New Desktop...what the HECK?

Closed Thread
Old 03-01-2022, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
Having worked on computers before Bill Gates was born, I've worked on MANY different operating systems. My first PC ran DOS, then, reluctantly, I went to Windows (3.1). When we moved here we had rental property, so we used Quicken (so had to keep Windows 7). A few years back I discovered LINUX, tried it and liked it. When we sold the rental property I converted my 10 year old Dell to LINUX MINT and never looked back. It runs faster than it ever did on Windows. I've converted about a dozen people here in The Villages to LINUX and, so far, they haven't asked to go back to Windows.
Interesting....
Old 03-01-2022, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
Have had dell for years, i have two right now, what model did you buy?

The description could be different models. . .
XPS 8950 with most of the innards beefed up. Ordered early dec but delays resulted in a delivery 2 weeks ago.
Old 03-01-2022, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Ditch Microsoft Office and switch to LibreOffice. It's open source from the folks who brought the world Sun Microsystems and Oracle. It's compatible with MS Office, more robust, fewer bugs, with tons more functionality. They have another software suite called OpenOffice that's similar, with less functionality than LibreOffice (so it's about the same as MS Office).
Thanks OBB for that - will investigate.
Old 03-01-2022, 10:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,901 Times in 914 Posts

XPS 8950 - this is how I would configure your tower:

12th Generation Intel® Core™ i9-12900K (30MB cache, 16 cores, 24 threads, 3.20 to 5.20 GHz Turbo)
laptop
Windows 11 Pro, English
videocard
NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3080, 10 GB GDDR6X, LHR
memory
64 GB, 2 x 32 GB, DDR5, 4400 MHz; up to 128 GB (add'l mem sold separately)
harddrive
1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD (Boot) + 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)
fallbackcolor
750W Platinum Silver Bezel Chassis including optical drive
Liquid cooling

$3,512.99

This is comparable to my laptop 6 years years ago, for a lesser price. My laptop was $4,000 +/- for the equivalent cutting edge back then. Should easily last you 5+ years, which all high end computers should last these days.

BTW, i picked the liquid cooling which keeps the CPU much cooler. However, the liquid can evaporate in 3-4 years, so I had to replace that in the home built tower. however, I have used high end laptops for 15 years, and much prefer taking it with me whenever I want, versus a tower. .

good luck
Old 03-02-2022, 09:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graspher View Post
Thanks OBB for that - will investigate.
One of the nice things about switching from MS Office to Open (or Libre) Office is they share many of the same conventions. I'm a keyboarder rather than a mouse user. I have a mouse, and use it of course. But I was trained on a computer keyboard before mouses were available so that's my strength.

Copy and paste: Highlight, ctrl-v, ctrl-c
Print: ctrl-p, enter
Save: ctrl-s
Bold: highlight, ctrl-b
Clicking "alt" brings down menus.

All of those keyboard commands work the exact same from MS to OO/LO.
Old 03-03-2022, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
XPS 8950 - this is how I would configure your tower:

12th Generation Intel® Core™ i9-12900K (30MB cache, 16 cores, 24 threads, 3.20 to 5.20 GHz Turbo)
laptop
Windows 11 Pro, English
videocard
NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3080, 10 GB GDDR6X, LHR
memory
64 GB, 2 x 32 GB, DDR5, 4400 MHz; up to 128 GB (add'l mem sold separately)
harddrive
1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD (Boot) + 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)
fallbackcolor
750W Platinum Silver Bezel Chassis including optical drive
Liquid cooling

$3,512.99

This is comparable to my laptop 6 years years ago, for a lesser price. My laptop was $4,000 +/- for the equivalent cutting edge back then. Should easily last you 5+ years, which all high end computers should last these days.

BTW, i picked the liquid cooling which keeps the CPU much cooler. However, the liquid can evaporate in 3-4 years, so I had to replace that in the home built tower. however, I have used high end laptops for 15 years, and much prefer taking it with me whenever I want, versus a tower. .

good luck
That's close to what I ended up with....

i7-12700k
64 ram
1tb SSD & 1TB sata
geforce 3060 8gb
I did go with liquid cooled - so I'll be refreshing the antifreeze once a year
Old 03-03-2022, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
One of the nice things about switching from MS Office to Open (or Libre) Office is they share many of the same conventions. I'm a keyboarder rather than a mouse user. I have a mouse, and use it of course. But I was trained on a computer keyboard before mouses were available so that's my strength.

