No Software Help with My Warranty

Closed Thread
Old 03-17-2022, 03:02 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,131 Times in 811 Posts
Default No Software Help with My Warranty

I have a warranty on my HP Laptop.
What I don't understand is why software problems aren't covered with their warranty.

Hp says it will help with solving software problems but wants to charge, and then
there's no guarantee it will work when paying up front.

When there is a problem with the software, have you ever tried to call Microsoft for help?
Good Luck with that.

Your Thoughts Please
Old 03-17-2022, 03:10 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Hp has built in diagnostic for both windows and the hardware. Is this a third party software issue?
Old 03-17-2022, 03:15 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
What I don't understand is why software problems aren't covered with their warranty.

Hp says it will help with solving software problems but wants to charge, and then

When there is a problem with the software, have you ever tried to call Microsoft for help?
Good Luck with that.

Your Thoughts Please
Because it's not hardware nor anything that they built or wrote.
Old 03-17-2022, 03:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,382 Times in 2,061 Posts

You don't mention what type of software is giving you problems.

HP builds and sells a computer. The computer is designed to run a BIOS which makes the computer work at all, the computer with its BIOS enables an Operating System (OS) such as Windows to run, and Windows enables other applications such as Microsoft Word to run. But bottom line, HP built the computer and provided the BIOS but all the rest are add-ons.

HP would be expected to provide support for the part it created but to get support for the software you would need to talk to whoever created the software.

Thinking about a house, the builder creates the house and the walls and installs the electrical lines and the outlets. During the warranty period you would expect the builder to correct problems with the electrical system in your house. The builder might also provide a stove, a refrigerator, and a washer and dryer as extras to sell the house. The builder *might* help you fix a problem with the refrigerator that occurred immediately after purchasing the home but normally you would need to contact the manufacturer for that.

You wouldn't expect the builder who installed the electrical outlets to provide free service for whatever you plugged into the outlets and you wouldn't expect the builder of the computer to provide free service for whatever software you are trying to run on the computer.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 03-17-2022, 03:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,617 Times in 5,196 Posts

The reason is that more than 95 percent of software problems are caused by user error or inexperience. So, why should HP and Microsoft build in an extra cost for technical support when most people can solve their issues on their own, or by paying for technical support? Microsoft sells billions of copies of their Windows operating system. Can you imagine how much money they would need to spend to provide free technical support in every language for the billions of users around the world? A product warranty is to correct a defective product, not to teach a user how to use the product.
Old 03-17-2022, 05:41 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,961 Times in 752 Posts

Contact the software application provider or maybe uninstall and reinstall application
Old 03-17-2022, 05:54 PM
Platinum member

there are many public forums online where folks discuss various software and hardware issues they have encountered - chances are you are not the only one who has encountered such an issue. I would google HP software issues and see what forums are available for asking such a question. I know there are excellent Apple iphone and ipad forums, I am sure there are several HP forums as well. I have found these forums frequented by some really smart and helpful folks.
Old 03-17-2022, 08:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,127 Times in 2,240 Posts

OP, if this was due to the upgrade of Windows 10 to Windows 11, there were many warnings about possible problems. You might be able to uninstall W11 and get back to W10, but i have no experience with this.
If you can provide some additional details, there are several very talented people that will be able to help, I believe all of them charge for their service, but I have seen many positive reviews.
Old 03-18-2022, 05:54 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post

Good Luck with that.

Your Thoughts Please
so now that everyone tried to play software support not even knowing why you said what you said.

HP nor any other company is going to warrant any software that they did not supply/make on that laptop. It is NOT their responsibility to do that. It IS YOUR responsibility to find software support for each piece of software on that computer, or at least enough knowledge to troubleshoot it if you do not.

That is exactly how it works, no exceptions. Also at this time, do not say "what if their hardware is causing the software problem" that does NOT exist ever. I can guarantee that each computer manufacturer's support department are experts at deflection on whatever size computer anyone may be using.

Been there done that for 44 years. good luck
Old 03-18-2022, 06:50 AM
Default Computer problem

You should have mentioned what software is giving you a problem. Take it to Best Buy. They will give you an estimate on fixing it.
Old 03-18-2022, 07:13 AM
Veteran member

I converted to Linux Mint years ago (from Windows 7) and will never go back. I don't use any Windows only programs (but there are thousands of Linux programs that work like the Windows versions, with a little work).
Old 03-18-2022, 08:07 AM

There is a store located on Highway 441 in Lady Lake -- MMD Computer Center. They fix computers, handle software issues, etc. Excellent customer service - very knowledgable.
Old 03-18-2022, 09:32 AM

So you want them to warranty anything you put on your computer?? Really?
Old 03-18-2022, 09:33 AM
Default No Software Help with MY Warranty

Thank you for your reply it much better to understand now ...
Old 03-18-2022, 09:34 AM
Veteran member

In addition to all of the good advice received, I’ll give you one more piece of advice….

DO NOT do the support over the phone where you will be giving someone control of your computer to someone that is most likely overseas…..

DO NOT give your credit card info over the phone to any “support” service….. you’ll regret it if you do.

Get your issue resolved locally as there are a number of computer repair services at your disposal…..
Closed Thread

Tags
software, warranty, problems, paying, front

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.