Roku vs Amazon Firestick?

Closed Thread
Old 05-17-2021, 06:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,591 Times in 5,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
I’ve found that the Chromecast 4K streaming device is the most trouble free compared to the Roku Utra 4K. The Roku heats up quite a bit and needs to be occasionally powered down and powered up to reset it. The reset only needs to be done occasionally, like once a week or so. The non 4K Roku streaming boxes are more reliable than the 4K version, but not as reliable as the Chromecast. The Chromecast has no remote control, since your tablet or cellphone is your remote control. If you’re still living in the dark ages, and have a flip (dumb) cellphone, the Chromecast won’t work for you.

Depending on what you stream, one is better than the other. It’s probably a good idea to own more than one streaming device, since they aren’t that expensive. Get the 4K version of the device, even if you don’t currently have a 4K TV now. That will future proof your streaming device in the future when you get the 4K TV.

I plug both the Chromecast and Roku Ultra into a WiFi controlled power outlet. That way, I can power cycled both devices with the “Smart Life” app with my iPhone.

You’ll need to register your credit card when you set up the Roku account, in case you make future purchases with the Roku that’s pay content. I don’t care for the idea of having to register my credit card with the Roku account, but I’ve never been charged anything by Roku on the credit card. The Chromecast doesn’t require you to register a credit card to your Google account.

The 4K TV looks a lot better than the HD TV when you are watching 4K content. The 4K TV up converts the HD content, so that the HD content will look better on the 4K TV than it does on the HD TV, but not as good as if it was 4K content. When you’re replacing TV’s I recommend to not bother with the HD TVs and get a Samsung 4K TV. Samsung is the best brand.

We have an Amazon account, but almost never stream with Amazon. We stream with Netflix and YouTube TV. If you have a T-Mobile Magenta Plus plan, then Netflix is free. T-Mobile is half the price compared to Verizon.

We haven’t tried the Amazon stick yet or the Apple streaming device, although we thought about buying the Apple streaming device.

The YouTube TV service is a lot more expensive than it was a couple years ago, but is a pretty good solution if you are a snowbird, travel around, and it’s very handy to watch TV on a iPad or iPhone around the house.
To clarify, you do not need to register a credit card to get a Roku account and use the streaming device. If you buy or rent a movie from Roku, you need to pay with a credit card, debit card, or gift card, but you can always delete the card from the account.
Old 05-17-2021, 06:35 AM
Veteran member

Google recently released the Chromecast with Google TV streaming device. It offers 4K, is faster than the Firestick, has a better interface than the Firestick (and Roku in my opinion), AND you can sideload apps like you can in Firestick. In addition, the included remote is far more capable than either the Firestick or Roku remotes. It can turn your TV on/off, control volume (both of which the Roku do), and also can change TV inputs!

Keep in mind, if you get a Roku, you can't currently use YouTube TV. Roku has removed their app from the app store, and they are in a huge battle. If this were the Firestick or Chromecast, you could simply sideload the app.
Old 05-17-2021, 06:37 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedalton View Post
You can't sideload any apps to Roku. That's the big dis-advantage. with firestick you can get streaming service for less than $20/mth that gives you over 5,000 live tv channels, movies and series. Ask me how.
Fast Eddie, the villages firestick guy.
Fast Eddie, if someone took you up on your offer, then refused to pay you the monthly vig, would you feel like you were being cheated? Once you crack the Firestick, aren't you relying on someone who is willing to bend the rules? And if they don't, what is your cure?
Old 05-17-2021, 07:19 AM

Simple:
1. Get the cheapest Roku model that has the ability to MUTE and control your tv for each tv. If you can read, you can set it up. You don't need voice control etc on your remotes. Comes with dvr capabilities and separate watcher lists under their name.
2. Sign up for one hulu account. One account can be accessed by your many rokus for the one subscription price.
3. Sign up Netflix. Ditto here that each roku can access your account with just one subscription price.
4. Add or select Amazon Prime tv if you already have an Amazon Prime account, most of it will be a free tv subscription included in
your original Amazon Prime shopping account.
That is enough tv to keep you through another year of pandemic.

