Phone

Closed Thread
Old 06-29-2018, 07:59 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Phone

Just ordered a new Samsung Galaxy S7. Any clues, good or bad?

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 06-29-2018, 08:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,591 Times in 5,188 Posts

I have a Galaxy S8. Great phone. I don't understand why people buy Iphones. Samsungs are better and cheaper, and they have a removable micro SD card slot.
Old 06-30-2018, 02:42 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I have a Galaxy S8. Great phone. I don't understand why people buy Iphones. Samsungs are better and cheaper, and they have a removable micro SD card slot.
Do you have the charger where you don't have to plug the phone into, I guess it's wireless charging. Wonder what it costs?

Old 06-30-2018, 03:31 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
Do you have the charger where you don't have to plug the phone into, I guess it's wireless charging. Wonder what it costs?
I have several of them. They are only about 12 dollars or so on Amazon, and a little more expensive at Best Buy.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 06-30-2018 at 03:39 AM.
Old 06-30-2018, 05:58 AM
Sage

If you have never owned an iPhone then I know why you don't understand why people buy them. If you have previously owned an iPhone then I assume your interest is in the lowest cost possible. It is the little things that make the iPhone the best phone available. For example, completely transparent backups to iCloud and seamless integration with other Apple products. While they are not the lowest cost, you do get what you pay for. As always, opinions vary.

Quote:
Old 06-30-2018, 06:14 AM
Sage

Both Apple and Samsung have cloud backup systems. However, I have found that most non-technical people have no clue how they work or how to access and use them. I often try to help someone and find out that they don't even know their password or that they even have a cloud backup. However, they do understand how to use a portable hard storage device, such as a thumb drive or an SD card. I think the computer industry needs to do a better job of educating users how to use cloud systems.
Old 06-30-2018, 06:17 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Just ordered a new Samsung Galaxy S7. Any clues, good or bad?

aren't you suppose to get the review before you ordered it
Old 06-30-2018, 07:07 AM
Sage

If they can't figure out cloud storage then they probably can't figure out card storage on their phone. I have never had a need for card storage on my phone. It simply is not an issue. Apple offers classes on how to get the most out of your phone. The information is out there. The issue is not the industry. People just need to take advantage of what is available and in the case of Apple products it is well advertised. What I find ironic is that iPhones, in general, seem to be the choice of the most technically savvy people I know but they are the easiest to use. Before I retired from a computer manufacturer, almost everyone I worked with in the company had an iPhone. Android phones simply did not have a footprint.

Quote:
Both Apple and Samsung have cloud backup systems. However, I have found that most non-technical people have no clue how they work or how to access and use them. I often try to help someone and find out that they don't even know their password or that they even have a cloud backup. However, they do understand how to use a portable hard storage device, such as a thumb drive or an SD card. I think the computer industry needs to do a better job of educating users how to use cloud systems.
Old 06-30-2018, 07:14 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ureout View Post
Normalcy was not always my strong suit,,,,

Old 06-30-2018, 07:32 AM
Veteran member

The computer club in The Villages have talks on phones and workshops. Google Connected Computer Club and go to meetings and presentations. We meet at 1pm at Eisenhower Mondays. There will a workshop on July 23rd and one of the tables will be for Android stuff.
I'll have a table on the chromebook.
Old 06-30-2018, 07:33 AM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

I have the Samsung Galaxy Edge, a brother of your phone. I added the micro SD card before my recent trip to Hawaii, as I was running out of space. it takes great pictures, and then they all get populated to Google Photo, where you can create albums, collages etc .. Reception and clarity (Verizon) is great .. both in the US and abroad (via partners). What I don;t like about it is its SWYPE capability. I text a lot, and have used SWYPE forever. It is the worst when it comes to that, if SWYPE is important to you. Voice recognition for input is also marginal. Those are features I'll try out more extensively when I'm ready to upgrade
Old 06-30-2018, 07:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Normalcy was not always my strong suit,,,,
Absolutely one of the best phones we ever owned. We did have the S7 Edge, just about the same as your selection but the Edge thing was a marketing ploy. You should be happy. Great choice.

We went full Apple all around. Should have done it years ago. But like with everything else time will tell.
Old 06-30-2018, 07:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ureout View Post
LOL, I was thinking the same thing.
Old 06-30-2018, 03:01 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Because everything works and if you have other Apple products the integration works very well. If for no other reason security is much better with iPhones than with Androids.
Old 06-30-2018, 09:45 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by valuemkt View Post
I have the Samsung Galaxy Edge, a brother of your phone. I added the micro SD card before my recent trip to Hawaii, as I was running out of space. it takes great pictures, and then they all get populated to Google Photo, where you can create albums, collages etc .. Reception and clarity (Verizon) is great .. both in the US and abroad (via partners). What I don;t like about it is its SWYPE capability. I text a lot, and have used SWYPE forever. It is the worst when it comes to that, if SWYPE is important to you. Voice recognition for input is also marginal. Those are features I'll try out more extensively when I'm ready to upgrade
Can you explain SWYPE? I don't understand.

Closed Thread

Tags
clues, good, bad?moje_whot, galaxy, ordered

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.