Slow computer

Closed Thread
Old 08-08-2015, 11:05 AM
Default Slow computer

I have an older computer and a not as old computer, both are Dells. I know Comcast states you need THEIR new router but my oldest computer runs faster than the newer one. Seems to take forever for the computer to "think". I'm not in the position for a new computer and because I do genealogy I need both computers. HELP any suggestions appreciated. Thanking in advance.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:31 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanibel View Post
I have an older computer and a not as old computer, both are Dells. I know Comcast states you need THEIR new router but my oldest computer runs faster than the newer one. Seems to take forever for the computer to "think". I'm not in the position for a new computer and because I do genealogy I need both computers. HELP any suggestions appreciated. Thanking in advance.
Tell me the make, model and operating system you are using. Do you have the original operating system on a DVD? Do you have everything backed up on a separate external hard drive, DVD or memory stick?

A modem takes the comcast signal and converts it into a signal your computer understands. A router allows you to connect other computers on your network to the modem. Comcast sometimes provides both of these units built into one.

Invite someone to your house to log onto your network with their laptop just to be certain the network is OK.
Old 08-08-2015, 12:06 PM
Platinum member

Comcast sent out notices avout their modems possibly needing to be replaced if you are using their higher speed connections. We aren,t so we haven't updated and do not notice any slower service. Just the normal crappy overpriced connection.
Old 08-08-2015, 03:11 PM
Gold member

Could be Malware or Adware slowing you're computer down.
Old 08-08-2015, 03:57 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Is the problem when using the internet or is the computer also slow when not using the internet?
If the second try defragging the computer and also a cleaning program. try
https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner
https://www.piriform.com/defraggler
Should use on both computers
Old 08-08-2015, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Double or triple your memory and the problem will probably go away. Most newer programs and browsers are very memory intensive.
Old 08-08-2015, 06:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Have you tried doing a speed test? Google speed test and try doing the Xfinity speed test to see how fast your internet speed is.
Old 08-08-2015, 06:41 PM

First thing I would do is to run a full scan, not a quick scan. A full scan will take one and a half to two hours. I would then go to 'view details and run a registry clean up, file clean up etc.
Next, I would go to Control Panel, Program and Features, and on Uninstall Programs, check and see if any program has glommed onto your computer and delete unnecessary programs. Then I would restart my computer. I run a quick scan daily and while at Church either Saturdays or Sundays, I'll run a full scan and check for any programs that I don't want or need. Good luck to you as I'm sure there are lots of solutions. Hope some of this is of help to you.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:27 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve & Deanna View Post
First thing I would do is to run a full scan, not a quick scan. A full scan will take one and a half to two hours. I would then go to 'view details and run a registry clean up, file clean up etc.
Next, I would go to Control Panel, Program and Features, and on Uninstall Programs, check and see if any program has glommed onto your computer and delete unnecessary programs. Then I would restart my computer. I run a quick scan daily and while at Church either Saturdays or Sundays, I'll run a full scan and check for any programs that I don't want or need. Good luck to you as I'm sure there are lots of solutions. Hope some of this is of help to you.
Uninstalling programs can be a problem if you get the wrong program.
Create a restore point before you start cleaning and deleting programs. Do a search for restore and if that does not work try backup. You should have prior restore points also.If you do not turn on the automatic making of restore points. I have used restore to fix my computer ever few months.
Note you want to run the CREATE restore program and if anything goes wron then you do a recovery using the restore you just made.
Closed Thread

Tags
computer, forever, genealogy, suggestions, appreciated, thanking, advance, computers, position, oldest, dells, comcast, older, states, runs, faster, slow, router, newer

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.