Copy and paste: Highlight, ctrl-v, ctrl-c
Print: ctrl-p, enter
Save: ctrl-s
Bold: highlight, ctrl-b
Clicking "alt" brings down menus.

All of those keyboard commands work the exact same from MS to OO/LO.
I can definitely see the positives...will explore. I appreciate the insights!
Old 03-03-2022, 08:27 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
NOT FIXED - still looking for any suggestions...
You click on the folder.
Computer looks at folder, reads content, indexes all files, then displays the indexed list for your selection.
All that takes time.
Probably large files, and a large number of them. Leave the folder active, and the next time you display it, it likely will work much quicker.

Make sure your BIOS, and your hardware drivers are up to date. Write down the express service service code and service tag numbers, go to Dell’s website, select support, enter the numbers, follow the prompts, download the recommended files, and execute.
Old 03-04-2022, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nn0wheremann View Post
You click on the folder.
Computer looks at folder, reads content, indexes all files, then displays the indexed list for your selection.
All that takes time.
Probably large files, and a large number of them. Leave the folder active, and the next time you display it, it likely will work much quicker.

Make sure your BIOS, and your hardware drivers are up to date. Write down the express service service code and service tag numbers, go to Dell’s website, select support, enter the numbers, follow the prompts, download the recommended files, and execute.
I will do that - much appreciated!
Old 03-05-2022, 06:06 PM

My first computer program was in 1979 with APL (who remembers THAT language?) with a timesharing service and Anderson-Jacobsen acoustic couplers to connect...
Old 03-05-2022, 06:20 PM
Platinum member

Quote:

Dell - Windows 11 - 1TB optical - 64 ram - i7 12700K

I don't even know how to explain the issue - short vid of problem linked below.

Basically, when I click on a folder (music in this case) the list of songs appear....and then they one by one disappear until all are gone then they reappear and are able to be clicked on. This takes about 20 seconds for 30 files - should only take a split second!!!

Imagine my shock and horror given this unit is only days old (meaning I haven't loaded the drive with slow down garbage yet) and probably the fastest processor in the world (that's what I told the wife to justify the purchase - please don't bust my bubble).

Yes, I do have free dell help but I'm trying to avoid the long phone time. Plus deep down I know it has to be something simple. Head hung in shame, computers are not part of my wheelhouse.

What tweak to do I need to make or did I just goof really bad and should of bagged a Lenovo?

Dropbox - IMG_1036.MOV - Simplify your life

No disrespect to you, but I never click on any links posted on this page - having said that, is your music on iTunes? If so, just add your Apple account and pin the icon to your desktop. Whenever you wanna play your music, just click on the apple icon.

I am using Windows 10, and have no intention of ever moving to 11.
Old 03-06-2022, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralway View Post
No disrespect to you, but I never click on any links posted on this page - having said that, is your music on iTunes? If so, just add your Apple account and pin the icon to your desktop. Whenever you wanna play your music, just click on the apple icon.

Understand completely. I never click either...until two conditions are met. If an established/known to me member originated the link - my guard goes down 50%. If others in the thread have referenced the link - with no warning of contamination - my guard turns off and link turns on.

It was on itunes. But long story short - I lost my established itunes library information, links, ratings, playlists, etc but of course not the songs themselves. That happened on my windows 8 laptop in november.

I moved to a windows 11 desktop a couple of weeks ago. Am about to rebuild - from scratch - my itunes library.

I rarely ever listen to music in my office off the computer - 99% via iphone.

I'm not a fan of itunes. Folks here have suggested alternatives to itunes - and I researched alternatives....but was unable to find a management program that organized/integrated with iphone as well as iTunes does. So, I'm going back to itunes.

I don't stream music. I obtain my own music files and build lists with those.

I haven't synced my iphone since last november cause my playlists remained on the phone and I didn't want to take a chance of losing that cache of music during a sync session....cause, like so many of us - I need my music to get me through the day!!!!
Old 03-06-2022, 07:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,687 Times in 5,234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralway View Post

If your Windows 10 computer is eligible for a Windows 11 upgrade, I would recommend doing it. I have been using it for 5 months on my desktop and laptop and have had no issues. You can use widgets and install apps from the Amazon store. I think it also allows better interface with your cell phone, if you want to do that. The desktop looks and works almost exactly like Windows 10.
Closed Thread

Tags
dell, told, slow, free, garbage

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.