new computer

Closed Thread
Old 12-25-2019, 07:25 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Don't be afraid to look at ones with chips other than Intel - Ryzen are highly rated and can save you big bucks without adversely affecting performance

And certainly don't get sucked into buying one designed for high-end game playing if all you do is surf the net
Old 12-25-2019, 08:14 AM

Apple MacBookAir
Old 12-25-2019, 08:19 AM
Veteran member

I've converted over a dozen villager's this past to Linux Mint. None have asked to back to Windows. It will make your old PC feel like new.
The way I work is to replace your hard drive with one that has Linux already on it. If you like it you keep it and I erase your old drive and put Linux on it for the next person, if not I put your old drive back in, and your back to the way it was.
What do you have to lose?
PM me and I will come to your house.
Old 12-25-2019, 09:57 AM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

I have a Lenovo X1 with Windows 10. Still use Microsoft Word and Excel nearly every day. I woudnt buy a machine without that "pencil eraser" under the G and H.. have used that on all my machines for over 20 years. It was and is a signature feature of Thinkpads. Many people running Windows 8 blamed their computers, but it was the worst release of all time. BTW, before you throw out your current Lenovo, stop using Explorer or Firefox, and use CHROME as your browser.. Your machine will immediately stop freezing every 2 minutes.

Reference an earlier post, if you mainly just surf, consider a CHROMEBOOK . Takes a bit getting used to, and when you do need to write a note or work a spreadsheet, you'll learn goodle docs and sheets .. Good Luck !
Old 12-25-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
My wife wants a new laptop computer (WinOS). Her Lenovo isn't what it should be. What's the best brands.?TIA
We took are older HP laptop into the Geek
Squad at Best Buy, it was getting very slow
they put in a solid state drive. It is much
fastet now. For storage we use an external
drive. We use their Web Root security program
and can take it in there for occasional maintenance.
Old 12-25-2019, 10:06 AM

Go to the Apple/Windows computer clubs and see what they use and recommend.
Old 12-25-2019, 03:16 PM

In my business I have come to rely on Dell XPS and HP Spectre. Go large with Ram and SSD. Both have quite good stand alone warranties but you can also extend through Square Deal. Back up on cloud or Western Digital on a routine basis (I do both). The new XPS 13 and 15 inch models have unbelievably sharp screens. We were doing ToL Lenovo systems and have had a number of recurring issues causing my switch back to Dell and HP. Happy Holidays!
Old 12-26-2019, 12:11 AM

Here is my opinion, I’ve also worked in the industry for 35 years. I would spend anywhere between $500,000.00 - 1.5M per year on computers, tablets and servers. We’ve tried everything, HP, IBM or Lenovo now and DELL to name a few. The least amount of issues and best support received = DELL by far. If you want a good laptop that will last you 5-10 years, look at the Lattitude line of laptops and get the largest CPU you can afford and load that baby with as much RAM as you can put in it. (I have 32GB in my personal Dell laptop). Now someone touched on something very important to consider, if you are simply looking at a device to answer emails, browse the internet and social media sites like Facebook and Twitter, etc... the best solution could be a tablet. My wife and I LOVE our Apple iPads, very portable, quick and great for those types of things I just mentioned above. I’m actually replying to this on my iPad now. We have a full keyboard on ours and use it instead of the soft keyboard, much better if you are a typist. My wife who was an Executive Assistant used her laptop everyday at work while it was sitting in a docking station with a full external keyboard and mouse. Since she has retired, she rarely uses my PC and loves her iPad. You can get MS Word, Excel on the iPad but these APPS do not have all the same features as a PC version but it’s pretty close and would be quite fine for most users. Evaluate what your wife uses the laptop for now and see if an iPad would be a better fit for her usage. Maybe a new laptop is not at all what she needs depending on what she does with her present system. If you have children and grandchildren living away, using FaceTime (like Skype) on an iPad is easy and very common amongst younger users. Check with your family and kids and if they have iPhones or iPads that might make the decision that much easier. Good luck.
Old 12-26-2019, 09:05 AM
Veteran member

Like you, I've spent 50 years working with many different types of computers from mainframes to micro computers. You gave very good advice, my wife uses an iPad but I started using a Chromebook 10 years ago and find it the perfect PC for my needs. I have spreadsheets and documents and even a few slides (powerpoint type documents). I love that you can't get a virus and everything is automatically backed up to the cloud (15GB free). I do all my banking and surfing on it and feel safe. Updates are automatic and mostly invisible (they are downloaded in the background and when you turn the Chromebook off then on you have the new updates).

I do have a couple of old laptops that were running Windows 7 and didn't want to go to 10, so I found out about Linux and upgraded them to Linux Mint 19.3. I have converted over a dozen people to Linux and none want to go back to Windows. Like the Chromebook you don't have to worry about getting a virus, why? you may ask, it's because the way the operating system is designed. While it's not impossible to get a virus, it is very, very, very rare and mostly aimed at the big corporations.
Old 12-26-2019, 06:00 PM

My wife bought a Dell XPS 13 last year on a reliable recommendation, she loves it. I’m sticking to my IPad Air.
Old 12-26-2019, 06:01 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Is there anybody in the area that will build a computer from scratch or update an old one?

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 12-26-2019, 06:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,414 Times in 5,106 Posts

Quote:
Is there anybody in the area that will build a computer from scratch or update an old one?
You can try Gizmo Depot on 441 in Lady Lake, 352-641-0435, or Refresh Computers in Longwood FL, 407-478-8200.
Old 12-27-2019, 08:23 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Change to old one over to Linux Mint, it's safe and easy to use. I picked it because it is the most Windows-ish. I have a demo PC that I could show you. PM me.
Closed Thread

Tags
computer, lenovo, winos, wife, brands.?tia

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.