Need Help With File Access

Closed Thread
Old 04-25-2018, 06:24 PM
Default Need Help With File Access

I'm trying to completely clean up a program to get a fresh start with a new download. There is one folder in the driver store > file repository that I cannot delete. I need permission from the administrator (that's me) to make changes. This is using Windows 10.

I spent at least an hour trying to follow instructions that I Googled and nothing works. Is there a way I can get control of this folder with 3 driver files to delete it? Security properties for the folder say only "SYSTEM" has "full control", "modify", and "write" permissions.

Thank you for any help.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:19 PM

1. Make sure the files/folder are not in use (task manager).

2. Try booting in safe mode.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:52 PM
fw102807

How to Take Ownership of a Folder in Windows 10 Using File Explorer
Old 04-26-2018, 07:00 AM
Sage

Ideally, should the uninstall program removed it the first time.

I ask because I have reinstalled a program before in the hopes that the uninstall part worked the second time.

If that makes sense.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:05 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
Ideally, should the uninstall program removed it the first time.

I ask because I have reinstalled a program before in the hopes that the uninstall part worked the second time.

If that makes sense.
The uninstall program does not usually uninstall all of the components because some of them may be shared with other programs. I am assuming and probably incorrectly that the OP is following instructions on doing this.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:14 AM
Veteran member

When so many people have so many problems with Windows, why do they use it?
Old 04-26-2018, 07:22 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
When so many people have so many problems with Windows, why do they use it?
Because it is the gorilla. I do understand your love for the Chromebook since it is very simple but I cannot deal with having all of my files only accessible when I am online.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:48 AM
Veteran member

You can have your files on your chromebook, either in local memory or external storage. That way you can use your files when wifi is not available. Any updates you do to those files will automatically sync when you do connect to wifi.

As Google adds more and more functionality to the chromebook (thru apps) I think more and more people will use the chromebook.

Yes, you can not run "Windows" programs on the chromebook, but I either find work-arounds(and there are many) or, more commonly, I find I don't need the Windows version.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:32 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
You can have your files on your chromebook, either in local memory or external storage. That way you can use your files when wifi is not available. Any updates you do to those files will automatically sync when you do connect to wifi.

As Google adds more and more functionality to the chromebook (thru apps) I think more and more people will use the chromebook.

Yes, you can not run "Windows" programs on the chromebook, but I either find work-arounds(and there are many) or, more commonly, I find I don't need the Windows version.
Having worked in a cloud environment I know it is only as good as the people who maintain it. I prefer to have control over my own files. I even download my email messages. I do have to be vigilant about backup though.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:36 AM
Sage

It's a good idea to keep your important files in 3 locations. Do you remember Windows SyncToy? It's old school. I had automatic back-ups going on in 3 locations.

I'm going to order another flash memory card and tryout Downloads Router App on my Chromebook. If it runs like SyncToy
I'll have the file on the chromebook HD, a copy on the SD card and another copy in the cloud every time I click on save all for the price of an SD card.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:21 AM

I appreciate the help. I have worked through this very clear tutorial and when I get to step 12, the only active functions are "change", "OK", and "cancel". I can't "add" the new owner so I never gain permission to delete the folder and files.

Not a big deal. I'll live with a folder with a few small files in it. IObit Uninstaller which is usually pretty thorough did not find it. The original program itself which is for my wife's blood glucose monitor did not have an uninstall function. This all started because the company sent out an update in early April and now some folks on Windows 10 can't upload data anymore. We'll wait for their next fix. They are aware of the problem.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:42 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob47 View Post
I appreciate the help. I have worked through this very clear tutorial and when I get to step 12, the only active functions are "change", "OK", and "cancel". I can't "add" the new owner so I never gain permission to delete the folder and files.

Not a big deal. I'll live with a folder with a few small files in it. IObit Uninstaller which is usually pretty thorough did not find it. The original program itself which is for my wife's blood glucose monitor did not have an uninstall function. This all started because the company sent out an update in early April and now some folks on Windows 10 can't upload data anymore. We'll wait for their next fix. They are aware of the problem.
Is this helpful?
How to Make Old Programs Work on Windows 10
I looked at it again and I think it's for much older programs.

Last edited by tomwed; 04-26-2018 at 12:22 PM.
Old 04-26-2018, 03:13 PM
fw102807

Quote:

On the screen you are looking at is there a Change permissions button? If you click on that you then get the add button. I think this may have been written for an upgrade version of Windows 10 or they just skipped a step.
Old 04-29-2018, 08:06 PM

Quote:
I'm trying to completely clean up a program to get a fresh start with a new download. There is one folder in the driver store > file repository that I cannot delete. I need permission from the administrator (that's me) to make changes. This is using Windows 10.

I spent at least an hour trying to follow instructions that I Googled and nothing works. Is there a way I can get control of this folder with 3 driver files to delete it? Security properties for the folder say only "SYSTEM" has "full control", "modify", and "write" permissions.

Thank you for any help.
I thought I'd let you know how this had ended up. I worked with the tech department of the device maker and together we could not get the newly updated software to work on my desktop computer. Subsequently I cleaned every trace of the old software with IObit Uninstaller, could find no remaining folders or files using Windows explorer, and used CCleaner to make sure there were no registry problems. Even so, when I tried to install the replacement software I got a fatal error.

I then installed the updated software on a laptop that runs the same Windows 10 and Avast antivirus and the install works perfectly. Who knows why these things happen? Once again, thanks for the help.
Old 04-29-2018, 08:14 PM
fw102807

Quote:
I thought I'd let you know how this had ended up. I worked with the tech department of the device maker and together we could not get the newly updated software to work on my desktop computer. Subsequently I cleaned every trace of the old software with IObit Uninstaller, could find no remaining folders or files using Windows explorer, and used CCleaner to make sure there were no registry problems. Even so, when I tried to install the replacement software I got a fatal error.

I then installed the updated software on a laptop that runs the same Windows 10 and Avast antivirus and the install works perfectly. Who knows why these things happen? Once again, thanks for the help.
Glad to hear that you found a way. Thanks for the update.
Closed Thread

Tags
folder, driver, control, delete, file

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.