Should I cancel my AOL email service?

Closed Thread
Old 03-10-2017, 03:57 PM
Sage

I saw a pop up on our AOL account that offers AD-FREE access to AOL for a charge. Although I really dislike all the ads and the so-called "news" from the AOL website, I'm not going to pay them to drop the advertising.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,670 Times in 5,225 Posts

Just to clarify, you don't need any AOL software at all to get free email. Go to AOL.COM and set up an email address and password. You never need to load or use a software program.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:13 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I don't have a service issue. Just wondering why people laugh at me for using AOL. They also laugh at my flip phone. So, I guess I'll keep them both. I don't have any kids to tell me what to do.
My DH and I have I-phones. I love mine. My husband is begging to go back to an old-fashioned flip-phone. The youngsters behind the counter at BestBuy had problems holding back their giggles. We did not get one. But now I think I will go with the one that is always advertised in AARP - I think it's called Jitterbug for him and I will keep my i-phone. At this stage of our lives, there's no reason why we both shouldn't be happy with our choices. Just like you should be happy with yours.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK001 View Post
My DH and I have I-phones. I love mine. My husband is begging to go back to an old-fashioned flip-phone. The youngsters behind the counter at BestBuy had problems holding back their giggles. We did not get one. But now I think I will go with the one that is always advertised in AARP - I think it's called Jitterbug for him and I will keep my i-phone. At this stage of our lives, there's no reason why we both shouldn't be happy with our choices. Just like you should be happy with yours.
Same problem in this household. Husband was used to having Secretary to do EVERYTHING for him and at this time in life, does not want to learn a new phone system, it took him long enough to master the antiquated flip phone.

We have friends who own a large engineering company and the husband will not, absolutely not, go near a cell phone. His son purchased a flip phone with minutes for him and he has not used one minute. He has a landline and that is all he will use.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 03-10-2017, 05:55 PM
Veteran member

If you like it why does it matter what others think? Besides the nineties were awesome! 😉
Old 03-10-2017, 08:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSkol View Post
FROM AOL
"If you're already connected to the internet and don’t use AOL dial-up, you can still access AOL software, email and several other services at absolutely no cost.

Free AOL services include:

Your AOL Username and email account, accessible at mail.aol.com
AOL Desktop Software
AOL Instant Messenger (AIM)
AOL security services that protect you from spam, pop-ups and unknown viruses attached to emails
AOL Parental Controls to help ensure an safe online experience for your children
Contacts (your AOL Address Book)
AOL.com
AOL Video
AOL Radio
AOL Search

Our Dial-Up Access plan offers additional services not included in the free plan, such as:

Connection to the internet
24/7 tech support
Premium products and services, such as AOL Computer Checkup
McAfee Internet Security Suite – Special Edition"
I have the free AOL and access through the AOL - News, Weather, Entertainment, Finance & Lifestyle. Tech support is not currently included in the free service, however I did have a problem at one time and was able to get my problem solved by AOL twitter tech support. Really wierd that they would start charging since most places don't charge for email anymore. I do like my AOL and have had the same account since the early 90's but find that transferring photos to be cumbersome. I also have a gmail account and recommend that you get one if you like to transfer photos. Gmail allows you to transfer very large amount of photos easily.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:53 AM
Platinum member

Nothing wrong with AOL email. I use the free AOL email and it's the first and only email address I use. Why do they want you to switch? Don't switch. :-)
Old 03-11-2017, 08:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,670 Times in 5,225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedwards38 View Post
Nothing wrong with AOL email. I use the free AOL email and it's the first and only email address I use. Why do they want you to switch? Don't switch. :-)
I'm not going to switch. I just wanted to know if I was missing out on something because many people seem to think AOL is old fashioned. Apparently, there is no good reason to switch.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:44 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,063 Times in 532 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I have been using AOL email service forever, and, apparently, people laugh at me. Please let me know if I should switch, why I should switch, what service should I switch to, and what will happen to my contacts and 100 years of saved emails?
I quit AOL years ago, and use gmail... but I kept my AOL account because occasionally when I check it I hear from someone from long ago. That said, you don't just have to get gmail, you will need a mail program. One probably is already on your PC, but I suggest you go with Thunderbird.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:56 AM

Keep in mind that Google reads your Gmail in order to sell advertisements that target you. If that doesn't bother you, then go with Gmail.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:03 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,309 Times in 543 Posts
Default Stubborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Same problem in this household. Husband was used to having Secretary to do EVERYTHING for him and at this time in life, does not want to learn a new phone system, it took him long enough to master the antiquated flip phone.

We have friends who own a large engineering company and the husband will not, absolutely not, go near a cell phone. His son purchased a flip phone with minutes for him and he has not used one minute. He has a landline and that is all he will use.
With all due respect, some people are just "bullheaded". A retired person who had significant position and power in his/her employment will sometimes react in this way as a defense mechanism. Any "average" intelligent person can learn to use a smart phone very quickly if he/she chooses.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:06 AM
Send a message via AIM to HelenLCSW

AOL probably did not send that message --sounds like spam --if they did send it it refers to an additional service which you are not required to take. I have had AOL for years --no need to change. I have heard that gmail users are hacked more often than AOL USERS --don't know if that is true, but
Old 03-13-2017, 05:01 PM

I've had an aol address since it was still a regional service. I also have my own domain and gmail and a couple of addresses I never use. I see nothing wrong with keeping AOL. It's a lot better than Yahoo, which has proved to be very vulnerable to the hacking community.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:26 PM

I like your humor Bogie Shooter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Now that we know that, we will take over telling you what to do.
Would yo like to know your plans for tomorrow?
Old 03-13-2017, 06:42 PM

Has anyone else received the message from AOL that they are going to a new desktop software called "Gold" and they are going to charge a monthly subscription fee? I may be the only person in The Villages who has and is using the AOL Desktop software (Mine is version 9.8.2). It seems from the comments in this thread that most people reach their AOL mail through another program (like Xfinity, Google, or some other internet server).

For those of you that don't understand my question, do you get to AOL mail by clicking on an AOL icon from your computer screen and then get an AOL logon screen and a blue user screen with menu selections across the top? And very top of the screen reads "AOL Desktop Connected, Signed-ON". Like I said, I may be the only one in The Villages that accesses AOL directly.
Closed Thread

Tags
switch, service, email, aol, cancel

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.