Registry files Windows 10

Closed Thread
Old 11-09-2022, 08:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,684 Times in 5,232 Posts

Most newer computers have a "C" drive for system and program files and a "D" drive for data files. If you are routinely storing data files on the C drive, move them to the D drive. If you run out of space on the D drive, you can buy an external hard drive for a very low cost, or you can use a cloud drive.
Old 11-09-2022, 08:21 AM
Veteran member
Default Registry files

Thanks to all who responded. Most helpful. Actually, I was referring to registry back-ups created after cleaning. Now I know what I can do with them. It's great having smart people around who share knowledge.
Old 11-09-2022, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
The OP has not identified any problem with their computer. Are you suggesting that he/she do something? Why? My advice would be to leave it alone.

If it's not broken, don't fix it.
Generally, I agree with this maxim. However, unnecessary files on a computer can slow it down and cause problems. As some posters suggested there are programs that can delete these unnecessary files. My antivirus (AV) comes with a tool to do this, and probably other AV software have such tools.
Old 11-09-2022, 11:51 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Today’s window 10 update left behind over 1 Gb of junk. One click and gone in 20 seconds with Glary
Old 11-09-2022, 03:57 PM

My understanding is that cleaning the registry files does nothing (doesn't save space or improve speed). The windows documentation says that deleted registry files just get bypassed in the programing. If you delete them after they have been bypassed it just creates a space in the registry and does no compacting. Thus programs you may buy to "clean" your registry have no impact on consolidation of the registry, thus: Useless process. Leave the registry files alone, windows takes care of it's own stuff.
Old 11-09-2022, 04:03 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

It deletes invalid registry items . your choice to delete with a utility. I usually get if uninstalling a program.
Old 11-09-2022, 07:49 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
You know, I never have to worry about those types of things with Linux!
I regularly use a Linux program called BleachBit that does the same things that Crap Cleaner (CCleaner) does. It removes temp files from specified applications. Runs also as Admin for deep cleaning/ fixing.
Old 11-09-2022, 08:14 PM
Veteran member

As far as Windows goes... I have used various utilities that clean the registry. I've customized the registry hundreds of times adding / deleting security entries, for large corporations. There always has been a controversy about the registry since XP. Microsoft doesn't want you fooling around with it. From personal experience on hundreds of PC's over the years that regular CCleaner of the registry does in fact do something. PC's run faster after cleaning. Leftover install / delete pointers must take up some space, registry files definitely get smaller. The drive properties does a pretty good job of getting rid of temp leftover files.

I once cloned a year old drive to an exact copy PC. Ran CCleaner registry fix. It loaded and ran faster. Go figure?

Last edited by SFSkol; 11-09-2022 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Clarity?
Old 11-12-2022, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
I use ccleaner - a free utility that removes some (but probably not all) unused registry entries

otherwise, I leave the registry well alone
This is the correct answer.

If you are unfamiliar with editing your registry entries, use CCleaner and move on.

Hike naked, it adds color to your cheeks!
Closed Thread

Tags
registry, files, merge, home, icons

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.