New Phone SCAM and Solutions from Microsoft

New Phone SCAM and Solutions from Microsoft

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 09:13 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I agree. But, if the call is being received through a Verizon system, Verizon has the ability to know where the call is coming from. They have the technology. If their technology provides inaccurate information to their customer on caller ID, then the FCC should fine them or put them out of business. I believe the phone providers are complicit with the scammers. The taxpayers are paying the FCC to regulate phone providers like Verizon, AT&T, and others. Why aren't they doing their job?
Your understanding of "regulating" is different from the reality of regulation. Anyone can spoof a phone number. ANYONE. It isn't complicated. Technology cannot keep up with the scams, the scammers are always one step ahead. That's their job. To find ways of getting around, through, over, under, and past security. They do it better than anyone else does, which is why they make so much money doing it.

Your job, as a customer, is to be vigilant about your own security. I get calls from fake-microsoft on occasion. If I happen to notice the caller ID on my phone I just don't pick up at all and let it go to voice mail. If I pick up because I prefer not to have the phone ringing, I know what to listen for. If you get that "blurp" sound, don't wait for someone to say anything. Just hang up. It's a bot-call. If you hear background chatter and someone with a foreign accent says anything at all, just hang up. It's a scam of one sort or another. You don't even need to wait to find out what kind of scam it is.

If it seems like it might be legit, ask them for a call-back number and name. Tell them you're in the middle of something and you'll call them right back. If they hang up, you know you just avoided being scammed. If they give you a call back number - don't call it. Instead, go to the internet, google the company's name. Go to their ACTUAL website and seek out the phone number on that website. Call that number, and ask if they called you. This is especially important if the call came from someone claiming to be from your bank.

If they say they're calling about your credit card account - just hang up. It's a fraud.

You can also register with NOMOROBO.com - which minimizes the number of bot-calls you get.

Old 03-11-2019, 09:22 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I don't know how to spoof a phone number. How do you do it?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2019, 09:28 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
I don't know how to spoof a phone number. How do you do it?
Don't know how to google either?

Caller ID Spoofing 101: The Definitive Guide to Call & Text Spoofing
Old 03-11-2019, 09:40 PM
Soaring Eagle member

The spoofing 101 site and link to a spoofing app doesn't work. It says "item not found". But, can't the phone providers block the spoofing? It is also illegal to spoof for harmful purposes.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 03-11-2019 at 09:46 PM.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:21 AM
Gold member

Quote:
The spoofing 101 site and link to a spoofing app doesn't work. It says "item not found". But, can't the phone providers block the spoofing? It is also illegal to spoof for harmful purposes.
Yes, it's illegal to spoof. Not "for harming purposes." It's illegal to spoof, period. That's one of the things that make this issue a scam. Because people are doing things that are illegal.

Spoofing is also not what you think it is. I'm not doing your homework. You can look this stuff up.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Yes, it's illegal to spoof. Not "for harming purposes." It's illegal to spoof, period. That's one of the things that make this issue a scam. Because people are doing things that are illegal.

Spoofing is also not what you think it is. I'm not doing your homework. You can look this stuff up.
If your definition of spoofing is the caller id number/name is not the actual number the call is originating from your statement in incorrect. There are legitimate and useful business reasons for the caller id to be different from the actual number being used to originate.

One example is telephone calling/answering services.

Another is a company that does business under two or more names and uses its' own central communications operation.

The global telecommunications system is designed to provide this capability.

You can look this stuff up.....

Don

Western PA, Marietta GA, finally TV....
Closed Thread

Tags
microsoft, phone, number, call, support