Router / WiFi suggestion request

Closed Thread
Old 07-15-2019, 05:05 PM

After more research and looking into a lot of the good info provided by this forum, I am now looking at getting the Eero Pro system.

The Orbi (new, latest version) will not be out for another couple months. I will need a system up and running when I arrive, hence the Eero Pro. It turns out that the wiring for the house has a 8 ported switch in place with Cat5 (i think) cables to 8 different locations in house.

I have an appointment with Tom of the Villages AV (comes recommended by others here) to have that set up and I am hoping that he can use the existing switch with the Eero Pro system.

I will post again here when the system is on-line and give everyone a run-down of what I end up with and my thoughts of it’s performance and coverage.

Thanks to all who have posted their comments / thoughts here.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
After more research and looking into a lot of the good info provided by this forum, I am now looking at getting the Eero Pro system.

I have an appointment with Tom of the Villages AV (comes recommended by others here) to have that set up and I am hoping that he can use the existing switch with the Eero Pro system.
Hey Tom, Amazon has the Eero Pro 3 pack on sale for $299 today. ($200 off). Go ahead and pick that up right away and I'll see you on the 25th. [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 07-15-2019, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorTech View Post
Can you even comprehend my previous post?
Read it again.
Ya, I get it. My network architecture and reading comprehension skills are on point. I've been playing with the Nighthawk AX6000 for a month or so and its a nice piece but its not ready for prime time. I would never deploy it in a customers home. Benchmarks are great and speed tests are wonderful for bragging rights but in the real world, if you can't feel a difference, does it really matter? I guess if you're moving huge files across your local network it might help but who does that? My usage and most of my customers usage is bottlenecked by the ISP, not by network performance. My customers need solutions today, I can't ask them to wait 6 months or a year for a quality mesh networking Wi-Fi 6 solution to emerge.

Old 07-15-2019, 06:23 PM
Gold member

How is it not ready for "prime time"? Can you be specific? Why wouldn't you deploy in customers home? What are you seeing that discourages you?

The WiFi 6 standard has a totally new and far superior datacom structure...It is not just the next-gen WiFi AC hack.

Future proofing with the latest standards is always a good idea but "Tom C" did not have ability to wait.

New technology obsoletes old technology..That's how it works. The WiFi AC routers are being discounted because they have become obsolete with the release of new AX (WiFi 6) routers...WiFi 6 routers are backwards compatible with all other obsoleted WiFi devices.

Last edited by MorTech; 07-15-2019 at 06:35 PM.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:41 PM

The firmware on the ax6000 is unstable. Im having all kinds of issues with the Samsung Galaxy S10 plus connecting to the network with no IP transport. It worked fine with my Denon HEOS system but would kick off my hardwired Sonos devices. In its current state, I wouldn't recommend them to my customers if they were free. They want rock-solid reliability and for $400 I can do a heck of a lot better for my customers.

Wi-Fi 6 is an outstanding technology, I'm sure it's going to be awesome someday.

Old 07-15-2019, 10:58 PM
Gold member

Good to know. You are having problems with both AX and legacy connections with the Netgear? DHCP problems with AX and not legacy WiFi?

I'm waiting on a cable modem DOCSIS 3.1 / WiFi 6 router.

If you plan on creating a "Smart Home" environment, use WiFi 6 (802.11ax). It was developed specifically for that purpose.

Last edited by MorTech; 07-15-2019 at 11:07 PM.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:14 AM
Gold member

The problems with the Netgear Nighthawks were resolved in firmware back in April. Are you still seeing those problems? Did you do a factory reset?
Closed Thread

Tags
signal, router, wifi, house, systems

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.