Need help finding a streaming service

Closed Thread
Old 10-02-2022, 07:26 AM

Old 10-02-2022, 07:43 AM
Default Streaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired guy View Post
We stream FUBO they carry a lot of sports.
check out Clark Howard on the web , his site compares the major streaming services.
I think Century link is now Quantum fiber. That is our WIFI provider.
On 9-15-22, I set an appointment with Quantum Fiber for internet installation on Sat, 9-24-22. Came in from Michigan that morning and waited for my 2-4pm appointment. I called at 5:30 and was told that had no technicians available that day. When I asked why they didn't call in the morning to let me know, she did not have an answer. She tried to transfer me to the scheduling department but they said they could not tell me when they could reschedule. I went back to Xfinity. Them and Quantum are the only non-dish providers available in my area in Glenbrook. All we do is stream with ROKU tv's. Have used YouTube TV, Sling and others for normal programming, but are still evaluating the best for us.
Bottom line is I vote no on Quantum and neighbors have tried and failed with the dish folks. Best of luck on finding the one that fits for you.
Old 10-02-2022, 07:54 AM

Call Rodger at Omnivision. Everything you want and much much more. All sports, all games (with VOD fir hames you missed), hundreds of live TV channels, all cable channels incl news, entertainment, subscr movie (HBO, Statz, etc.), hundreds of on demand movies and TV series. $365/yr.
(352) 222-8638
Old 10-02-2022, 07:59 AM
Default Free tv via Kodi.com

I read about this non profit and apparently it is legitimate. It is used together with Firestick and there are no charges. I think the user has to program in the channels desired. Anyone have experience with Kodi? Very professional site.
Old 10-02-2022, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windylou View Post
We need to get away from xfinity. .... TV, house phone and computer.
Considering a change to Century Link for computer ... or possibly stay with Xfinity for that ???
However, for streaming we would like all football, basketball and baseball.
NFL, NBA and college. We like HGTV, Hallmark, Fox News and Weather Channel.

Someone told me that they had ALL the sports and other channels that we like
for just $39 but that was when we did not think we needed it. Xfinity prices have
gone up again !

Please tell me your experiences . THANK YOU
We use Century Link for Internet (no problems at all) $55 a month and YouTubeTV for streaming. It's awesome. We're from Texas and get all the Cowboys games, Mavericks, and Rangers, TCU and UT. You have many different options to choose from and can add or subtract one by one if you want. We pay $75 a month for the basic with a couple of add ons. You can get a free trial I believe. It keeps track of what you like to watch the most and you can put programs or movies in your "library" to record and watch later. It's quite comprehensive.
Old 10-02-2022, 08:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,592 Times in 5,189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcolby7 View Post
I read about this non profit and apparently it is legitimate. It is used together with Firestick and there are no charges. I think the user has to program in the channels desired. Anyone have experience with Kodi? Very professional site.
It doesn't sound legitimate.
Old 10-02-2022, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windylou View Post
We need to get away from xfinity. .... TV, house phone and computer.
Considering a change to Century Link for computer ... or possibly stay with Xfinity for that ???
However, for streaming we would like all football, basketball and baseball.
NFL, NBA and college. We like HGTV, Hallmark, Fox News and Weather Channel.

Someone told me that they had ALL the sports and other channels that we like
for just $39 but that was when we did not think we needed it. Xfinity prices have
gone up again !

Please tell me your experiences . THANK YOU
Thanks for starting this thread. Many of us are tech neophytes and care to remain so. However, it would be nice to know of a person or service that would get us up-to-date with the latest and most financially savvy service. Is there such a person/service available who/that would come to the house to configure one TV. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-02-2022, 08:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,592 Times in 5,189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp243 View Post
Thanks for starting this thread. Many of us are tech neophytes and care to remain so. However, it would be nice to know of a person or service that would get us up-to-date with the latest and most financially savvy service. Is there such a person/service available who/that would come to the house to configure one TV. Thanks in advance.
I really don't think you need a service. Buy a Roku stick and plug it in to an HDMI input on the back of your television. Follow the onscreen instructions. If you have a problem, ask a neighbor to help you.
Old 10-02-2022, 08:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,382 Times in 2,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
It doesn't sound legitimate.
Exactly!

NFL packages cost around $400 if you can even get one
Live network stations cost around $60/month whether from Hulu, YouTube, or cable
Live network stations can only be broadcast in their local area
Netflix costs about $18/month
Hulu costs about $12/month without live TV
Disney costs about $9/month

BUT, "there is this guy" who can set you up with ALL the sports and ALL the network channels and ALL the movies for just $365/year total!

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 10-02-2022, 08:51 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigallis1 View Post
Recently heard about a streaming service here in the villages.
Supposedly $100.00/yr
There is a guy here who sets it up for you. Forgot his name.
Not sure how good it is.
Maybe others can chime in who know about it.
I believe that’s called a “jailbreak stick”. As the name suggests, it’s stealing services.
Old 10-02-2022, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired guy View Post
We stream FUBO they carry a lot of sports.
check out Clark Howard on the web , his site compares the major streaming services.
I think Century link is now Quantum fiber. That is our WIFI provider.
Yes!
Quantum, FUBO, and a streaming stick like ROKU and you'll have pretty much all you can watch except old movies Aon TCM.
Old 10-02-2022, 09:04 AM
Veteran member

There is so much more to think about when streaming than just can I get this channel. Most all of the streaming companies have terrible recording options. If that doesn't pertain to you then you can go with just about anybody. I always look at the current streaming services and for what we want, channels and recording options, there is only 1 service that we have been with for decades.
As for internet, 25 Mb is too slow, especially if you have multiple tv's and recording shows to the cloud at the same time, as well as working on your computer. For $50 a month, you can get 300Mb download speeds with 10-20Mb upload, fairly slow. For $80, I get 1200Mb speed, 4x the speed for not much more money. At the slower speeds, even at 300Mb, the time it takes to buffer a show can be mins, especially if its 4k content, at 1200Mb, it's a few seconds.
Old 10-02-2022, 09:07 AM

Just found the name of the streaming service. It's called SIQXCIPTV.
Old 10-02-2022, 09:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,009 Posts

just last night my nephew was telling me about StarLink, & how it covers all needs. it's still new down here, will need to wait until 2023 for it to get to us. i'm keeping an eye out. does anyone here have experience with it?
Old 10-02-2022, 09:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,382 Times in 2,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmurano View Post
There is so much more to think about when streaming than just can I get this channel. Most all of the streaming companies have terrible recording options. If that doesn't pertain to you then you can go with just about anybody. I always look at the current streaming services and for what we want, channels and recording options, there is only 1 service that we have been with for decades.
As for internet, 25 Mb is too slow, especially if you have multiple tv's and recording shows to the cloud at the same time, as well as working on your computer. For $50 a month, you can get 300Mb download speeds with 10-20Mb upload, fairly slow. For $80, I get 1200Mb speed, 4x the speed for not much more money. At the slower speeds, even at 300Mb, the time it takes to buffer a show can be mins, especially if its 4k content, at 1200Mb, it's a few seconds.
What device are you using to record to the cloud?

Hulu-Live records at Hulu, the stream never comes to your house if you are just recording. I suspect YouTube TV is the same.

My 50Mbps is more than sufficient to stream to two televisions while browsing the internet on two other devices with absolutely no buffering. (Note: This is consistent with the Netflix recommendation of at least 25Mbps for 4K streaming)

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Closed Thread

Tags
xfinity, computer, streaming, sports, channels

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.