PC-to-Mac guru needed

Closed Thread
Old 09-17-2007, 08:53 PM
Send a message via AIM to JRietz Send a message via Skype™ to JRietz
Default Re: PC-to-Mac guru needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dklassen
Isn't VMware $190?
No, No, No.... same price as Parallels - $80 list. On the front page of http://www.macintouch.com/ you can get VMware for $40.49 with a rebate through Amazon (clicking on that link supports MacInTouch).

Jim
Johnston Atoll AFB
Lady Lake
Town of Lady Lake Commissioner (Ward 5)
Old 09-17-2007, 09:00 PM
Gold member

Ah. I have Parallels running on my Mac Mini. So far it's been flawless including the transporter. I was thinking about trying something else just for the fun of it.

D.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dklassen
...I was thinking about trying something else just for the fun of it.
You can try VMware Fusion for 30 days!

Jim
Johnston Atoll AFB
Lady Lake
Old 10-09-2007, 11:46 AM

;D
I',ve been running my Mac PoweBbook G4 laptop over a year now.

Before that, it was PCs since Commadore, Trash 80, and Singer?

That was then....Adaware, Norton, defrag, yadda yadda.

NOW, none of that. I just get on, and do my "stuff".

What more can I say?

Tony

Old 11-20-2007, 06:22 AM
Platinum member

Most Mac users don't even run virus protection.

Skip
Old 11-28-2007, 08:50 PM

I don't.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts
Default I Had To Chuckle Last Night...

...at the Villages Mac User Group (VMUG) meeting. Jack Kraft, who is the President of both the VMUG as well as the PC-oriented Villages Computer Club, made an observation regarding the question-and-answer parts of the meetings.

Jack observed that at the Mac User Group meeting all the member's questions and problems can be resolved in about five minutes. He observed that was a stark contrast to the meeting of the PC users at the Villages Computer Club. He explained that it's not uncommon to consume an hour or so in answering questions or resolving problems members are having with their PC's and Microsoft operating systems.

That about says it all, doesn't it?
Old 11-29-2007, 06:19 PM
Veteran member

RE: MAC VS PC

I hear what your saying, however take into consideration that most Mac users have been introduced to Mac's on a different level. Most folks met the Mac system via their work environment or school etc. This environment gave them the opportunity to receive training in the early stages of computers. Also remember the PC'rs bought their computers at Big Box stores and went into it blind and with very little help. Although I agree the Mac system is great, it suffers from many fewer attacks from hackers due to the fact that its not the most populated system. The poor masses of PC users have to suffer because their the majority (the hackers want the most bang for their buck).
Mr Kahuna, don't give me that snob (kidding) thing about Mac users VS PC users, if it weren't for Mr Gates and Microsoft, where would the average individual be in the computer world today. Long live them both, competion is a wonderfull thing because you and I are the winners.
Handie :joke:
Old 11-29-2007, 07:10 PM
Dancing Thyme

Wow! How opportune is this post!!!

I'm heading right now to my Apple store to look at a MAC as my next new computer and as usual, all you guys on TOTV have given me so much information that I'll feel like an expert. About 15 years ago, I took both PC and MAC classes to see which one I would want and actually preferred the MAC (can't remember now all the details, but I did like MAC much better). Anyway, in business it was impossible to use MAC and I was forced into PC's because of our IM departments who would not support the MAC users and all the programs the company instituted were all PC based. Also, because of Mr. Gates, I was forced to move from WordPerfect to Word, which made me extremely angry and I still to this day don't understand how he won that little battle with corporate America.

Although now with the Intel based MAC's, I think its very well worth the try to go back to what I want. And, since I'm out of corporate America, I'm moving to MAC.

Sorry, Handie, but I hate being controlled by Mr. Gates and his un-friendly user programs.

Will let you know if I've changed my mind after meeting with the Apple people.

