POP UP problems

Closed Thread
Old 08-02-2017, 08:37 AM
Default POP UP problems

I am having problems with pop ups....can't seem to stop them...I have the pop up blocker on and have a good virus program but haven't be able to stop the pop ups....they always come up when i click an additional web-site, etc. Anyone have any ideas.

Please PM me if you do. Thanks
Old 08-02-2017, 08:44 AM
Default AdBlock Plus

Use AdBlock Plus
For Firefox: go to tools> AddOns

Why PM you?
The idea of a public forum is to share.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:50 AM
Default Computer

Just trying to make it easy....Thanks
Old 08-02-2017, 11:36 AM
Sage

I have that with my Chrome-book. I'm nervous about going into the thing as I don't want to clear everything else off of it by blocking. Hoping for some "good" technical advice here!!! I get videos popping up on the other news site AND sometimes get audio stuff on here that I didn't "ask for".
Old 08-02-2017, 11:43 AM
Veteran member

First the good news ... you can't can a virus on a Chromebook or malware.

Now for the not so good news ... blocking ads is tough, even with Ad Blocker Plus some sites force you to turn it off for their site.

Now for better news ... Google is working it's own ad blocker which should help ... in the future.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:43 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Now for better news ... Google is working it's own ad blocker which should help ... in the future.
Not quite.

GOOGLE makes mucho moolah off its advertisements. Their future ad block feature will allow ads that conform to Google new, in process ad requirements. So as advertisers construct ads that meet their requirements they will continue and possibly increase. (If I remember correctly they will set ad standards, like font size, no flashing ads, possibly ad fee for approval .....)

At this time your best bet would be to add a specific third party ad blocker and social media blocker for your browser of choice.

Add a good Malware scanner, like Malware Bytes free, full scan monthly and you should be fine.

There are many threads posted here that concern these issues. Do a search.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
First the good news ... you can't can a virus on a Chromebook or malware.

Now for the not so good news ... blocking ads is tough, even with Ad Blocker Plus some sites force you to turn it off for their site.

This user is dead wrong........ chromebooks, Macs, Linux distros, and windows can all get viruses, malware, RATS, and worms.

As far as your pop ups go get ad block pro but also you might want to download Hijackthis, run it and then post the log back here or pm me the log and ill take a look and tell you what to remove.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:58 PM

Thanks to al but nothing works yet.....I shall post if i find a fix.......just need a bit of help to ride myself of this issue.
Old 08-02-2017, 02:18 PM
Veteran member

Jake above, is correct any OS / programmed device can be compromised if someone wants to make the effort.

HijackThis is a tremendous Windows only security tool. (Don't think it is supported anymore in 2017)

The OP did not give us any details on their particular system. Tough to give valid advice.

I'd start with an alternate browser. If issues do not return then it's a browser problem, like toolbars, add-ons, extensions,...

If issues are the same then it's the operating system.
Old 08-02-2017, 02:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I can't remember what year it was the last time I saw a pop up. If you have a Google Chrome browser, download 'Fair Adblocker' from the Chrome store. Also, I never see ads on TOTV, they are blocked as well. Here's a link.

It's the first one at the top with the red & white logo:

The Villages Florida

Chrome Web Store
Closed Thread

Tags
pop, stop, problems, ups, additional

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.