Run as an Administrater

Closed Thread
Old 05-16-2011, 07:26 PM
Default Run as an Administrater

I usually run Firefox as my web browser. Yesterday, when I clicked on the Firefox icon, on my desktop, I was shown a box that said an application file could not be found. Now, the only way I can use Firefox, is by right clicking on the icon, and running the application as the administrator. To be able to run the application, I have to allow some changes to my computer. The same problem also exists when I try to run Internet Explorer.

I have tried to check or change the administrator in my security block using the control panel. I receive a message saying a file cannot be found. I believe I am no longer the administrator oh this computer.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:22 PM

Log off and log back in, or restart computer for starters. Make sure your clock on the computer is correct. Deleting cookies history and temp files helps also.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:09 AM
Sage

after the restart, i'd do a disc cleeanup, defrag, and reload firefox
Old 05-17-2011, 06:23 AM

I used Firefox for eternity and it recently insisted that I upgrade to their new version. I did. The new one was many steps backwards so I trashed it and went back to IE. I hate when the software gurus think they know more than the user........ User friendly is a lost art..... Firefox
Old 05-17-2011, 07:03 AM
Gold member

kb8, I had the same problem. The newest version of Firefox is a disgrace - just about everything I liked about Firefox has been changed, and I can't even find the bookmark toolbar. Back to IE, which I don't like much, but is more friendly than the latest offering from Mozilla! I plan to complain if I can ever find a link to an address that a human might monitor . . . .
Old 05-17-2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemorc View Post
I usually run Firefox as my web browser. Yesterday, when I clicked on the Firefox icon, on my desktop, I was shown a box that said an application file could not be found. Now, the only way I can use Firefox, is by right clicking on the icon, and running the application as the administrator. To be able to run the application, I have to allow some changes to my computer. The same problem also exists when I try to run Internet Explorer.

I have tried to check or change the administrator in my security block using the control panel. I receive a message saying a file cannot be found. I believe I am no longer the administrator oh this computer.

Not trying t get in a conversation over my head but I have used Goggle Chrome for about a year and a half and really like it. Fast quick and has thumbnails of your most visited sites so you can simply click and go. I have come to really enjoy it much more than IE. Never used Firefox so can't say how they compare.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:02 AM
Gold member

I too have used google chrome for about a year and just love it
Old 05-17-2011, 08:19 AM
Sage
Default I have no idea but...

I am guessing Chrome would not work either as IE fails.

I suspect you have been this route, but just in case, there is some info on Google by searching "Only administrator can launch IE". Retry search replacing IE with Chrome, Firefox, application, etc.

Last edited by ajbrown; 05-17-2011 at 08:27 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-17-2011, 10:42 AM

If someone like's chrome, than I suggest Iron. It is almost the source of Chrome, but without any spyware or Information send to Google. It is more secure about privacy concerns and is free as well.

http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron.php
Old 05-17-2011, 01:53 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
Not trying t get in a conversation over my head but I have used Goggle Chrome for about a year and a half and really like it. Fast quick and has thumbnails of your most visited sites so you can simply click and go. I have come to really enjoy it much more than IE. Never used Firefox so can't say how they compare.
I've used Firefox since it first came out. When I upgraded to the latest version about a month ago, it quit working. I then switched to Chrome and love it. It's faster and has better extensions than Firefox. The ones I use are Adblock Plus, Email this page, Forecastfox, Lastpass (manages passwords and fills in forms), Neat bookmarks and Priceblink. If you like Firefox you'll love Chrome.
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:00 PM
Default New version of Firefox

I had the same reaction to the new version of Firefox. The main problem is that the classic menu bar was missing ("File", "Edit", "Bookmark", Help", etc.). Because of that, I couldn't find many of the basic functions,- like "Print" -, that I am used to. The Firefox people, in their wisdom, hid that menu bar to save space and didn't prominently mention how to access it after the upgrade. As it turns out, all you have to do is press the <Alt> key and the classic menu bar appears at the top for you to use. It then disappears again after usage or a short time without usage. Just press the <Alt> key on your keyboard every time you need the classic menu bar which includes the "Bookmark" drop-down menu. In addition, the "Home" page icon and the "Bookmark" icon are displayed at the upper right-hand side, and there is a "Firefox" drop-down menu at the extreme upper left that contains some of the most used functions. It takes some getting used to, but I've become comfortable in a relatively short period of time once I learned where everything was.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:42 AM
Sage

For those who prefer Firefox, this link should allow you to download a prior version.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-older.html

However, there is a note on the Firefox website that 3.6 will be supported with security and other updates for a short time only.

I also upgraded to FF 4.0 and didn't like it either.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:37 AM
Sage

I had to dump Firefox and now use Chrome. Still have MSIE but hardly ever use it.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:08 AM
Veteran member
Location: Reading, Pa, The Villages, Reading, Pa, The Villages until the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
If someone like's chrome, than I suggest Iron. It is almost the source of Chrome, but without any spyware or Information send to Google. It is more secure about privacy concerns and is free as well.

http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron.php
I clicked on your link to the site, the site came up but so did 3,4,5,etc pop ups. Don't need pop ups.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Dog View Post
I clicked on your link to the site, the site came up but so did 3,4,5,etc pop ups. Don't need pop ups.
Nothing is for free. Chrome collect data and send them to Google, Iron use some sponsers for support on the homepage, but doesn't have any integrated spyware like Chrome. What is the better choice?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.