Printer ink dries out when away

Closed Thread
Old 10-01-2018, 04:01 PM

Just take it north or where ever, run it a couple of time a month. Easy Peasy. $70 saved. They reall aren't that big.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:40 PM
Veteran member

Get a color laser. They are often available for less than $200. The toner cartridges last far longer than ink cartridges, and the page won't smear if it gets wet. I stopped using ink jet printers years ago. Long term cost is far less with a good laser.
Old 10-01-2018, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regor View Post
Just take it north or where ever, run it a couple of time a month. Easy Peasy. $70 saved. They reall aren't that big.
Different manufacturers, HP and Canon.
Old 10-03-2018, 03:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Buying the Ink just kills me because at one point I owned a Copy Machine Repair Company and know it is sold for triple the cost.

Since the kids are no longer around to sneak copies from my little Epson Printer I decided because of this thread to go nuts and treat myself to a Brother 2 sided copier with a 2 sided Document Feeder. Maybe I'll have to buy toner once a year and no more color ink. I looked back at the Amazon Order History and see I spend about $240 on ink last year. It was worse with those sneaky cheapskates around. LOL.

This is a cheap maneuver that makes me feel like a million bucks. Thanks to the OP. I hope you solved your problem.
Old 10-03-2018, 05:16 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Maybe I'll have to buy toner once a year ...
I don't print that much so I don't have to buy toner cartridges too often, but when I do I buy cheap ones on Amazon -- whatever brand has 4.5 stars. I pay $12-15 each for cartridges for both my Brother and HP b&w laser printers (compared to ~ $50 for Brother and HP-brand ones) and I have never had a problem with one of the cheap ones.

kathy
Old 10-03-2018, 07:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyspear View Post
I don't print that much so I don't have to buy toner cartridges too often, but when I do I buy cheap ones on Amazon -- whatever brand has 4.5 stars. I pay $12-15 each for cartridges for both my Brother and HP b&w laser printers (compared to ~ $50 for Brother and HP-brand ones) and I have never had a problem with one of the cheap ones.
Very helpful comment. Thanks Kathy.
Old 10-05-2018, 07:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Talk about bang for the buck, I had this printer for several years until it needed a drum. The thing is am I'm starting to think its impossible to find, a two-sided printer with the original being flipped in the document feeder. If its out there I've had no luck finding it but thanks for the effort, much appreciated.
The HP 5255 AIO is inexpensive, has a two-side print, plus fax, scan, and photocopy.

It's wifi and Instant Ink compatible. You can check hp's Instant Ink website for details. I have it, saves a fortune in ink costs without sacrificing genuine HP ink.

The math:

The printer itself costs $60.

The ink, at 100 pages per month for one year (no contract. Just cancel if you don't want it anymore, the ink in your printer stops working and you can buy your own at Staples or wherever else) is $60 (rounded up). If you only want to do the 50 page per month plan, that's $36/year for ink.

Instant Ink program measures how many pages you print, no matter how much or little ink is on that page. So if you're a photographer and use high gloss photo paper with full color photo printing, it's still as low as $36 per YEAR for the ink, if you use the Instant Ink program.

However - if you are a photographer I'd recommend an HP Envy PhotoJet printer rather than an Inkjet printer, because it's designed specifically for high quality photo printing. The HP 7855 is Instant Ink compatible, has all the features of the 5255 including automatic duplex printing, but the ink is delivered in tinier microscopic bursts which allows for more precise placement. The HP Envy Photojet 7855 costs around $150.
Old 10-07-2018, 09:03 AM

Installed new cartridges the other day, works fine. Apparently this has been a problem with HP printers. Never experienced this with our two Canons at home, live and learn.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
I need a printer with a two-sided document feeder and two-sided copying at a reasonable price. Any ideas? Help!
I needed the same recently and ended up with a Brother L2750DW. I also got tired of having to recycle clogged inkjet printers and finally decided to go with laser and be done with it. I went with a b/w model. Color is available but is about twice the price, so I settled for b/w.
--
bc
Old 10-13-2018, 09:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstate View Post
Installed new cartridges the other day, works fine. Apparently this has been a problem with HP printers. Never experienced this with our two Canons at home, live and learn.
In the 18 years I've owned HP printers, I've had this happen - once. There are definitely problems with using aftermarket (refilled, refurbished, and otherwise non-HP original) products, but that's because they're inferior. They also void your manufacturer's warranty if you use them and something goes wrong.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:49 AM

I have an HP Envy 5642 that prints on both sides. You do not have to touch the paper; it prints one side then the other.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:10 AM

To do auto 2 sided printing and copying, look at the Canon all in one printers. I’ve been using them for years because I wanted an auto doc feeder as well as auto 2 sided printing and copying. A bonus of these printers is that they do a great job of printing photos. My last printer cost $90. When I have trouble with my printer, I call Canon and they sell me a new one at a discount because of customer loyalty (I’ve checked their “discounted” price and it was).
Old 10-15-2018, 07:12 AM

I leave ours in all summer while gone - original ink not the cheap stuff - Never had a problem - If you do just clean the print heads. Good luck - Like wise I leave ink in printer in our MH for 8 months and same thing no problem
Old 10-15-2018, 07:17 AM
Default Flush nozzles on printer

If you dont regularly use a printer the cartridges/nozzles will clog. Many printers have cleaning settings in their maintenance settings. That uses extra ink to clear things out. May take more than one cleaning if its been awhile.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:08 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
I just found this on line but haven't tried it.

Storing Opened Ink Cartridges

If your ink cartridges are already outside their original packaging, they should be placed in a plastic tub with an airtight lid for safekeeping. Along with the cartridges, place a damp cloth or paper in the sealed tub to initiate humid conditions in a controlled environment.

Remember, if cartridge nozzles are not stored in airtight and humidified conditions they can crust over or dry out, nullifying their usefulness. Make sure that there is nothing touching or leaning against the cartridge nozzles. If anything rubs against them, it can cause the ink to wick.
You know even your damp rag or papers will dry out in about in about a week or two, no matter how air tight your container is. Sorry but I've tried that but an open container, like a glass of water sitting in the container won't keep the cartridge from drying out. Good luck, try your solution!
Closed Thread

Tags
printer, dries, ink, success, container

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.