With Roku you can add many many others streaming services if you have a subscription accounts to pull from.
Old 05-17-2021, 08:04 AM

@lrvalley
You can access YouTube TV through the YouTube app on Roku devices if you don’t already have the YTTV app installed.
Old 05-17-2021, 08:05 AM

We have 2 Roku televisions (TCL brand) and use a Roku stick on our other tv. We can add multiple apps plus watch shows on Roku app for free. We’ve been very pleased with Roku for several years.
Old 05-17-2021, 08:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,749 Times in 1,386 Posts

Does Roku or Amazon Firestick do anything different than what is available on a smart TV set?

I can access just about all the streaming sites with my Vizio smart TV.
Old 05-17-2021, 08:21 AM

I started with Chromecast but found it kind of clunky and limited. About 15 months ago my youngest son got me to change to firestick so I could download an IPTV APK and had it ever since.

My stick is jailbroken, easy to do, so I can add those outside apps like Peacock and my VPN.

I saw a mention about remotes, mine is 2nd Gen and it has Alexa which I don't use. I can control my TV and power with it. If I use my soundbar the volume and features are controlled by that remote. The firestick also has a search function and while I agree with the cluttered screen comment you can find what you're looking for using search in less than a minute.

Now another twist, I live just outside TV and my media company is Zito Media. They've gone away from cable boxes and out their "cable tv" on an app that you can access on firestick or Roku. I won't get into it here but you have to wonder if other media providers are going the same route?
Old 05-17-2021, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Does Roku or Amazon Firestick do anything different than what is available on a smart TV set?

They give you more options. My smart tv has MLB TV but not NHL TV it's why I originally got a Chromecast and changed to firestick.
Old 05-17-2021, 08:34 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,060 Times in 529 Posts

I use Firesticks. Have 4 of them. I can order apps on Amazon, and cancel subscriptions on Amazon. I have no experience with ROKUs and doubt I ever will because I'm so happy with Firesticks.
Old 05-17-2021, 08:41 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdeb View Post
I'm just starting to investigate the pros and cons of streaming sticks, and I'm wondering what experience folks might have with either of these, or perhaps others.

Amazon Firestick may appear to be popular with Prime users. Is Roku easier to setup and use? Which model? What pricing?

Any problems encountered or advice to share would be welcomed and appreciated.
I have used both, now my 3 tvs are on roku. We mute commercials, so it was very important to find the roku that has that button ON THE SIDE of the remote. Not all are located there and some of the bottom levels don't even have mute on the remote...you have to just keep lowering the vol.
Another thing, the remote does not have numbers, therefore when on the guide you can not punch in the channel number..you have to toggle to it... that can be a pain. Maybe newer models have corrected it.
Roku has very fast set up.
Old 05-17-2021, 09:15 AM

Just found out my Roku is not compatible with pectrum. Apparently pectrum is wanting to launch their own version and no longer offers the Spectrum app on the Roku device. Disappointing. When I am in FL, I use Xfinity and it works fine with Roku. I do not like the way the guide works with the Roku versus the Xfinity box. Also, you cannot rewind a live show you are watching with Roku. A few small inconveniences.
Old 05-17-2021, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdeb View Post
I'm just starting to investigate the pros and cons of streaming sticks, and I'm wondering what experience folks might have with either of these, or perhaps others.

Amazon Firestick may appear to be popular with Prime users. Is Roku easier to setup and use? Which model? What pricing?

Any problems encountered or advice to share would be welcomed and appreciated.
Hi. We love our specially installed Lock Streamed Amazon Fire stick. A gazillion channels and apps live everything. Purchase FS, then the TV Doctor came. Sets everything up and spent spent allot of quality time showing us how to use. Dropped television 📺 services. Saving over $100 per month. His software engineering invented this method. His name is Arty the Tv doctor. 386-843-1670. Lives in Fenney
Old 05-17-2021, 09:50 AM

Does Roku include viewing of local TV stations? I like getting local weather & sports.
Old 05-17-2021, 10:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,591 Times in 5,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post

It depends on the features included on the smart TV. Some smart TVs have built-in streaming apps and don't allow you to search the internet for new streaming apps. With the Roku, you can search for new apps and install them on the Roku stick.
Closed Thread

Tags
roku, amazon, firestick, setup, users

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.