New Computer, Windows 10

Closed Thread
Old 10-04-2019, 10:26 PM
Default New Computer, Windows 10

I have a brand new Windows 10 laptop. I was perfectly happy with my 7 but I'm not complaining. It was a gift. However, I would like to know if there are any Windows 10 teachers out there. I am in a tight squeeze for a time sensitive document I must complete and could use some in home help trying to figure out "One Drive" and how to hook up my printer. I'm willing to pay a reasonable sum for assistance. This weekend would be perfect. (Geez, I hate asking for help, really). Please PM me if you are able to help. Thanks kindly.
Old 10-05-2019, 07:11 AM
Veteran member

After 50 years working with all kinds of computers, I had enough of Window$. I switched to Linux Mint (19.1) and will never go back to Window$. I've converted over a dozen people, here in The Villages, to Linux Mint and none of them want to go back.

The way I work is to swap out your hard drive with one I pre installed with Linux Mint. If you like it, you keep it and I take your old drive and put Linux on it for the next person. If, after a week or two, you don't like it, I put your old drive back in, no harm.

You have several options for you documents, you can sign up for Microsoft on line stuff, or use Libre Office (which is free).
Old 10-05-2019, 07:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

I use libre office, OP. It's a free download, and it is 99.8% compatible with all Microsoft Office products (it has a few technical features that MS lack, and some of the more advanced formatting on the database and spreadsheet options are a little different).

You can open your doc and print it out flawlessly with libre office. The address for it is Home | LibreOffice - Free Office Suite - Fun Project - Fantastic People .

Locate the file you need printed. Then open libre office after installing it, and "open file." It'll pop up your file window and you can click til you get to the exact file, or type in the exact name with the windows built-in search engine.

Then select print, and print it out.

To hook up your printer, it'll depend on the printer. If it's a newer model wifi-capable HP all in one, just connect it to the computer or directly to the modem, and the LED screen on the printer itself should walk you through the process. Takes around 4 minutes if you know what you're doing, maybe 15 minutes if you're fresh from the turnip farm
Old 10-05-2019, 07:48 AM

I may be from the turnip family, didn't get the computer (tech stuff) genes. Thanks for all the good advice. I'll have to research and read about LibreOffice and Linux Mint.
Old 10-05-2019, 09:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,418 Times in 5,109 Posts

If you are used to using MS Office, you can always go to the Microsoft website and pay for the Office 365 subscription. It costs about $70 per year, and you won't need to learn a new software program. You don't need to use One Drive at all.

As far as adding a printer, if the printer and laptop are connected to your wifi network, when you try to print something, Windows 10 will prompt you to add the printer automatically. Good luck.
Old 10-05-2019, 12:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseygirl08 View Post
I have a brand new Windows 10 laptop. I was perfectly happy with my 7 but I'm not complaining. It was a gift. However, I would like to know if there are any Windows 10 teachers out there. I am in a tight squeeze for a time sensitive document I must complete and could use some in home help trying to figure out "One Drive" and how to hook up my printer. I'm willing to pay a reasonable sum for assistance. This weekend would be perfect. (Geez, I hate asking for help, really). Please PM me if you are able to help. Thanks kindly.
Given your "tight squeeze" and lack of computer skills, I recommend you call Best Buy and schedule a visit with the Geek Squad.
Old 10-05-2019, 02:56 PM
Sage

If you have installation disks for the software you used in Win7 for your writing, you should be able to install it in Win10. Then either copy your material to a disk or CD or USB stick to transfer it to the new computer.
Old 10-05-2019, 03:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,418 Times in 5,109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeod View Post
If you have installation disks for the software you used in Win7 for your writing, you should be able to install it in Win10. Then either copy your material to a disk or CD or USB stick to transfer it to the new computer.
If you have Microsoft Office or any MS software product, this will probably not work. Their licensing for software does not allow you to use the installation disks on another computer. They have a "fingerprint" of the computer where you originally installed the product.
Old 10-05-2019, 05:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
If you have Microsoft Office or any MS software product, this will probably not work. Their licensing for software does not allow you to use the installation disks on another computer. They have a "fingerprint" of the computer where you originally installed the product.
And they seem to have gone to subscription pricing, so they ding you every year instead of selling you the program one time.

Libre Office has worked for us.
Old 10-06-2019, 08:11 AM
Veteran member

You can still purchase the MS Office 2019 full kit.
Old 10-06-2019, 08:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

Quote:
If your old PC (W7) is still available, can you use it for this time sensitive project? As for the printer, go to your manufacturers website, look for support, you should be able to download the original manuals as well as the updated drivers. If your printer is hooked up wireless (WiFi), there will typically be a WPS button on your router, and on the printer there will be a menu option or button, you still need the driver on your computer. As noted above, you can purchase MS Office, I did this for my wife. One Drive is a CLOUD storage (aka backup) service. It is your option if you want to use this, I do not for security concerns. I still do some consulting and much of this is on confidential projects.
I am completely tied up this weekend, but if you are still in need of help, send me a PM and I should be able to help during the week.
Old 10-06-2019, 08:38 PM
Veteran member

I use Classic shell on my windows 8.1 version windows ,gives the appearance of Windows 7.
Classic Shell - Start menu and other Windows enhancements
Old 10-09-2019, 11:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Depends if you have the key card, I also hated going to 10, Lots of my games won’t work in 10
Old 10-09-2019, 02:28 PM

Thanks to all for advice. I finally just bit the bullet and started watching tutorials on You Tube for MS 10 WordPad. I liked Word so much better. I didn't realize I didn't have to save things in One Drive (the cloud). I don't want any of my stuff up in the clouds!! I do not like change, that's my problem!! But thanks to all of you for tips and instructions. Very helpful.
Old 10-09-2019, 03:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Thanks to all for advice. I finally just bit the bullet and started watching tutorials on You Tube for MS 10 WordPad. I liked Word so much better. I didn't realize I didn't have to save things in One Drive (the cloud). I don't want any of my stuff up in the clouds!! I do not like change, that's my problem!! But thanks to all of you for tips and instructions. Very helpful.
1. You don't have to save things to the cloud, UNLESS you have a Surface laptop.
2. Not sure why you would want to use WordPad, when LibreOffice has SO much more capability and function and behaves SO much more like MS Word than WordPad ever did, or will.
Closed Thread

Tags
windows, printer, hook, figure, kindly

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.