Phone

Closed Thread
Old 07-01-2018, 07:32 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
Can you explain SWYPE? I don't understand.

Swype is a virtual keyboard that usually is installed with Samsung/Android phones but it’s also available as an add on keyboard for the iPhone.

With that said a Swype keyboard allows you to swipe along the keyboard to create a word rather than type it letter by letter. In other words if I want to type the word “letter” I swipe my finger without removing it from the keyboard on the letters that are in the world “letter.” And there you go you have the word letter typed on the screen. The negative side of it is that if some words contain some or all of the same letters you are attempting to type a completely different word my come up on the screen, but you can usually see a choice of words on the screen, then you choose the actual word you want to use.

Not sure how well I explained that but a live demo would clear up the your question.
Old 07-01-2018, 05:51 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-flat View Post
Swype is a virtual keyboard that usually is installed with Samsung/Android phones but it’s also available as an add on keyboard for the iPhone.

With that said a Swype keyboard allows you to swipe along the keyboard to create a word rather than type it letter by letter. In other words if I want to type the word “letter” I swipe my finger without removing it from the keyboard on the letters that are in the world “letter.” And there you go you have the word letter typed on the screen. The negative side of it is that if some words contain some or all of the same letters you are attempting to type a completely different word my come up on the screen, but you can usually see a choice of words on the screen, then you choose the actual word you want to use.

Not sure how well I explained that but a live demo would clear up the your question.
You explained it perfectly, thank you.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles

Last edited by BobnBev; 07-01-2018 at 05:52 PM. Reason: spell check
Old 07-01-2018, 07:41 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
You explained it perfectly, thank you.
Great, I’m glad to hear that!
Old 07-02-2018, 12:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Just ordered a new Samsung Galaxy S7. Any clues, good or bad?
I have the 7 edge, for personal use. Easy to use reliable, and until you add an otter box it is a thin phone.

My iPhone is my work phone, and find it just as easy to use. My parents who are close to 90 do not do well with a iPhone. Can’t tell you why they just prefer a android.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:43 AM

I have an S 5 which is about 3 years old, and I love it after I cleared a lot of the extra apps off. The Androids have an advantage over the iPhones; my daughter has an iPhone just about the same age which is starting to act up. She is unable to access the battery without taking the phone apart. I can just pop mine out.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:07 AM
Location: Mt. AIRY NC, NORFOLK VA, VA BEACH, VA, FT WAYNE,IN, CINCINNATI, OH, ROSWELL, GA, THE VILLAGES

you can get wireless charger on Amazon for around $20, works great I have s8+
Old 07-02-2018, 06:08 AM
Location: Mt. AIRY NC, NORFOLK VA, VA BEACH, VA, FT WAYNE,IN, CINCINNATI, OH, ROSWELL, GA, THE VILLAGES

plenty of good videos on You Tube, people just won't take the time to watch.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:28 AM
Veteran member

Too late, you already ordered it, good or bad.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:44 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Can someone please tell me what in the heck is Bixby?

I keep telling it to go away.

(And, yes, I know I need to watch a video or take a class.)
Old 07-02-2018, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Just ordered a new Samsung Galaxy S7. Any clues, good or bad?
I have the S7 and love it. Have had it for 1.5 years. I do not use my phone for everything but it does a lot. My advice is to get a case and screen protector (use Amazon they have a huge selection) as it can be a slippery little devil! The only thing I have found is that after several software upgrades my battery doesn't last as long as I would like and since this model is water resistant the battery is a bear to replace. I would let a professional do that, and probably will. I do like having the microSD card slot and I have downloaded Chrome and Google Talk to use instead of Verizon's stuff. I also use Norton Security as I have a version that covers 10 different devices.

I have my phone through my daughter's account with Verizon and at one point in time she said she wished that she had gotten the S7 rather than the iPhone, and she is a major geek. Loves her Mac but wasn't impressed with her first iPhone. Does like it better now. Our contract will be up in December but I think I'm going to keep the S7 for awhile as I do like it and it is paid for since Verizon had a great deal back then.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:15 AM
Default Samsung is for Geeks too

I have an Electrical Engineering degree and designed airplanes for a living before retiring and I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge so the notion that technical savvy people only own iPhones is not true. I use my phone more than I use my computer and it works great. I control all of my music myself and don't have to put up with iTunes. I have an SD card for extra memory and only use the cloud for contacts so I don't have to pay extra for cloud space. I don't like iPhones because it is proprietary and you can only use apps that Apple will allow. You picked a great phone and you will be very happy with it.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:17 AM
Send a message via ICQ to willis100 Send a message via AIM to willis100 Send a message via Yahoo to willis100 Send a message via Skype™ to willis100

I have only an associates degree in computer technology but I am savvy enough to know you don't have to use iTunes for anything. There is another program out there that does everything iTunes does. Apps are developed to work with a specific operating system and ios and android are different so each system "allows" only the apps that work on that system. After years of experiencing both types, In my opinion, the iPhone wins hands down. (If you try an Apple, You will probably agree. bought my 5s three years ago at Best Buy for $199 new) You don't have to have the latest model to give a try. I was happy with my androids for many years and I hope the poster will be.

Last edited by willis100; 07-03-2018 at 09:08 AM.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:46 AM

We just got Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus phones. Amazing phones and the camera in these is the best! Wireless charging isn't expensive at all, they can be had for as little as $10 - $15.

Not sure but weren't the S7's the one with the exploding battery issue?
Old 07-02-2018, 09:59 AM
Default Apple vs Android

If you have other Apple product, i.e. iPad, then it would be smart to stick with Apple as their software and functionality will be familiar to you.

If you don't own Apple products then the Androids are the way to go. If you have a PC then you're likely to be already familiar with Google and Chrome, the Android phones will be easier to use.

Just be aware that as with all Apple products, you'll pay a premium price to join the "club".

All of this is IMHO of course. 😄
Old 07-02-2018, 10:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
The computer club in The Villages have talks on phones and workshops. Google Connected Computer Club and go to meetings and presentations. We meet at 1pm at Eisenhower Mondays. There will a workshop on July 23rd and one of the tables will be for Android stuff.
I'll have a table on the chromebook.
Thank you for posting this information. I wish I had this information when I got my first android I had no idea what to do with it, got a book for old people and taught myself to use it for what I thought I wanted, now I would like to expand my knowledge. Plus there are some great sites online run by Geeks who answer any and all questions.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Closed Thread

Tags
clues, good, bad?moje_whot, galaxy, ordered

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.