"Not connected to a network" HELP!!

Closed Thread
Old 03-16-2015, 05:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default "Not connected to a network" HELP!!

Get that pop-up, requesting to check plugs, make-sure airplane mode is off?, and offering a fix box, click box, and back on internet. Happens 10 times a day, Ugh! Really annoying!....What can I do to make this GO AWAY!....I think little bugs travel in the night and land on my laptop, Ha!. Any suggestions out there computer whiz kids????
Old 03-16-2015, 05:42 PM
Sage

What is your operating system? windows 7, 8 ?
Are you running any antivirus software? norton. windows defender, mcafee
Can you back up your work to a usb stick?

I think you may need to reinstall your operating system. I suspect malware. Sooner or later you will do a fresh install anyway.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:24 PM

If you are on comcast it might be trying to log on to their new hotspot concept xfinitywifi.Check wireless connections and set it to your home network.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:43 PM
Sage
Default thanks

I'm on Comcast, this has been going on now for at least a couple of weeks, when I request fix, response is connection problem corrected but then 20 minutes later, I have to reconnect...Frustrating to say the least. How do you want me to check wireless connections? Router and modem we purchased, not Comcast. I've unplugged and then plugged in again, no change...Has my computer ignorance been exposed now?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberschaf View Post
If you are on comcast it might be trying to log on to their new hotspot concept xfinitywifi.Check wireless connections and set it to your home network.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:45 PM
Sage
Default thanks tomwed

Windows 7
Malware
Yes to usb stick
reinstall would require powers higher than my computer knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
What is your operating system? windows 7, 8 ?
Are you running any antivirus software? norton. windows defender, mcafee
Can you back up your work to a usb stick?

I think you may need to reinstall your operating system. I suspect malware. Sooner or later you will do a fresh install anyway.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:54 PM

Could be malware.Download Malwarebytes from this link: https://www.malwarebytes.org/
and run a scan.Get the free version.

Last edited by Uberschaf; 03-16-2015 at 06:55 PM. Reason: add a sentence
Old 03-16-2015, 06:58 PM
Sage
Default thanks Uberschaf

I have this download....Came back clean. Also did a Restore for 2/21/15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberschaf View Post
Could be malware.Download Malwarebytes from this link: https://www.malwarebytes.org/
and run a scan.Get the free version.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
Windows 7https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGXbMyFaROw
Malware
Yes to usb stick
reinstall would require powers higher than my computer knowledge
If everything is backed up to a USB stick you can try to fix it yourself.
What is the make and model of your laptop?
Do you have all the software that came with it?

Do you know what a restore point is?
You might have one.
Watch this click here
Old 03-16-2015, 07:27 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Router and modem we purchased, not Comcast. I've unplugged and then plugged in again, no change..
Are you leaving them unplugged for at least 20 - 30 seconds? To me, it seems more like a Router or Modem problem than possible malware.
Suffering from TV envy
Old 03-16-2015, 07:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,118 Times in 2,237 Posts

Well, here is my experience.
First I noticed that I was paying for a 105 mb download, and I was not getting anywhere near that. Complained to Comcast. Tech came out, found out signals levels way out of line, signal too HIGH, made a temporary fix, then determined my modem was BAD. Replaced modem, now have rated speed (hardwired connection only, wireless is slower), phones connect reliably and same for computers.
And since the modem was bad NO COST to me.

We had major problems prior with computers and especially cell phones reconnecting to home network, constantly had to reboot/reset the modem, at least once per week. Then checked the connection speed.

I hope this helps
Old 03-17-2015, 03:03 AM
Sage
Default Thanks again tomwed

make of laptop - Acer Aspire, yes to software ?...restore point, after restore I have not noticed my daily message, hope this was the answer.

Quote:
If everything is backed up to a USB stick you can try to fix it yourself.
What is the make and model of your laptop?
Do you have all the software that came with it?

Do you know what a restore point is?
You might have one.
Watch this click here
Old 03-17-2015, 07:10 AM
Sage

Quote:
make of laptop - Acer Aspire, yes to software ?...restore point, after restore I have not noticed my daily message, hope this was the answer.
A restore point is a snapshot of all the settings from an earlier time when the computer was working fine before something new was installed deliberately by the owner or maliciously by someone else.

This also means that the newest good updates from microsoft or Acer are also missing. So do a windows update. I also think your machine will automatically check with acer and microsoft for updates.

But I would avoid java updates or anything else without googling it. I like chrome better than IE internet explorer.

Here's a good tip.
Do you know if you can log into your computer as a guest? When you go to the library and log in you are a guest. You can't install software without a password. Malware is software and it can't install either without a password.

When you log in as an administrator or if your account has administrator rights, than you have already granted permission for you and others to install good and bad software.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:48 AM
Sage
Default TOTV'rs are very fortunate

to be able to tap the knowledge of members like you. Thank you, hope all is well with my little laptop...Thanks again

Quote:
A restore point is a snapshot of all the settings from an earlier time when the computer was working fine before something new was installed deliberately by the owner or maliciously by someone else.

This also means that the newest good updates from microsoft or Acer are also missing. So do a windows update. I also think your machine will automatically check with acer and microsoft for updates.

But I would avoid java updates or anything else without googling it. I like chrome better than IE internet explorer.

Here's a good tip.
Do you know if you can log into your computer as a guest? When you go to the library and log in you are a guest. You can't install software without a password. Malware is software and it can't install either without a password.

When you log in as an administrator or if your account has administrator rights, than you have already granted permission for you and others to install good and bad software.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.