

All in ones are a problem when a part like the dvd player goes down or the screen goes out. With a desktop, you can replace these easily with generic parts, on an all in one, they are integrated and cost more to fix.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Dear Mr. Nucky,

Thanks for your reply. I've had a Dell All-in-One since January, 2014 and use Windows 10. I love my AIO and like Windows 10, as well. I'm inquiring on behalf of my DH. (1) He refuses to give up his HP 27" monitor (2) He also uses a keyboard. (3) He also refuses to advance from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and says if and when he can't use Windows 7 anymore he'll get a Mac. (Like that will be easier to use?)

I'm wondering about a less drastic move, since he doesn't do real computing, just email, surfing, and playing solitaire. I think a Chromebook might be the solution, IF he can use his 27" monitor and a keyboard.

Carla B.
I think you will be fine with the Chromebook as long as it has a spot for an HDMI cable. This is the much less expensive way out. One thing we found to be true on our last Dell all in one that's still alive is that we prefer Apple way more than anything with Windows 10. Yuck. Good Luck.

Last edited by Nucky; 12-09-2018 at 08:06 PM.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,587 Times in 5,184 Posts

Quote:
Dear Mr. Nucky,

Carla B.
In my opinion, you would be better off to not buy a Chromebook laptop to use with an external monitor and keyboard. You can buy a Windows 7 desktop tower and get a lot more computing power, speed, internal storage, a dvd drive, and usb inputs for less money. Chromebooks are designed to be used as stand alone laptops, not as a desktop replacement. There are plenty of Windows 7 desktop towers to choose from at Amazon, Staples, Walmart, and Best Buy. And, they tend to be very inexpensive because Windows 7 is basically obsolete.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 12-09-2018 at 08:12 PM.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:19 PM
Sage

There is what makes our country great. Contrasting opinions. I, however, would not sink a dollar into a basically obsolete piece of equipment. Chromebook is current and supported and I like it. You also have no worries about Viruses sorta like Apple. I'm a Rookie learn as I Earn Computer guy, maybe the others are correct.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:28 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
There is what makes our country great. Contrasting opinions. I, however, would not sink a dollar into a basically obsolete piece of equipment. Chromebook is current and supported and I like it. You also have no worries about Viruses sorta like Apple. I'm a Rookie learn as I Earn Computer guy, maybe the others are correct.
Very well said Nucky, I’m on the same page you are. I worked in the Windows IT world for about 15 years. When I retired I left the Windows world in my rear view mirror, I use i either my Macs, Chromebook or iPad depending on the situation.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,587 Times in 5,184 Posts

The only reason for my opinion is that the OP apparently wants to continue using the obsolete Windows 7 software and an external monitor and keyboard. As far as I know, you cannot buy a Chromebook tower, only a stand alone laptop. But, if you want to plug in external components to a laptop, then the Chromebook would work. It just doesn't make sense to me to do that, but it will work. Most people who buy a laptop, use it as a laptop because it has a built in screen and keyboard. They don't plug in external components. Personally, I don't like Windows 10 either, and I still use a desktop with Windows 7. It works fine, even if it is obsolete. But, I also have a laptop for portability.
Closed Thread

Tags
advise, wanted, desktop, traditional, suggestions

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.