Recent Downloads

Closed Thread
Old 08-27-2015, 08:12 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!
Default Recent Downloads

Went out for a smoke and came back to the 'puter to find a pop-up telling me I must restart the 'puter in order for Norton to start protecting it...BUT I did not download a Norton renewal!

Am using Windows Defender/Malwarebytes and have not used Norton in more than a year!

Is there a file someplace where I can look to make sure I do not have a Norton renewal download Are recent downloads anywhere to be found? I do not want to go thru the conflict I did on the laptop when I had Norton and Defender fighting with each other on that!

Using Windows Vista Home Edition.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

If this was a new computer, it might have come with Norton preinstalled, my wifes new PC came with Macfee. If you had Norton, and you remember your signin and password, you can log in and see if 1. you have automatic renewal (I do), and 2. see if your PC is listed. If these are true, you will need to remove the license, and then contact Norton for a refund, and to discontinue the auto renewal.
Do you know to use Task Manager (control-alternate-delete keys simultaneously), select applications tab, click on name, and scroll down to the N's and see if Norton is listed. If it is you have Norton installed.
You can go to control panel, select Programs, and uninstall Norton from there.
Hope this helps.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:48 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Thanx VT. It is an older desktop.
*Went to TM/Applications - not there; went to Processes tab - Norton is there.
*I know Norton was once installed but do not have auto renewal - have lately been getting daily pop-ups to 'renew now' and just click off ignoring same.
*When I click on the desktop icon I get a window telling me my protection has expired/data is at risk/renew now with all of the big scary red icons! lol

*Do ya think an uninstall the only sure way to eliminate a potential conflict?

For the life of me I cannot figure out how this download might have occured! WIsh I could see my latest downloads! Sheesh!

Old 08-27-2015, 09:08 PM
Sage

OK - went to Tools/View Downloads - Norton not showing there

Typed Norton in search box and got 'no results' there.

Guess we'll see what happens when I log on in the morning!

Old 08-28-2015, 10:37 AM
Sage

Logged on the a.m. and no problems/no conflict!
The bloody pop-up must just be some renewal advertising aggrevation!

Closed Thread

Tags
norton, recent, renewal, download, windows, puter, downloads, found, make, conflict, laptop, vista, home, edition, defender, fighting, someplace, protecting, find, back, start, pop-up, restart, telling, order

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.