ROKU Streaming Stick Plus

Closed Thread
Old 03-30-2018, 03:16 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Do I understand correctly that there is no DVR ability/capability with the various streaming devices?

We currently view almost nothing via direct broadcast due to the seemingly endless commercials.....hence we record almost everything we watch routinely.
Much of the content from streaming services is already commercial free, so you don't need to "skip" over commercials like you (and we) do with DVRs. Also, the content is "on demand". That is, the shows start whenever you want them to. You don't have to watch them at 8 PM on Tuesday or whatever, as with "live" TV. So you the things you like about having a DVR may not be needed with streaming devices and services.

That said, make sure that the content you want is available from whatever streaming service (or services) you subscribe to. Many people who only have streaming services will not have access to local news, live sports and the major networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, etc.). That may or may not be important to you. Make a list of the shows you like and then research what service(s) you need to subscribe to to get them and then research further to find what device(s) you need to buy to support those services. You may find it's a single service (like Netflix) and a single device (maybe even what's built into your TV if you have a "smart" TV) or you may find it's several services and more than one device.

We're almost at the tipping point due to price increases from cable and satellite services. However, we (especially my wife) do not want to have to navigate multiple services on potentially multiple devices (not all streaming devices support all streaming services) to get the shows we want and replacing one larger cable or satellite bill with multiple streaming service bills isn't overly attractive to us either. But keep raising our TV bill and we'll probably go that route!
Old 04-01-2018, 11:59 AM

Update on Directv price drop to $45 when threatened to cancel. Seams an equipment upgrade was included. Carries very high equipment cancellation charges: $240 to $480. Call to cancel. Got ran in circles. No one authorized to drop the unapproved charges. Waiting for management "back room" to call me. Seams like fraud on a grand scale. There are pending/stalled law suits for this practices. Research the internet before thinking Directv. Wondering what my new next month bill will be.
Old 04-01-2018, 01:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

For those of us that need help with choices, why is there not a company that cuts the cord for us.
Old 04-01-2018, 02:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
For those of us that need help with choices, why is there not a company that cuts the cord for us.
https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...1/#post1527792

Tech Remedy
The Villages In-home Tech Support
(352) 661-0730

Anyone try these guys yet? I am thinking about calling..... I can't even set the clock on the microwave!
Old 04-01-2018, 04:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...1/#post1527792

Tech Remedy
The Villages In-home Tech Support
(352) 661-0730

Anyone try these guys yet? I am thinking about calling..... I can't even set the clock on the microwave!
:igbow: thanks for info!
Old 04-05-2018, 02:01 PM

The "device" does not have DVR capability but streaming services (e.g., You tube TV, PlayStation Vue) do have it. It's not a device but the recorded shows are stored in the cloud. You can try streaming services for free with 5 day trials. They broadcast all network shows and lots of sports. We chose YouTube TV for $40/month. Cancel anytime. Works great with Roku stick or device but very dependent on reliability of your internet provider.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:32 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656

I kept one DVR box from Comcast and purchased 3 roku sticks for the rest of house. I can view saved programs via my roku.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:14 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,340 Posts

Thanks for all the help. Just used Dish Anywhere while family in town.
Closed Thread

Tags
bought, locally, stick, streaming, roku

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.