New Computer Purchase Guidance Needed

Closed Thread
Old 06-06-2018, 07:56 AM
Gold member

Easiest - Walmart on Wedgewood has a HP Pavilion 570-p023w Desktop Tower for $559.00.
Don't like it, you can take it back. It has Intel Gen 7 Core i5, SSD plus 1TB HDD for file storage.

If you don't need a DVD drive, consider a small ZOTAC ZBOX-MI640 NANO Desktop...just add SSD and RAM.
It has latest Intel 8th Gen Core i5.

Last edited by MorTech; 06-06-2018 at 09:55 AM.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:19 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
What program do you use for photo editing? If you are just re framing the photo or making it a little lighter you don't need a more powerful computer. What size monitor would you like? Do you prefer a touchpad or a mouse? How about speakers? What do you want to spend?

Backing to the cloud is good but you should also back to another hard drive or usb stick too. You can probably do that automatically with a $20 usb stick [they go by many names, thumb drive, dongle.]
I use Photoshop Elements. We have a nice monitor 24" with integrated speakers.

Love my mouse!

Spend.....$600 to $700 is fine.

I also have an external hard drive that I use for backing up, as well as thumb drives.

I do appreciate all responses and guidance!
Old 06-06-2018, 08:57 AM
Platinum member

my son actually makes his own desktop computers. he buys the best components that way. maybe you can find a techy type to do that for you.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:00 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed2BNTV View Post
I use Photoshop Elements. We have a nice monitor 24" with integrated speakers.

Love my mouse!

Spend.....$600 to $700 is fine.

I also have an external hard drive that I use for backing up, as well as thumb drives.

I do appreciate all responses and guidance!
I'm just thinking out loud. If I had $650 to spend I might buy a new laptop that I use as a desktop. Once you turn it on you could close the lid, push it aside and use you favorite keyboard and mouse and the monitor you like. I am using a hp envy laptop 15" screen that is sitting on a coffee table. I have an external keyboard on my lap and got use to using a touch pad but I could use a mouse.

I agree with buying a name brand. Take a look at these desktop brands.
Best Desktop Computer Brands | Popular Desktop Computers
Old 06-06-2018, 09:28 AM
Sage

I believe in the advice and reviews I get form The Wirecutter.

Take a look at this.
The Best Mini Desktop PCs: Reviews by Wirecutter | A New York Times Company

and this
Lenovo ThinkCentre M710 Tiny | 1L Micro Desktop PC for Business | Lenovo US

chat with tech and tell him what you want to do
Old 06-06-2018, 09:51 AM
Veteran member

Well since you need Quicken, you need a PC, if you just used Mint then you could everything else on a Chromebook.
I've been using a Chromebook for about 6 years now. And before you poo poo it, I'll let you know that I was a MIS professional.

Window makes you life harder, keep it simple with a Chromebook.

I'll have workshop table set up for the Computer Club at La Hacienda on the 22nd 1pm ($5 yearly membership fee required), but I'll also be at Eisenhower for workshop on July 23rd 1pm (no fee).

Come by and see how the Chromebook really works.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:05 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
Well since you need Quicken, you need a PC, if you just used Mint then you could everything else on a Chromebook.
I've been using a Chromebook for about 6 years now. And before you poo poo it, I'll let you know that I was a MIS professional.

I'll have workshop table set up for the Computer Club at La Hacienda on the 22nd 1pm ($5 yearly membership fee required), but I'll also be at Eisenhower for workshop on July 23rd 1pm (no fee).

I love my chromebook too. And if I need to provide technical support to someone I steer them towards a chromebook.
I use paint quite a bit. Do you have a good substitute that will work on my chromebook? I like wordpad too. If I cut and paste something with a lot of formatting I like how wordpad strips it away. Do you have a wordpad knockoff i can get to easily.
What I especially like is the price. I bought mine from the scratch and dent department for less then $200 directly from acer. So if I drop it or leave it someplace I'm not out a bunch and you need a password to make it work.

And if you own a monitor, keyboard and mouse you could make it like a desktop too.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:15 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

Actually, Quicken will work on a Linux box. There is a Windows emulator called WINE. Also, there are a few Linux accounting apps that will import quicken files.

I've successfully put Linux on a Chromebook. (Which is LINUX based like Apple.)

I use Clonezilla to clone hard drives.

Last edited by SFSkol; 06-06-2018 at 04:03 PM.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:40 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

If you are in need for a new computer, please check us out Computer Corner!

Computer Corner • Computer Repair, Sales & Service

(352) 460-1155 • 205 W. North Blvd • Leesburg, Fl 34748
Mon-Fri 9am-5pm

Click Here To Visit Our Website!
(Office) 352-460-1155
(Store) 205 W. North Blvd (441), Leesburg, Fl. 34748
(Website) http://www.ComputerCornerFL.com
Old 06-06-2018, 03:59 PM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

Quote:

I was thinking of getting a Chromebook but learned that everything on it goes into the cloud which I am not ready for. Further it requires the user to use their Google Documents instead of letting him use Corel's Wordperfect of which I am a fan. In other words, it does not let the user use many programs that are not Google programs. But I am not all that fond of Windows either.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:48 AM

Buy a Dell
Old 06-07-2018, 09:52 AM
Sage

Since you have iPads, you are familiar with the Apple infrastructure. You might want to consider getting an iMac or a MacBook with an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse. The best deals are refurbished systems from Apple's website. They carry the normal 1 year warranty and typically a 15% discount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed2BNTV View Post
We have Ipads, laptops and now are in need of <another> desktop - the one we have is over 10 years old.

Looking for recommendations on where and what to purchase.

I still have a Dell account from my business, but don't know if that is overkill for what we are looking for.

TIA
Old 06-08-2018, 05:56 AM
Veteran member

From the list of applications that you are using you would be well served by a solid general purpose system. Nothing fancy, nothing expensive. The only item that would drive the price up is if you want and All-in-One with a touch screen. We also didn't discuss if you need a new monitor. There are good package deals. Contrary to other opinions, I don't find that the sales people at Best Buy nor most of the stores that sell PC's have any idea on how to determine the needs of a customer. They are 95% speeds and feeds people. (I should know, I've tried to train a lot of them ).

Here are a few recommendations:

Best Buy
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-pavi...?skuId=6111244

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-pavi...?skuId=6253600
(this one looks VERY good for $399)

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-pavi...?skuId=6203109
(2 disks, with one Solid State)

Costco
Lenovo IdeaCentre 720 Desktop - AMD Ryzen 5 - 1GB AMD Graphics

Hope this helps...
Old 06-08-2018, 06:20 AM

I too, like Dells; you can go onto their site and "custom build" what you want, very often they will have sales. They are also easy to repair. I must admit that this time I got a Toshiba Satellite laptop because a boss had one and I was impressed with it. Reasonable price, never any problems, and I've got 1 terabyte of memory. More than I will ever need!
Old 06-08-2018, 06:39 AM
Veteran member

I agree. Refurbished Mac - Apple ALSO Definitely get a SSD drive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
Since you have iPads, you are familiar with the Apple infrastructure. You might want to consider getting an iMac or a MacBook with an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse. The best deals are refurbished systems from Apple's website. They carry the normal 1 year warranty and typically a 15% discount.
Closed Thread

Tags
purchase, dell, account, business, overkill

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.