Router / WiFi suggestion request

Router / WiFi suggestion request

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 06-30-2019, 10:44 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
I should have also mentioned that our home in TV was set up as a somewhat “smart” home.... (honestly, the technology can make this more of a challenge than it should be - like early FORTRAN ... ). Anyway, we have 14 ceiling fans, lots of appliances, blinds, security system, pool functions and of course the HVAC that all ties into ”THE HOUSE” that can (and will) control them all... and probably me too

Anyway, what I am saying is that I don’t want to add to my problems by putting in a “less than capable” system, or a spotty system. Lots of good recommendations so far.

Anyone using a Mesh system?

PS - i will be changing my Avatar when i move to TV.
Thank You

Old 06-30-2019, 12:48 PM

Location: Currently in Alaska, but soon to move to the Pine Hills Village

Thanks for all the feedback and discussions. I am using it all.

I am leaning toward the Orbi system, as it strikes a good balance between functionality and a good user interface (easy and self explanatory).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorTech View Post
Then you should definitely go with WiFi 6 and DOCSIS 3.1
It will eventually pay for itself by not having to rent a Comcast modem/router.
I have a tough time finding specs, so I don’t know if it is WiFi 6 / DOCSIS 3.1 or the older. What they have on their website is: “WiFi Technology 3 (tri-band, 4x4, 2x2, 2x2)”

Anyone currently using the Orbi system? If so, are you using the RBK-50 (AC3000)? How do you like the user panels on the application?

Thanks!

Last edited by Tom C; 06-30-2019 at 01:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2019, 01:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
If your router supports dual-band (2.4 and 5 GHz), try switching your streaming device to use the 5 GHz band. Microwave ovens operate at a frequency of 2.45 GHz.
I've just been resetting and going onward for probably close to a year. Such a simple fix. Thank's biker1. You were on the $$Money$$. It worked. Looks like my Linksys Equipment was not at fault, it was yours truly again. OOOoooops!

Tom, don't change your Avatar until you finish unpacking! That's the worserest part of moving here! We are all Collectively Happy for Yous Guys! You did plenty of investigating and it will all pay off shortly!

Last edited by Nucky; 06-30-2019 at 01:36 PM.
Old 06-30-2019, 01:37 PM

Nucky - Getting ready to go was the worst after that it is shopping
Old 06-30-2019, 05:49 PM

If you want to go Netgear Orbi then wait a couple months when they have WiFi 6 Orbi system available.

You want WiFi 6 with your usage.

This guy explains it quite well. Low latency to eliminate streaming stutter.

Just how FAST is WiFi 6? - YouTube

Has a bit better range as well.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:47 AM

I have at my home in Cincinnati the eero for the last 2 years. It's flawless, very happy. Closed on our new home in TV last week and will be setting the eero in it as well.

You can buy it today for a nice discount with Amazon Prime Day. I purchased today and saved $200.
Old 07-15-2019, 01:02 PM

I have 53 connected devices in my home. Exactly two (2) of them are WiFi 6 compatible. Samsung Galaxy S10+ smartphones. Running the Eero Pro mesh network, it performs flawlessly. Even with 5 HDR security cameras streaming 24/7 I still get 300 mbps download speeds on every square inch of my property with the Comcast 250 mbps package. If you're looking at the Eero system for max performance, I would stay away from the beacons as there is a definite difference in throughput.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 07-15-2019, 02:26 PM

Why not future proof yourself with a proper OFDMA WiFi 6 system? WiFi 6 is not just for handling WiFi 6 capable devices, it handles older WiFi devices much better. The older WiFi 802.11ac systems are being discounted because they are obsolete.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:07 PM

Obsolete? I bet that over 95% of the homes in The Villages have zero Wi-Fi 6 devices. Calling AC routers obsolete is like saying conventional PC's are obsolete because of quantum computing.

Old 07-15-2019, 04:12 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Grooms View Post
Obsolete? I bet that over 95% of the homes in The Villages have zero Wi-Fi 6 devices. Calling AC routers obsolete is like saying conventional PC's are obsolete because of quantum computing.

Tags
signal, router, wifi, house, systems