Open Office

Closed Thread
Old 09-21-2015, 04:36 PM
Default Open Office

Does anybody use OpenOffice, the public domain software that does just about everything Microsoft Office does?

I have a new Windows 10 computer and I installed the latest release, 4.1.1. It can find a .doc file or a .xls file and open it. However, I cannot associate the file extension with OpenOffice. Clicking on the .doc file does not start OpenOffice and I've tried just about everything using the Control Panel to create the file associations, but no luck.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:16 PM
Sage
Smile

Try going to the windows 10 desktop and just start typing the words Open Office. See if it shows up on the right hand side as a program.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:52 PM
Veteran member

uninstall program and then re-install it sometimes when downloading a program it is not complete
Old 09-21-2015, 07:31 PM

Try right clicking on a .doc file and select "Open With". Be sure "always use the selected program to open this kind of file" is checked. This should associate the file type with program.

I'm not using OpenOffice. I use LibreOffice which branched from OpenOffice during a disagreement with Oracle on the future of the project. Depending on what you read LibreOffice is now better supported. I like the program. I had no problem opening .doc files by clicking on one and having LibreOffice open. PM me if you want to chat or need more info.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:14 PM

Thanks for the quick answers.

I uninstalled OpenOffice and downloaded LibreOffice. It seems to be working fine, including file associations.

This forum is really helpful.

Bob
Closed Thread

Tags
file, openoffice, .doc, open, office, start, extension, clicking, control, associations, luck, suggestions, create, panel, associate, microsoft, software, domain, public, windows, find, .xls, 4.1.1, release, computer

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.