Roku vs Amazon Firestick?

Closed Thread
Old 05-17-2021, 10:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,411 Times in 5,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel Maryland View Post
Does Roku include viewing of local TV stations? I like getting local weather & sports.
No. The free Roku service is just a platform for streaming apps, some of which are free. You get local channels by subscribing to a streaming app that includes the local channels. I don't think you can get local channels through a free app.
Old 05-17-2021, 10:18 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel Maryland View Post
Does Roku include viewing of local TV stations? I like getting local weather & sports.
But Roku offers the app called "locast.org" for a subscription "donation" of $5.50 per month. Locast airs the main Orlando channels. However, Locast is being sued by the networks (ABC, NBC, etc.) for streaming their content, so I don't know how long this app will work.

I wonder why the networks don't stream their own content to reach rural areas. Maybe FCC rules?

Last edited by Carla B; 05-17-2021 at 12:44 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-17-2021, 10:27 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
But Roku offers the app called "locast.org" for a subscription "donation" of $5.50 per month. Locast airs the main Orlando channels. However, Locast is being sued by the networks (ABC, NBC, etc.) for streaming their content, so I don't know how long this app will work.

I wonder why the networks don't steam their own content to reach rural areas. Maybe FCC rules?
It's called a donation, but if you don't pay it, the broadcast will stop every 15 minutes to ask you for money. If you do pay it, you need to authorize a monthly credit card charge, with no way to contact the company directly if you decide to cancel. It doesn't sound like a very good service.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 05-17-2021 at 10:53 AM.
Old 05-17-2021, 10:52 AM

Google Chromecast! Cheap, simple to install and use. Fire and Roku don't compare. Fire, being the worst!
Available online or at Best Buy. About $35.
Old 05-17-2021, 10:57 AM

I have Roku. Love it. Don't know which model. Didn't know Roku has more than one. I suspect not much difference. Other than maybe price
Old 05-17-2021, 11:50 AM

I have one of both and Roku is far superior in my opinion. Amazon Fire Stick has constant memory issues which shut down streaming regularly. I have done some work to improve the Firestick memory hog, but it is a work in progress. Roku worked well right out of the box.
Old 05-17-2021, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Roku Ultra.......there are cheaper & more expensive.
Unless you are an over-the-top gamer, Ultra is the sweet spot.
I have been using the Amazon fire stick for about 3 years because as a prime member you pay nothing more for it after the purchase which is relatively cheap. Is it great, probably not, but it’s enough for me. The layout and App stuff really comes down to personal preference. Amazons algorithm streams on minimal bandwidth which is nice, no sitting and spinning of the stupid little icon on the screen, instead of your show or movie.
Old 05-17-2021, 06:00 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Does Roku or Amazon Firestick do anything different than what is available on a smart TV set?

I can access just about all the streaming sites with my Vizio smart TV.
Yes, both devices include far better apps that have gone through extensive testing, and get regular updates. Apps on the TV's are added as an afterthought to lure the consumer in. They work for the most part, but will exhibit issues from time to time. They generally require more internet speed to maintain a solid stream, and have been known to lock up occasionally, or cause a TV to reset.

If an issue occurs on an app on TV, good luck getting it fixed. If it happens on Roku, Firestick, or Chromecast, a fix is usually provided fairly quickly.

Also... once you have your device loaded and connected, when you replace your TV, just move the device over and everything is working.

[Former IT Guy ]
Old 05-17-2021, 06:29 PM
Send a message via AIM to Jeanne wilson

Roku I feel is great.
Old 05-18-2021, 11:05 AM
Sage

Our first Roku was a gift from a family member years ago, when I was complaining about Comcast's rising prices. I think it was a Roku 2. Then, a couple years ago, lightning killed it.

We replaced it with a new Roku and the difference between the power of the old and new was striking. So if anyone is operating with an older one, it's worth updating.
Old 05-18-2021, 06:56 PM
Veteran member

The current issue with Roku is that if you want to get YouTube TV, you can't. They have blocked the app from being downloaded. Not sure when they will resolve their differences, but it doesn't look good.

With either the Firestick or Google TV you can sideload the app if the company blocks it. There is no way to sideload an app on Roku.

I loved my Roku 4K stick right up until I decided to drop Xfinity and move to YouTube TV... Now I have Chromecast with Google TV and two 4K Roku sticks for sale
Old 05-21-2021, 06:31 AM
Location: Mt. AIRY NC, NORFOLK VA, VA BEACH, VA, FT WAYNE,IN, CINCINNATI, OH, ROSWELL, GA, THE VILLAGES

You can get the same app on the firestick
Old 05-23-2021, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrvalley View Post
The current issue with Roku is that if you want to get YouTube TV, you can't. They have blocked the app from being downloaded. Not sure when they will resolve their differences, but it doesn't look good.

With either the Firestick or Google TV you can sideload the app if the company blocks it. There is no way to sideload an app on Roku.

I loved my Roku 4K stick right up until I decided to drop Xfinity and move to YouTube TV... Now I have Chromecast with Google TV and two 4K Roku sticks for sale
YouTube already did a workaround for the Roku issue by adding a link to YouTube TV through their regular YouTube app. This has been in place for a couple of weeks now.

Screen shot of the YouTube regular app with the YouTube TV link:
https://9to5google.com/wp-content/up...workaround.png
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	youtube-tv-roku-workaround.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	89598  
Old 05-23-2021, 08:48 AM

Forgive my questions please...

So, obviously wifi is essential. Is this just a matter of calling Comcast/Infinity and only cancelling cable but retaining wifi?

Or, is it best to cancel both and obtain wifi only?

You're going to say whatever offer is more attractive perhaps?

Seriously. Step 1. Cancel cable. Step 2. Install Roku or whatever. Step 3. Determine which apps are desirable.

All assuming a smart TV however? One I have is and the other is not.

Again, forgive the naive questions. And all the advice here is extraordinary. Thank you.
Old 05-23-2021, 08:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdeb View Post
Forgive my questions please...

So, obviously wifi is essential. Is this just a matter of calling Comcast/Infinity and only cancelling cable but retaining wifi?

Or, is it best to cancel both and obtain wifi only?

You're going to say whatever offer is more attractive perhaps?

Seriously. Step 1. Cancel cable. Step 2. Install Roku or whatever. Step 3. Determine which apps are desirable.

All assuming a smart TV however? One I have is and the other is not.

Again, forgive the naive questions. And all the advice here is extraordinary. Thank you.
If you have a current 2 year agreement with Xfinity, you can just downgrade to the "internet only" service to avoid an early termination penalty. You will need a Roku or other type of streaming stick for the non-smart TV. Then, subscribe to a streaming service. I would suggest using the website, "suppose.tv" which is a free site to determine which streaming services you may want to get and the cost.
Closed Thread

Tags
roku, amazon, firestick, setup, users

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.