Need Windows 10 Geek please

Closed Thread
Old 09-30-2022, 01:55 PM
Default Need Windows 10 Geek please

I have a new ASUS laptop. Because I have always used Livemail I have that for my mail, but it is the smallest size font I have ever seen and I cannot enlarge it. I just read through Microsoft 10 online and find that there is a problem with 10 and LiveMail. Could someone give me help on this site so that I can read my mail without a magnifying glass.

I have always used HP and should have purchased an HP.
Old 09-30-2022, 02:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,670 Times in 5,225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvNH View Post
I have a new ASUS laptop. Because I have always used Livemail I have that for my mail, but it is the smallest size font I have ever seen and I cannot enlarge it. I just read through Microsoft 10 online and find that there is a problem with 10 and LiveMail. Could someone give me help on this site so that I can read my mail without a magnifying glass.

My first suggestion is that, if this is a new laptop, why not upgrade to Windows 11 for free? Also, it may be time to switch your email system to gmail.

ASUS vs HP shouldn't make any difference at all.
Old 09-30-2022, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
My first suggestion is that, if this is a new laptop, why not upgrade to Windows 11 for free? Also, it may be time to switch your email system to gmail.

ASUS vs HP shouldn't make any difference at all.
It may seem stupid, but I really like the layout of LiveMail rather than GMail. I find GMail very messy and LiveMail is very clean looking. Plus I am so used to using it now that I hate to change.
Old 09-30-2022, 03:07 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,722 Times in 665 Posts

I maintain my wife's Windows 10 laptop. I am NOT an expert on windows, I mainly work on Macs. BUT, My wife has poor vision and needs hers enlarged also.

If you right click on your desktop, select display properties, and scroll down to "Scale". That setting will enlarge EVERYTHING, so that may be undesirable but you could try it and see if you can find a setting that works for you.
Old 09-30-2022, 03:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
It may seem stupid, but I really like the layout of LiveMail rather than GMail. I find GMail very messy and LiveMail is very clean looking. Plus I am so used to using it now that I hate to change.
Another suggestion is to subscribe to Microsoft 365. It costs about $70 per year, but you get the MS Office programs to use on any device, and 1TB of cloud storage using OneDrive. I'm pretty cheap, but I think MS 365 is a good deal, if you use a Windows computer. You can try the MS Outlook email system, which is included, and it is what Microsoft recommends for Livemail users. I don't know anything about Livemail, but it is no longer supported and can no longer be downloaded. Sometimes, change is good. Good luck.
Old 09-30-2022, 08:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Another suggestion is to subscribe to Microsoft 365. It costs about $70 per year, but you get the MS Office programs to use on any device, and 1TB of cloud storage using OneDrive. I'm pretty cheap, but I think MS 365 is a good deal, if you use a Windows computer. You can try the MS Outlook email system, which is included, and it is what Microsoft recommends for Livemail users. I don't know anything about Livemail, but it is no longer supported and can no longer be downloaded. Sometimes, change is good. Good luck.
I use LibreOffice, it's superior to MS Office and has much more functionality, and is compatible with Microsoft products (you can even save a LibreOffice document to the windows .doc format, and vice versa). It's also FREE. I use Gmail.

Live Mail hasn't been supported for years.

However, it might not be the Live Mail program that's the problem. It could be his graphics settings. If he sets his graphics to a lower quality it might just fix the problem. He can set them back up to a higher quality when he wants to watch a movie or video on his laptop.

Some laptops have high-quality graphics and the default setting allows the user to view them that way. Since Live Mail stopped being supported before the high quality graphics existed, it might just be a conflict.
Old 09-30-2022, 08:56 PM
Veteran member

There's probably a font size option in Live Mail Settings.

You should also be able to press Ctrl + (control and plus sign keys at the same time) to enlarge everything. Each press should enlarge the view more. Control - decreases the view. However this just increases the browser window scaling. So, it's best to find a font size option inside the live mail settings.

Also, you could try downloading and using the Chrome browser.
Old 10-01-2022, 06:02 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djean1981 View Post
There's probably a font size option in Live Mail Settings.

You should also be able to press Ctrl + (control and plus sign keys at the same time) to enlarge everything. Each press should enlarge the view more. Control - decreases the view. However this just increases the browser window scaling. So, it's best to find a font size option inside the live mail settings.

Also, you could try downloading and using the Chrome browser.
I agree that there is probably a font size setting in Live Mail. That would be the best way to fix the problem. But, it is also possible that the incoming email is using a font type that is not supported in the Live Mail program, in which case, you may not be able to change the font size within the program.
Old 10-01-2022, 09:17 AM

I appreciate all the information and now I am coming to the conclusion that I have to give up my Live Mail and move on with the times. I have a GMail account, but what a pain in the neck to move all my contacts. Oh well, I am retired, I have nothing more exciting to do so I guess that is my job for the day.
Old 10-01-2022, 09:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

Quote:
I appreciate all the information and now I am coming to the conclusion that I have to give up my Live Mail and move on with the times. I have a GMail account, but what a pain in the neck to move all my contacts. Oh well, I am retired, I have nothing more exciting to do so I guess that is my job for the day.
You don't have to move all your contacts. You can use Gmail to forward all your live mail e-mail. I use gmail to send and receive e-mail from my two comcast accounts, my yahoo account, and my actual gmail account.
Old 10-01-2022, 10:02 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
You don't have to move all your contacts. You can use Gmail to forward all your live mail e-mail. I use gmail to send and receive e-mail from my two comcast accounts, my yahoo account, and my actual gmail account.
Yes, just set up an "alternate email address" in your GMail account.
Old 10-01-2022, 10:23 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,961 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:

Windows Live Mail is no longer supported by Microsoft and no longer available to download.Jun 5, 2021
Old 10-01-2022, 10:34 AM

You cannot change the font size in Windows Live Mail or in Windows Mail after you install Internet Explorer 9

From Microsoft. This might help.

Symptoms

When you try to change the font size that is used for reading messages in Windows Live Mail or in Windows Mail, the font size does not change. For example, consider the following scenario:

You have Windows Live Mail 2011 installed, and you have set up access to an email account to view your messages in the Inbox.

You install Windows Internet Explorer 9.

You start Windows Live Mail. Your Inbox contains HTML email messages.

You try to change the font size so that the messages that are displayed can be read more easily. To do this, follow these steps:

On the Windows Live Mail tab, click Options and then click Mail.

On the Read tab, click Fonts.

In the Font size box, select Smallest, and then click OK.

Click OK to close the Options dialog box.

In this scenario, the font size is not changed.

Resolution

To resolve this problem, install this update.

Security update information

To resolve this issue, install the most recent cumulative security update for Internet Explorer. To do this, visit the following Microsoft website:

http://update.microsoft.comFor more technical information about the most recent cumulative security update for Internet Explorer, visit the following Microsoft website:

Microsoft Learn: Build skills that open doors in your career This update was first included in security update 2586448.

For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

2586448 MS11-081: Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer: October 11, 2011

Status

Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
Closed Thread

Tags
mail, livemail, read, problem, give

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.