One laptop in house won't hook up to new modem

Closed Thread
Old 01-31-2015, 06:38 AM
Default One laptop in house won't hook up to new modem

We recently purchased a new modem/router combination and all the phones, tablets will hook up wirelessly to the new modem/router. One computer will not hook up wirelessly. I have tried many fixes, but nothing works.

This laptop was working just fine with the old modem, but we were finding the download speeds slow, and we had received a letter from Comcast saying they recommend we upgrade to a DocSis 3.0 from our current modem. It is faster and we stream better, but I can no longer hook up this computer. (The exact same issue happpened in our home up north when I bought a newer modem/router and I couldn't resolve it - I took it to the computer store and he hooked up right away and of course, I felt very stupid...... also while travelling I hooked up to my son's internet no problem)

I am suspecting it might have something to do with the router/modem combination?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thank you in advance.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:40 AM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

Make sure your wireless is on- on your laptop. Delete any other connections that may still show up. Go to control panel, internet options, connections and set up. If you follow that and it won't connect, it will trouble shoot for you. Those are some suggestions. Also look at how your privacy and security is set, put it at medium.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:19 AM

Hello thank you for your response. I tried all you said and still no luck - it is reading my router as unidentified network - says I am hooked up to it but will not let me see internet on wireless only - says local only

All the while saying identifying

Identifying..........(Zoomd338) Access: Local Only -

When you a windows network Diagnostics it says there is possibly a problem with a Broadband Modem or Network router might be preventing an internet connection. I am thinking there is a box unchecked or checked or numbers changed in a gateway, but for the life of me cannot figure out what to do. I go online and I am not the only person having this problem, but I haven't found a fix that works for me.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:48 AM

Did you try to reboot the modem.Make sure it doesn't have battery backup and unplug for 30 sec.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:06 PM
Sage

Send me the make model and OS of the laptop and the modem/router. In the meantime do a windows update [assuming it's windows].
I'll try looking for a solution.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:39 AM

Thanks to those posting. Yes I have rebooted actually several times. Will look into rebooting windows. Not sure how to do that, but will go online and find out. I have refreshed, uninstalled and reinstalled the adapters no luck. Will send Tomwed my model and os of the laptop and modem/router and you can see if you have more luck than I have.

Thanks.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:27 AM
Eternal Member

Have you tried signing into the modem and looking at the logs in the troubleshooting section to see if it might show you the error you are getting?

Also, have you turned off a couple of other wireless devices to see if the problem PC will connect? I ask this one because on one of my routers there was a counter to limit the number of devices on a router for security purposes.

Z

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:11 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Another thought... Some routers have a maximum number of connections allowed. Sometimes, that number is small, like 4 or 5 devices. In my own home, I have a lot devices connected to the network; iPhones, iPads, DirecTV, etc., etc, etc....

If you can log into your router, look for the parameter that limits the number of connections and increase that to a higher number.

Just another avenue to explore....
Old 02-01-2015, 08:29 AM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbird123 View Post
We recently purchased a new modem/router combination and all the phones, tablets will hook up wirelessly to the new modem/router. One computer will not hook up wirelessly. I have tried many fixes, but nothing works.

This laptop was working just fine with the old modem, but we were finding the download speeds slow, and we had received a letter from Comcast saying they recommend we upgrade to a DocSis 3.0 from our current modem. It is faster and we stream better, but I can no longer hook up this computer. (The exact same issue happpened in our home up north when I bought a newer modem/router and I couldn't resolve it - I took it to the computer store and he hooked up right away and of course, I felt very stupid...... also while travelling I hooked up to my son's internet no problem)

I am suspecting it might have something to do with the router/modem combination?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

12 Tips for Troubleshooting Your Internet Connection - Slideshow from PCMag.com

Here's a link about how to troubleshoot your router. Not sure if any of these solutions apply, but worth taking a look. Good luck. I feel for you. It can be so frustrating.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:06 AM

Since it is a recurring issue, I'd call in the computer whiz for $25, (what my guy charged), get him to show you and write all the steps down ... Then to be sure, go through them while he is there to get your hour's worth.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:11 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap2415 View Post
Since it is a recurring issue, I'd call in the computer whiz for $25, (what my guy charged), get him to show you and write all the steps down ... Then to be sure, go through them while he is there to get your hour's worth.
What is the Computer Whiz's phone number?
Old 02-01-2015, 02:40 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap2415 View Post
And please let us know what he found and what he did to fix it.

Z

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 02-01-2015, 03:42 PM

You might want to take your laptop over to a friends house or to a place with public WiFi, like Starbucks, just to see if the problem is on the laptop's end or in the house.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphy View Post
You might want to take your laptop over to a friends house or to a place with public WiFi, like Starbucks, just to see if the problem is on the laptop's end or in the house.
That's a great idea. Go to the library if you can't find any other place.
If it works there then the problem is not the laptop.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:20 PM
Platinum member

Have you tried turning wifi connection off on all devices but this computer? I think this would indicate whether or not your router is being overloaded.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.