Thanks for the info everyone. Kathie

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 11-29-2007, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by handieman
...take into consideration that most Mac users have been introduced to Mac's on a different level. Most folks met the Mac system via their work environment or school etc.
Work? Unlikely. Microsoft has had a stronghold at work for most of the time personal computers have been in existence.

Quote:
Also remember the PC'rs bought their computers at Big Box stores and went into it blind and with very little help.
Wrong. The reason "PC'rs" got PCs was to be compatible with their Work systems, where they had received professional training (frequently...). That lame excuse has been drilled in the the minds of people for years, but they are starting to see the light.

Quote:
Although I agree the Mac system is great, it suffers from many fewer attacks from hackers due to the fact that its not the most populated system. The poor masses of PC users have to suffer because their the majority (the hackers want the most bang for their buck).
Actually, it was/is the easier to hack.

Quote:
... if it weren't for Mr Gates and Microsoft, where would the average individual be in the computer world today.
If it wasn't for Apple leasing their operating system to Microsoft for 1 year, you would still be using DOS. If IBM hadn't made the wrong deal of the year, MS would be... well, it probably just wouldn't be.

Quote:
.Long live them both, competion is a wonderfull thing because you and I are the winners.
I've been a winner for 20 years now... You could start today!

Jim
Johnston Atoll AFB
Lady Lake
Old 11-29-2007, 08:01 PM
Dancing Thyme

Although I certainly don't pretend to understand the more technical comments, I do know, and I'm sure you all have figured it out, that I dislike anyone like Mr. Gates having such a monopoly on what we can or can't use , especially to run out businesses.

Now, get me started on SAP, and you'll really hear me scream

Kathie

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

Old 11-30-2007, 01:36 AM
Dancing Thyme

Update from this morning's post. I went to the Apple store near my house and met 2 friends who are very experienced Mac users. We looked over the MacBook laptop for me and I fell in LOVE !!! The price is now right, the ergonomics perfect and size of screen and weight of computer is perfect. and it looks cute!!! (typical girly statement)

The store is so accommodating. They will transfer all my PC stuff onto my new Mac free of charge. They will also give one on one service for a small fee for one year, with any help you need on your Mac. I registered for my first free class for this Saturday, where I will learn the basics, only because I feel I need it. You also get a new printer included in the total price. I guess Sunday morning, I'll be back there to buy my first Mac, and I know I won't be disappointed.

Watch out Mr. Gates, if this service level keeps up, you could be in a sorry state (not really, I just feel good saying that.)

Old 12-16-2007, 05:43 PM

The closest Mac store I can find is in Orlando.
Am I missing something?
Is there one closer?

Tony... ???
Old 12-16-2007, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toncat
The closest Mac store I can find is in Orlando.
Am I missing something?
Is there one nearer?
Not that I'm aware of. But the good thing is there are 2 Apple stores within a few miles.

Jim
Johnston Atoll AFB
Lady Lake
Old 12-17-2007, 01:10 AM
Gold member

We have had Macs since the first personal computer made its appearance in our home in 1984. Granted things have changed considerably over the years, but a friend and fellow Mac enthusiast was once interviewed about his preference, and he pointed out that a particular instruction (might have been installation, but can't remember...) for the PC took three columns of print, while that for the Mac was a single paragraph.

Remember when Microsoft was creating demand with tons of hype about its (then) forthcoming 'Wondows 95'? (Yes, this is quite a few years ago.) When it finally came out, we Macheads looked at it and said, 'Ho hum, it looks like Mac 89.' And it did! At that time all Windows was was an interface between DOS inside the machine and the user outside that made it LOOK like a Mac but certainly not PERFORM like a Mac!

Apple did not market well, and Windows took over the business world, and to this day there is software that is not available for the limited (but again growing) Mac market. But there is no doubt that Macs then and Macs now are INFINITELY MORE STABLE AND NOT SUBJECT TO CRASHES the way Windows was then and still is now, so I've been told....

Here is an interesting link for free, open-source Mac software; it's well worth checking:

http://www.opensourcemac.org/
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.