Security, on line banking

Closed Thread
Old 11-23-2008, 11:22 AM
Veteran member
Question Security, on line banking

I do all my banking online. My question is "If I visit TV can I depend on the Starbucks or the local hotel network to be secure?"
Old 11-23-2008, 11:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,354 Times in 2,392 Posts

Why would it be any different in TV?
Old 11-23-2008, 11:31 AM
Veteran member
Question

I am asking because I have not used anybody elses network for bank transactions. I always use my home network. Do Starbucks or others gather info from people accessing their network?
Old 11-23-2008, 11:34 AM

Using Starbucks or others outside of your home network (i.e., Verizon, Comcast, etc.), is NOT secure. You have no idea of knowing how their firewalls and security are set up.

I never do on-line banking when I am out of country or and wi-fi place. Not a good idea.
Trust me on this one.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:35 AM
Platinum member

Regardless of where you take your computer, someone would have to use your browser and your bank user names and passwords. That's at least four variables, plus if your bank is any good, they will recognize that the hacker is using a different computer than yours and will start asking security questions before giving access. I'd say that's pretty good security.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:40 AM

No, you're wrong. You didn't trust me
Old 11-23-2008, 11:51 AM
Veteran member
Default Not Secure

I would not use an open WiFi site for bank transactions. Recently here in Ohio a local tv station did a report on Internet usage at such open sites. They used a program that is available for free on the Internet to capture a users e-mail while they were sitting at another table. They then went over and informed the user what they had done and the person about fell on the floor. They used this example with the users consent on the news.

I would never use an open WiFi site for banking or any other secure transactions. You may want to check with your bank as they may have a branch in TV area. The bank that I have purchased a back in Florida and I can now do my banking at one of the branches. It is a short drive but I feel it is safer than an open WiFi site.

Oh by the way I do have a copy of that program that was used by the tv station and a number of others to monitor network traffic. Network support is my profession.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:15 PM
Veteran member
Unhappy

Thanks for the info. My Bank has a branch in FL but it is 30 miles from TV. I guess I will have to make the drive until we buy our home.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,354 Times in 2,392 Posts

Would the computers at the rec centers work? I do not think they are using a WiFi network
Old 11-23-2008, 01:15 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

All your access info should be encrypted and most banks takes on the liability for on line banking. They should monitor the computer the sign on comes from, and notify you when a different system logs in. We have an account at citizens that both my wife and I access from different computers in Virginia. Every time we log in after the other system has logged in, we have to answer security questions to gain access.

I have done on line banking from all over the world including Malaysia and China and have never had a problem. That said, I also buy an identity protection service that covers this issue. For almost all transactions, Internet banking is very safe. Problems have happened, but it is usually more around careless users.

Tags
banking, security, starbucks

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.