Need computer advice

Closed Thread
Old 06-18-2019, 06:34 AM

Quote:
First thing I would do is to run Malwarebytes and remove any baddies. If it is a win-10 machine you can reset it to factory default. It will offer a choice to "Keep my files" or "Remove everything," You would save your personal folder to a flash drive or external hard drive and choose "remove everything" then replace your personal folder.(your personal folder is on C:/users/name of computer)
I would recommend going one step further. Wipe the disk and reload operating system without the new computer bloat that they add-on(free programs-trial offers-etc) Then reload personal programs and data. That may fix everything. Lots of people here offer help, or take it to the Geek Squad or some other professional if you need help. I would think $100. would do it all. JMHO
Old 06-18-2019, 07:14 AM
Veteran member

Some people need a Windows PC because of a certain program that only runs on Windows, I get that and understand that. But, it seems that 90% of Villagers that have a Windows PC, don't do anything that really requires a Windows operating system. I use a Chromebook 90% of the time and converted an old PC to Linux Mint for anything else (which isn't much).
The Chromebook never gets a virus, never makes you wait to do a download or an update (updates all happen in the background as to not bother you). The battery lasts 8-10 hours, it boots up very fast and is very secure. I've been using one since they first came out.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:22 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Apples use to say, "No Virus" also.

Wait for it, wait for it.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:29 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsetc View Post
I would recommend going one step further. Wipe the disk and reload operating system without the new computer bloat that they add-on(free programs-trial offers-etc) Then reload personal programs and data. That may fix everything. Lots of people here offer help, or take it to the Geek Squad or some other professional if you need help. I would think $100. would do it all. JMHO
I have an appointment with the Geek Squad this morning. I learned the 2 USB ports on the right side are dead, can they be replaced?

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 06-18-2019, 08:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
Some people need a Windows PC because of a certain program that only runs on Windows, I get that and understand that. But, it seems that 90% of Villagers that have a Windows PC, don't do anything that really requires a Windows operating system. I use a Chromebook 90% of the time and converted an old PC to Linux Mint for anything else (which isn't much).
The Chromebook never gets a virus, never makes you wait to do a download or an update (updates all happen in the background as to not bother you). The battery lasts 8-10 hours, it boots up very fast and is very secure. I've been using one since they first came out.
Chromebooks are great if 100% of your computing is done online. If your internet or power to your location is down, oh well. Though, is it true that some of the newer models have put in slots for SD or flash drives? If so, that'd solve that problem.

If it's just a dummy terminal for an internet-based operating system, I wouldn't get one. I need to know I can use the thing to read a book, write stuff, play puzzles, even if the power (and by extension, the internet) is down.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:22 AM
Veteran member

take it to Jacobs in wildwood on 301 , he is very good with computers.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:42 PM

Microsoft Surface laptops and surface go laptops make really good machines too.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:14 PM
Veteran member

Both Windows and Apple allow executable programs to be downloaded and installed. Chromebook does not since there is no place to load a executable program. Also, Chromebook checks the current operating system against a "key" and if it does not match, it loads a prior version while downloading the latest version - all without you knowing it.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:20 PM
Veteran member

You can load files for "offline" use such as documents, spreadsheets, Kindle books, PDFs, music and videos. The battery lasts for 8-10 hours. If the internet is down (something that happens from time to time here in The Villages) I use my phone as a "hotspot" to connect to the internet. I had to do that a few weeks ago when the power went out in Country Club Hills.
Closed Thread

Tags
lenovo, slow, closely, bobho, thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.