Need New Printer

Closed Thread
Old 01-31-2021, 09:04 AM

Brother Laser printer for me works great. Injets will dry and plug up if not used periodically. Can go months without use with no issues.
Old 01-31-2021, 09:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts

Canon. They have several in that price range. They also do a beautiful job printing photographs.
Old 01-31-2021, 09:21 AM
Default Recommendation for printer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karadad View Post
Need a new all in one printer for PC. $100-200 range. Any recommendations? Thanks
I just bought (on Amazon) an HP office jet pro 8025 all-in- one wireless for $170 new. I highly recommend it.
Old 01-31-2021, 09:23 AM

They have all come into general parity. Look for ine that “docks” the ink cartridges as they save ink. If you print regularly its cheapest to join an ink membership from the manufacturer. Other than that ink is the real cost with printers anymore. Go online for deals.
Old 01-31-2021, 09:40 AM
Location: Wisconsin, California, military, California, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, (Ugh!) and, FINALLY, TV
Default Ink!

Quote:
Need a new all in one printer for PC. $100-200 range. Any recommendations? Thanks
You'll have plenty of All-in-One devices to choose from. Check on the INK price and availability before you buy. INK is where the cost of use will make a BIG difference.
Old 01-31-2021, 09:45 AM

The cost of the printer is not very important. It's the cost of the printer ink that will bankrupt you. Find a printer that uses the least amount of ink regardless of the cost of the printer itself. You'll be much better off.
Old 01-31-2021, 09:47 AM

HP2650
Never switch the printer off as the most common problem is clotting of the printer heads.
Old 01-31-2021, 09:54 AM

I have good luck with HP. I currently have an HP budget black and white 1102W Laserjet and HP OfficeJet Pro 6970 Color. A consideration is it you require color, be prepared to pay more for ink. I would recommend a basic laserjet if color is not required.

Jus' sayin'
Old 01-31-2021, 09:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,874 Times in 948 Posts

Quote:
You are not providing much information. There are two systems ink jet or lazer. First question do you need, want color? Next question how much will you use it and how often
will you use it. If, you must have color, at the price you are looking for you will likely only find ink jet. The cost per print on ink jet is higher than lazer and the print speed is slower.
Also since the inks are water soluble, any water will ruin your print. Another major problem with ink jet is that left unused the ink dries up in the spray head. As happened with mine and for many people I know once the ink dries on the head the solution is to toss the printer. They claim you can try to clean the head. I tried-it didn't work. Aside,
the printer I had took 5 ink cartridges and they cost $30 each. Over it's life I changed the cartridges as I used to use it far more than when I retired, like 4-5 times. So in a printer that I bought for $100 I spent many times that on the ink.

The same is true for the lazer printers. The device is likely a loss leader for the companies. They make money on the ink and or lazer cartridge.

I currently have a Samsung B&W only lazer. I expect it is discontinued as I bought it 3-4 years ago. It has been fine. Does scans, faxes, prints and connects to your cell phone.
I paid $100 for it. They give you enough ink for about 500 copies. If, I recall that is more than they gave me with my former color ink jet. Ink, you replace the entire section so you get a new head etc. If I recall the assembly is like $90 new. People do sell refilled ones as they do with ink jets. I never used or bought the refilled ones. You do save a little. Is it worth the trouble, questionable loss of quality, do you really get the claimed number of prints? Not to me.

Value? Imagine trying to make that thing, pack it in a 4 color designed to ship box and selling it for $100-200. Amazing value.

Cost per print ink jet, not counting machine cost or life is about 15 cents a page in B&W color like 20 plus. Lazer is like 5 cents.
Old 01-31-2021, 09:58 AM
Default printer for sale

I have one I will sell you it is like brand new HP with ink $50
859-743-2975
Old 01-31-2021, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoogley View Post
Never switch the printer off as the most common problem is clotting of the printer heads.
I 2nd that; never power off a printer, they periodically do self maintenance on the print heads to keep them unclogged.
I highly recommend an Epson eco-printer; they use bottled ink and the bottles are much cheaper than cartridges. There are several models ranging in price and features.
Old 01-31-2021, 10:11 AM
Veteran member

My next printer will not be a color printer. I would rarely need color and the price is pretty high. I have also since found that even when you print in B&W the printer still uses some color and as each color runs out it has to be replace or you cannot print at all.
Old 01-31-2021, 10:12 AM
Location: Moved to the Village of Caroline from St. Louis MO.

Be cautious, when buying a printer the first cost is not the only factor. You will be using many, many replacement cartridges during its lifetime. When looking into printers, also some have one cartridge which has the colors and black. When one of the colors or black is used up, the rest of the ink goes to waste. Suggest you look for a printer that has threee sepereate cartridges for the color, and a fourth for Black. I have had a Brother printer for 5 plus years. Their service of any issues via telephone is fantastic. The cost of ink is reasonable. Be cautious of the low initial price printer, they get you on the cartridges.
Old 01-31-2021, 10:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,874 Times in 948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesser160@aol.com View Post
I have been looking also. Frankly, every printer available by every manufacturer has many poor ratings. You should put this question to Google.
As far as poor ratings. Before buying any product on line the first thing I look at is the negative ratings. Some are reasonable. Things that perhaps I didn't realize were included in competitive products. Some people post unreasonable expectations. For example the original poster said $100-$200 for an all in one copier. They should not expect a far more expensive machine designed for heavy office use.

I have a Samsung B&W laser and have had it for several years. I paid $99 for it.
I am thrilled with the quality and the low cost per print. I'm fairly certain it has been replaced. I expect if I looked it up, and reviews are still out there someone was unhappy with it. For one thing it is fairly large and if you need to reboot it there is no switch.
Truly simple, I have all my computer stuff plugged into a power strip with a spike protector and a switch for each socket. Suggestion, far as a power strip, my modem is on another switched outlet. Far easier than moving my heavy desk to get to it.
Old 01-31-2021, 10:29 AM
Default Opinions are like belly buttons, everyone has one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages Kahuna View Post
Canon. They have several in that price range. They also do a beautiful job printing photographs.
I have a Canon Multi-function color laser printer. Had it about three years now and still functions perfectly. Makes beautiful pictures. Model MF634. As far as inkjets, I would not recommend an inkjet to my worst enemy. A B&W laser is a better buy at less that $100.
With my laser printer you can print strictly B&W with cheap replacement cartridges from Amazon or in color. I have replaced color carts once. You get what you pay for in life and in printers!
Closed Thread

Tags
printer, $100-200, range, recommendations

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.