Samsung S-7

Closed Thread
Old 08-07-2020, 10:25 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Samsung S-7

The problem--Won't turn on and stay on. Battery shows 100%. Won't do anything if it's not plugged in. I wonder if there's a "hard reset" that I could do. This model has a non-replaceable battery. If I buy a new phone, I wonder if I can transfer all the old phone's information to the new one, if the old one won't turn on. I guess this is just a speed bump in life. Thanks for listening to me ramble.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 08-07-2020, 10:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,937 Times in 5,277 Posts

We have the same model. About a month ago my wife dropped hers and it stopped working.

Went to 2 Verizon stores and they were totally unhelpful and pretty much useless. Went to MMD and they thought it was not worth fixing.

Wife went to Verizon customer service and they were very helpful in her picking out a new phone which they shipped to us and than she called and they walked her thru getting all info back.
Old 08-07-2020, 11:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
The problem--Won't turn on and stay on. Battery shows 100%. Won't do anything if it's not plugged in. I wonder if there's a "hard reset" that I could do. This model has a non-replaceable battery. If I buy a new phone, I wonder if I can transfer all the old phone's information to the new one, if the old one won't turn on. I guess this is just a speed bump in life. Thanks for listening to me ramble.
There is a way to do this repair because it happened to me but I have to give it some thought as it was a while ago. I think the Samsung Customer Service was involved. That phone is a beauty and worth saving. I'll get back to you later. Don't give up.
Old 08-07-2020, 11:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,412 Times in 5,105 Posts

Quote:
The battery can be replaced. I would suggest contacting Gizmo Depot, 352--641-0435, or any other place that replaces cell phone batteries. If the phone works when it is plugged in, the data can be transferred to another phone. But, if you do a factory reset, you will lose all of the data. If you have a Windows 10 computer, you can download an app called "Smart Switch". Then, you just open Smart Switch and plug the phone in to the computer, and it will backup everything on the phone. Very easy.

Note: If you buy a new phone, install the Samsung Smart Switch app onto both phones, and then you can transfer the data from the old phone to the new one wirelessly. This also works with a Samsung tablet. I regularly transfer data from my Samsung phone to my tablet using the Smart Switch app.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 08-07-2020 at 12:02 PM.
Old 08-07-2020, 01:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

My son reminded me that Samsung Tech Support had us do the following steps which we were instructed to look for and found on the internet.

He was here to help me and it worked like a charm. Good Luck.
All owners need to do is press the power and volume-down buttons at the same time, and hold both down for 7-8 seconds. Push, hold, and wait. After 7-8 seconds the Galaxy S7 or Galaxy S7 Edge will vibrate, turn off, and reboot. This should resolve most problems.
How to Reboot a Frozen Galaxy S7 or S7 Edge - YouTube
Old 08-07-2020, 04:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

The same thing happened with my S7, starting around a week or two ago. It was also following a software update. I don't have a fix for it. But I do have a workaround.

If you normally use fingerprint to unlock Android, then you also should have either a PIN or a 9-dot pattern security option. You can't use fingerprint to unlock an Android immediately after bootup. So -

If you have the 9-dot pattern option - do that. It'll go black. Do it again. Wait a few seconds, then press the bottom center button again. That SHOULD open it right up.

Not sure if it'll work with the PIN but it definitely works with the 9-dot (which is what I use).

You have to do it twice now, not just once. And it has to be that option twice in a row. Don't try to use your fingerprint the second time.
Old 08-08-2020, 06:02 AM
Default Samsung Take it to ubreak-ifix in southern trace they have people trained in Samsung

Quote:
Take it to ubreak-ifix in southern trace they have people trained in Samsung
Old 08-08-2020, 06:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBarbry View Post
Take it to ubreak-ifix in southern trace they have people trained in Samsung
They fixed ours as well. Good people, and reasonable fee.
Old 08-08-2020, 06:25 AM

I followed this thread and I don’t even own a Samsung phone. Just great to see people jumping in and trying to help. This is what TOTV is all about. People helping others.
Old 08-08-2020, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Could the problem be the download that happened a week or so ago. Some people are calling it a covid tracker used by the government. Made a mess of my phone, lost all pictures and some data. Samsung helped a little but didn’t get it all back. Go to settings, then google and see if you have it. If you don’t want to use it be sure it’s turned off.
Old 08-08-2020, 06:57 AM
Default Samsung S7

Another thing to try is to open up a paper clip and gently clean the charging port. My S7 did this and that's what the Samsung shop did to it.
Old 08-08-2020, 07:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,412 Times in 5,105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by janda View Post
Another thing to try is to open up a paper clip and gently clean the charging port. My S7 did this and that's what the Samsung shop did to it.
You can buy a wireless charger from Amazon for about 10 dollars.
Old 08-08-2020, 08:34 AM

Take it to YouBreak-IFix in the Villages. They will run a diagnostic for no charge. They have Samsung diagnostics. Great people and very reasonable repairs if needed.
Old 08-08-2020, 09:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

n/t found it elsewhere
Old 08-08-2020, 09:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,883 Times in 1,100 Posts

What about the cloud . My nephew set my iPhone up so information goes to cloud , he says a lot of people have it set up at store and don’t know about it.He told me if I lose all my information it can be retrieved from cloud
Closed Thread

Tags
turn, battery, samsung, information, transfer

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.