Roku vs Amazon Firestick?

Closed Thread
Old 05-16-2021, 07:35 AM
Default Roku vs Amazon Firestick?

I'm just starting to investigate the pros and cons of streaming sticks, and I'm wondering what experience folks might have with either of these, or perhaps others.

Amazon Firestick may appear to be popular with Prime users. Is Roku easier to setup and use? Which model? What pricing?

Any problems encountered or advice to share would be welcomed and appreciated.
Old 05-16-2021, 07:53 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,751 Times in 3,627 Posts

Roku Ultra.......there are cheaper & more expensive.
Unless you are an over-the-top gamer, Ultra is the sweet spot.
Old 05-16-2021, 07:56 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

I have tried almost all available options. As an Apple FanBoi with all Apple products, I use Apple TV.

BUT, I have tried them all.

I do not like the way Amazon organizes the shows in the browser. It is cluttered, and a lot of scrolling around. The entire time I was using it, I got the impression they were trying to impress me with how many shows were available as opposed to making it easy to find what I was looking for.

I found Roku to be a much more enjoyable experience. Simpler and less cluttered.
Old 05-16-2021, 08:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,583 Times in 5,183 Posts

In my opinion, Roku is the best streaming stick. I think the Amazon product will restrict certain apps from being added, which is similar to the way the Amazon Fire tablets also restrict certain apps. You can buy a Roku stick at Best Buy for about $50. Make sure you get one that has volume buttons on the remote.
Old 05-16-2021, 03:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdeb View Post
I'm just starting to investigate the pros and cons of streaming sticks, and I'm wondering what experience folks might have with either of these, or perhaps others.

Amazon Firestick may appear to be popular with Prime users. Is Roku easier to setup and use? Which model? What pricing?

Go to YouTube and search Roku v Firestick There a many videos that compare them.
Old 05-16-2021, 05:46 PM
Gold member

Tried them both and Roku is King
Old 05-16-2021, 06:30 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:

Firestick all the way to side load apps you will need to download “Downloader App” anything you download not in APP STORE Amazon/Firestick will direct you to My Firetv/developer options/ allow from unknown sources. Firestick comes with 2 options 4K @ $50, standard @ $40 if you are an Amazon Prime member it’s a no-brainer just stay away from Kodi applications. APPs can be found @ Firesticktricks.com
Old 05-17-2021, 04:46 AM
Location: Mt. AIRY NC, NORFOLK VA, VA BEACH, VA, FT WAYNE,IN, CINCINNATI, OH, ROSWELL, GA, THE VILLAGES
Default Firestick

Quote:

You can't sideload any apps to Roku. That's the big dis-advantage. with firestick you can get streaming service for less than $20/mth that gives you over 5,000 live tv channels, movies and series. Ask me how.
Fast Eddie, the villages firestick guy.
Old 05-17-2021, 04:47 AM
Location: Mt. AIRY NC, NORFOLK VA, VA BEACH, VA, FT WAYNE,IN, CINCINNATI, OH, ROSWELL, GA, THE VILLAGES

not true
Old 05-17-2021, 05:05 AM

Love my Roku ...... I have the latest Apple TV - too —- but, I prefer (and only use) my Rokus.
Old 05-17-2021, 05:18 AM

Been using Firestick, 3 yrs now.. just replaced a bedroom roku with the stick..
Old 05-17-2021, 05:34 AM

Keep in mind that at present, you will be unable to add the YouTube TV app on Roku devices. They are in negotiations with Google (who owns YTTV). However, you can apparently still access via the regular YouTube app. We are happy with Roku on three TVs, but we also have a firestick “just in case.” Either seems to work well for what we need.
Old 05-17-2021, 05:47 AM

Can not load Hulu on Roku.

Last edited by Bwolf1; 05-17-2021 at 05:49 AM. Reason: Misspell
Old 05-17-2021, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwolf1 View Post
Can not load Hulu on Roku.
NOT TRUE!

We watch HULU on 3 different Rokus

Roku even has its own free TV channels

Best
Old 05-17-2021, 06:08 AM

I’ve found that the Chromecast 4K streaming device is the most trouble free compared to the Roku Utra 4K. The Roku heats up quite a bit and needs to be occasionally powered down and powered up to reset it. The reset only needs to be done occasionally, like once a week or so. The non 4K Roku streaming boxes are more reliable than the 4K version, but not as reliable as the Chromecast. The Chromecast has no remote control, since your tablet or cellphone is your remote control. If you’re still living in the dark ages, and have a flip (dumb) cellphone, the Chromecast won’t work for you.

Depending on what you stream, one is better than the other. It’s probably a good idea to own more than one streaming device, since they aren’t that expensive. Get the 4K version of the device, even if you don’t currently have a 4K TV now. That will future proof your streaming device in the future when you get the 4K TV.

I plug both the Chromecast and Roku Ultra into a WiFi controlled power outlet. That way, I can power cycled both devices with the “Smart Life” app with my iPhone.

You’ll need to register your credit card when you set up the Roku account, in case you make future purchases with the Roku that’s pay content. I don’t care for the idea of having to register my credit card with the Roku account, but I’ve never been charged anything by Roku on the credit card. The Chromecast doesn’t require you to register a credit card to your Google account.

The 4K TV looks a lot better than the HD TV when you are watching 4K content. The 4K TV up converts the HD content, so that the HD content will look better on the 4K TV than it does on the HD TV, but not as good as if it was 4K content. When you’re replacing TV’s I recommend to not bother with the HD TVs and get a Samsung 4K TV. Samsung is the best brand.

We have an Amazon account, but almost never stream with Amazon. We stream with Netflix and YouTube TV. If you have a T-Mobile Magenta Plus plan, then Netflix is free. T-Mobile is half the price compared to Verizon.

We haven’t tried the Amazon stick yet or the Apple streaming device, although we thought about buying the Apple streaming device.

The YouTube TV service is a lot more expensive than it was a couple years ago, but is a pretty good solution if you are a snowbird, travel around, and it’s very handy to watch TV on a iPad or iPhone around the house.
Closed Thread

Tags
roku, amazon, firestick, setup, users

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.